Goodbye Jesus

Satanism As Literature?

mymistake

Anybody else notice that upon leaving Christianity suddenly Satanism becomes far more interesting in stories?  I find myself enjoying the Hellboy movies and video games where you battle against evil gods or demons.  I don't know if it's from all the years of denying myself this corner of human stories or what.  I got to watch the pinhead movies for the first time and all sorts of movies about raising devils and so on.  As a Christian I felt guilty for watching Ghostbusters.  Now it's like good clean fun.

Yeah, he's just a more compelling character than gawd & co.

Not that I could take anything like satanism seriously- I'm just saying that some mythological characters are more interesting than others.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. For me it would have to be Laveyan Satanism though. I have looked at a preview of it on amazon and it sounds like something that might work out for me. Lavey's works seem philosophical in nature but they also seem to show a true understanding of the way that the world works. But any other form of Satanism is a no go for me. Laveyan Satanism is also atheistic in nature, a plus if that might describe you. Or even agnostic.

Atheistic Satanism is very appealing to me. I was a dabbling Satanist for a few years before falling into Christianity, so for me, it's like a return to an old friend.

I do not share the attraction to what some may consider to be "satanic" images or characters. My "satanic" things of choice are mostly graphic, gory and just plain weird mangas (Japanese comics) and the occasional blasting of some heavy metal. I also read a lot and have found myself reading darker, more sex-laden stories than I would allow myself to read when I was trying to be a "good Christian".

It's nice to be free of the Jesus-y restraints, at any rate. No more invisible guy standing over my shoulder, ticking off boxes on his naughty or nice list. :P

• Like 1

Ohh yes guy above me. can so relate. And heavy rock (I.e. Rob Zombie, Metallica and Death stars to name a few) has been a favorite of mine for years even as I Christian when I secretly longed for it like a lover. I have also been taking in more darker and edgier things without any kind of guilt. Laveyan Satanism is right on the money with fulfilling all your filthy pleasures guilt free. After all it's human nature right? Plus I feel so good afterwards.

(Maybe I'm not really sure what you mean by Satanism - the organized religion Satanism, or just the presence of devils and whatnot in a vaguely Judeo-Christian aesthetic context?)

Hellboy is a great series of graphic novels, though. Exquisite research and writing, really.

I've also been a fan of the Diablo games. Currently playing Diablo III, and loving it. It's a lot more forgiving with character builds than the earlier versions. I'll just have to see how it goes. Working on a Sorcerer right now in multi-player with a Barbarian.

(Maybe I'm not really sure what you mean by Satanism - the organized religion Satanism, or just the presence of devils and whatnot in a vaguely Judeo-Christian aesthetic context?)

Hellboy is a great series of graphic novels, though. Exquisite research and writing, really.

I've also been a fan of the Diablo games. Currently playing Diablo III, and loving it. It's a lot more forgiving with character builds than the earlier versions. I'll just have to see how it goes. Working on a Sorcerer right now in multi-player with a Barbarian.

For me it has been a casual interest in games and stories.  I was wondering if anybody else had any similar experience.  But those interested in it as a religion are welcome to toss their comments in as well.