Goodbye Jesus

Calvinism In Three Minutes -- From Paul Schrader's Movie "hardcore."

Llwellyn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHS591VUfN0

This video clip from the movie "Hardcore" shows Calvinism in three minutes, with an explanation of TULIP and the Canons of Dordt, with George C. Scott.  My favorite part of the clip is the line where the prostitute says:  "...and _I_ thought I was fucked up!"  How many former Calvinists out there?  You might want to check out the movie.

• Like 3

Wow!  Great clip!

I'd never heard of the TULIP acronym before watching that clip. Looked it up afterward via several sources.

Shaking my head. Aside from its own innate awfulness, that Clavinist creed is quite a reminder of how much horror has been inflicted on humanity in the name of sheer, bloody, made-up pernicious nonsense!

To think people have conducted wars and persecutions over such hairsplitting fantasies.

• Like 1

Never seen the movie. Ex Calvinist here...I don't miss it in the least.

Wait... you're ex-Catholic too, right? I can't find your raised catholic thread right now. So weird to be both ex-catholic and ex-calvinist, as I say also having been both. Aargh... I think the Catholic version is less awful and has better sense of human nature, at least. Plus better food.

Wait... you're ex-Catholic too, right? I can't find your raised catholic thread right now. So weird to be both ex-catholic and ex-calvinist, as I say also having been both. Aargh... I think the Catholic version is less awful and has better sense of human nature, at least. Plus better food.

Yes, I was raised Catholic, got sucked into Calvinism in college....almost 20 years in it. So the first 23 years of my life, a Catholic, the next about 20 -Calvinist.

Actually it was a combo of Primitive Baptist w/ the hyper calvinist bent. Very pious, UGH, No christmas, No Halloween, No Easter, No musical instruments..KJV only.

Everyone is doing buy bull religion wrong -but them. rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif I like to refer to them as God's "frozen chosen" because so many of them have little humanity left.

I agree, the Catholics certainly seem more humanitarian, at least they do support Social Services, which the independent Calvinists I guarantee do not do much for anyone, except

for those in the Tribe. After all, Jesus said, "the poor ye have with you always..." so don't worry about them. the important thing is the Church. BLEGH that's what is taught. :(

The ifb calvin cult i left never once sang the song we always sang when i was catholic, "and they'll know we are Christians by our love by our love, yes they'll know we are

Christians by our love..." NEVER. The dogma is so morose and crushes the human spirit. Just my opinion.

Ex-pastard taught TULIP, but denies now that he's calvinist, he's just teaching what's in the babel. Yeah...right. roll eyes.

The guy has never had an original thought. Sad.

Well, I'm just glad to be out of that hell on earth. :) Yaay us who escaped!! Woot!

LOL on the better food! My Catholic church always had donuts and coffee afterwards & socializing. That was fun.

That's what I looked forward to! LOL :)

Not so much fun socializing in the calvin cult. I mean we had pot lucks, but not often. (the food was LAME! Ugh)

Even if it was social, the relationships were SO superficial...everyone was afraid to be themselves for fear of being

found out and possibly rebuked from the pulpit. Which happened a LOT. Being made a sermon illustration was something

that was very painful to endure. We were used as sermon fodder many times, the wicked rebellious people we were!

We refused to kiss the IFB Calvinists Pope's ring! He didn't like that....

Another ex-calvinist here.  Been laughing at the "perseverance of the saints" lunacy for 5 years now.

• Like 1

Well, NeverAgainV, my only pity for you is that you weren't also... Pentecostal! There's nothing like having the tuba on one side blaring "Power in the Blood," Sister Beulah screaming in tongues on the other, the pastor's white shoes glistening as he dances back and forth, and you're wondering why your watch seems to have stopped moving.

• Like 2

Well, NeverAgainV, my only pity for you is that you weren't also... Pentecostal! There's nothing like having the tuba on one side blaring "Power in the Blood," Sister Beulah screaming in tongues on the other, the pastor's white shoes glistening as he dances back and forth, and you're wondering why your watch seems to have stopped moving.

LOL! Oh i can picture the insanity of it all. GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif Wendytwitch.gif  I actually was suckered into going to a Pentecostal service & I was wearing pants and the woman pastor was going on and on about how godly women don't wear what "pertaineth to a man...blah blah..." basically shaming me, as I was the only female w/ pants. They also sang "power in the blood". LOL

At that time I had been listening to the sermons of the Calvin cult, so Pentecostalism was a big no-no.

I don't know if i ever would have went the Pentecostal way as the solemness of religion was a part of Catholicism. The same w/ the Calvin cult, religion was to be serious, orderly - God is a god of order - etc. Also the Calvinists already put it in my head that the "gifts of the spirit" were done away with, so all those people running around were being deceived and influenced by "the god of this world"= satan. LOL

It's all pretty much a mind fuck. It is so great to be on the other side. :)

Its sheer awfulness makes Calvinism self-refuting.

Calvanism is for special people, or those who want to be special.