Goodbye Jesus

Any Idea

jdog

Since deconversion in '08.

I have been very switched off to the idea or notion of there being a god but have never claimed the label of atheist outright. More agnostic bordering atheist.

And I have not been searching for any kind of spiritual belief. Though I may meditate and do things that maybe considered spiritual, I do them only for relaxation purposes to calm anxiety problem I have. And my focus is peace and calm within myself, I'm not seeking or worshiping a "higher power"

I know that we ought not do labels because we are continually changing, evolving. Labels can keep us in a box but it can help to say this is where I am right now. I know we always have that freedom to change our minds. Hellooooo,

We are ex c's. :)

I just want to know if what I DO CURRENTLY believe or not believe actually has a name or definition so maybe I could read info on it.

So as of now I do not believe in bible god. I Do not believe there is a god or being who is like a person, who sees, hears etc. and watches us and is involved in our lives, I do not believe there's a creator of any kind.

Sometimes, only sometimes I think perhaps there is some kind of "energy" or "force" but it's not god. It's just "something". I usually get that "feeling" when I look at the night sky, I find moon and stars fascinating. Or when there's a storm or natural disaster, or I'm at the beach and I encounter huge waves, or when I encounter incredible scenery or wonders of nature. I use to live out West in Arizona and New Mexico.

I often feel a connection to earth and nature, Though I do NOT look to a being behind the scenes like there's someone I need to thank for it all.

I am just in the moment and enjoy nature, and in awe of if. I always have ever since I was a child. It helps calm me.

Sometimes I also think that people as diverse and different as we all are across the globe we perhaps ARE connected somehow but then

the majority of times I'm dissatisfied with people and life as we know it on earth and I feel no connection. (No offense to you lovely people here). And I am on my own a lot.

I wish there was something better out there.

I often think "is this it?"

And yes I am married, have kids, all of that.

It still all seems "what's the point?"

Sometimes to me. Don't get me wrong. I love, love them and I find much to enjoy but there's always that

I'm not entirely happy. I'm just here and doing my best . We are born, we live, we die and then that's it.

I don't think I've ever been entirely satisfied. Even after finding Jesus it was a temporary satisfaction and that euphoria wore off and things changed over time.

So that's where I am.

I don't know if I have made any sense or there's any label or category for what I believe.

I just wanted to get this written down really.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Hi JDog, I have similar feelings and thoughts about the God question.  What you described above I read as Atheism. As atheism is merely a lack of theism.  That I think is the label, "atheism", a lack of belief in God or gods. Adam

I just want to know if what I DO CURRENTLY believe or not believe actually has a name or definition so maybe I could read info on it.

You are one who doesn't give a damn.

I'm pretty much the same myself, even doing the meditation and such. And for me it's not so much that I don't believe in any higher power, I just don't care to think of it, but if I do think of it I'll most likely say I there is none at all, but since I don't think it matters I don't need to offer any further thought at all to it.

I would say of the conventional labels agnostic/atheist best covers that as its not a belief that there is no God, but no belief that there is a God.

For the pedant there are subcategories to atheism and agnosticism too to more specifically describe your lack of belief in God.

Maybe there's a quiz you can take wink.png

EDIT: Found one - http://www.selectsmart.com/plus/select.php?url=pantheists

Sometimes, only sometimes I think perhaps there is some kind of "energy" or "force" but it's not god. It's just "something". I usually get that "feeling" when I look at the night sky, I find moon and stars fascinating. Or when there's a storm or natural disaster, or I'm at the beach and I encounter huge waves, or when I encounter incredible scenery or wonders of nature. I use to live out West in Arizona and New Mexico.

I often feel a connection to earth and nature, Though I do NOT look to a being behind the scenes like there's someone I need to thank for it all.

I am just in the moment and enjoy nature, and in awe of if. I always have ever since I was a child. It helps calm me.

I don't think I've ever been entirely satisfied.

Jgod hon, I can releate to your whole post. The whole thing. If I could change my whole past now, I would. But I can't turn back the hands of the clock so I have to try to make the best of every situation....and sometimes it is not an easy job because I am in situations and I am a different person now than when I joined this board.......so I gotta make the best of everything.

My 'higher power' is me now!! biggrin.png yellow.gif  That's sounds kind of vain but I don't mean it in that way. I know now that if change is going to happen, I have to do the work. I seemed to always procrastinate thinking and waiting for 'gawd' to give me the big 'go-ahead' sign and 'he'd' fix all my problems. Now I know it 's up to me. I'm in charge now.

One of the biggest things I've had to do is change my thinking. Completely. I want to be positive so I have a lot of 'brain neurons' that must be changed. My neurons are addicted to how I was 'programed' by the whole damn world and that's what I'm working on right now. Plus, I have a lot of anger in me that I have to let go of. So, changing my thoughts and repeating how I want to feel now, over and over again, until my brain changes... which is starting to happen with the occasional 'slip'.

This is my hero. I love Dr. Joe Dispenza and I know many don't. But I do and he helps me soooo much. Maybe you would like to listen to him. If you don't like him...that's OK..I know you'll find what you are looking for eventually cause you're a smart lady!!

Anyway...that's the foolish stuff I'm into right now.... fills me up with some happiness. Why not?? We deserve it!

Big *hug*

There's an ancient idea, The Tree of Life.  It's kind of what you're talking about.  Of the ancient models, I like this one.

• Like 2

I don't think I've ever been entirely satisfied.

Jgod hon, I can releate to your whole post. The whole thing. If I could change my whole past now, I would. But I can't turn back the hands of the clock so I have to try to make the best of every situation....and sometimes it is not an easy job because I am in situations and I am a different person now than when I joined this board.......so I gotta make the best of everything.

My 'higher power' is me now!! biggrin.pngyellow.gif That's sounds kind of vain but I don't mean it in that way. I know now that if change is going to happen, I have to do the work. I seemed to always procrastinate thinking and waiting for 'gawd' to give me the big 'go-ahead' sign and 'he'd' fix all my problems. Now I know it 's up to me. I'm in charge now.

One of the biggest things I've had to do is change my thinking. Completely. I want to be positive so I have a lot of 'brain neurons' that must be changed. My neurons are addicted to how I was 'programed' by the whole damn world and that's what I'm working on right now. Plus, I have a lot of anger in me that I have to let go of. So, changing my thoughts and repeating how I want to feel now, over and over again, until my brain changes... which is starting to happen with the occasional 'slip'.

This is my hero. I love Dr. Joe Dispenza and I know many don't. But I do and he helps me soooo much. Maybe you would like to listen to him. If you don't like him...that's OK..I know you'll find what you are looking for eventually cause you're a smart lady!!

Anyway...that's the foolish stuff I'm into right now.... fills me up with some happiness. Why not?? We deserve it!

Big *hug*

I really liked the video and what the doctor said. I've never heard of him before.

I'll have to watch and listen again. I did listen all the way through but I don't know about you but for me it takes a while for me to absorb or retain information.

I have to read something a few times before things sink in.

You are going through what I've been doing it seems, or similar.

I have been saying that I'm re training or re wiring my brain. I have read that term somewhere and understand that we can do it.

Just like the doctor was saying.

It does take effort to do it, practice, repetition. To replace old thinking habits with new ones, replace old negative messages we were told or heard along the way with positive ones.

I am wanting to lose negative thoughts, I think I've improved a lot in the negative self talk. Thoughts of that I'm not good enough, that message didn't come just from religion but from upbringing too.

I have a lot of baggage from childhood, teen years. Abuse crap.

And so I've been working on changing the way I think.

And I have anxiety. GAD. And in a way anxiety is a habit our brain gets stuck in.

I have been in a state of fight or flight though I'm not in any danger for years. It's not a healthy state to be in.

I've been in hyper drive.

Though medication helps I have wanted to overcome with brain re training.

I read how we can "trick" the brain and we can re set it to tell it that everything is safe and fine and it doesn't have to keep telling us danger, danger!

I don't find it easy especially at my age but I know I don't want to carry on the way I've been living in fear and anxiety. I maybe going off topic here but just saying about the brain and how it gets stuck in "habits".

I don't see a therapist though I have in the past but finding the right one is like finding a needle in a haystack so I find books, videos online info.

I don't think it's vanity when you say that you are your "higher power".

I think we are on the same path because I've been saying the past couple of years well

"It's just Me and Myself and I now"

and that's it.

No one is going to do it for me, no one can change me but me.

It's all within me.

So it looks like my original self appointed label of agnostic/atheist is about right and is it for now and it may probably be like it for a long time.

Thank you Margee for your post and video.

Always good stuff.

Hugs

• Like 1

There's an ancient idea, The Tree of Life. It's kind of what you're talking about. Of the ancient models, I like this one.

Thanks, I'll look it up.

• Super Moderator

Hold your name up in front of a mirror; there you will find your "god j". 

There may not be a label that fits you and you're free to make one up for yourself.  I call myself an "apatheist" because I really don't care about god at all.  I'd like to say I invented that label, but I didn't; I stole it from a very clever friend of mine.

• Like 2

You are one who doesn't give a damn.

I'm pretty much the same myself, even doing the meditation and such. And for me it's not so much that I don't believe in any higher power, I just don't care to think of it, but if I do think of it I'll most likely say I there is none at all, but since I don't think it matters I don't need to offer any further thought at all to it.

I would say of the conventional labels agnostic/atheist best covers that as its not a belief that there is no God, but no belief that there is a God.

For the pedant there are subcategories to atheism and agnosticism too to more specifically describe your lack of belief in God.

Maybe there's a quiz you can take wink.png

EDIT: Found one - http://www.selectsmart.com/plus/select.php?url=pantheists

Oh that quiz.

I took it a while back. I think it was posted in this group.

I think I was annoyed with the results or something. The percentages were all off for me I felt. I think it said Agnostic though. I am not going to take the quiz again.

Yeah, I think I'm fine with agnostic/atheist.

It seems to fit me more than anything else. And really it's not a pressing matter. It's really ok for me not to care that much. I'm not searching.

I'm just living one day at a time. That's enough.

I suppose with my love for nature I was wondering did it mean there was something else but it seems we can love nature and be earthy people and be agnostic or atheist.

I know I've posted several separate posts. I'm using cell phone. Couldn't do a multi quote.

Thank you Adam5.

Professor, Thank you too. That's a good one. Clever.

Maybe I'll come up with my own nifty label.

Or just not bother. Its ok.

:)

Thank you Margee for your post and video.

Always good stuff.

Hugs

Jdog, I can't tell you my whole life story, but what I can tell you is that by the time I figured out that there probably wasn't a god, I had my body and mind in such a state of hate....it was poison. My hair had fallen out, my body seized up on me (it still does if I'm not careful) and my skin breaks out into horrible rashes. That's how stress comes out in me.

I am working so hard on changing all of it back to 'love' inside. I'm the kind of person who smiles at the whole goddamn world while I'm contemplating suicide!! Wendytwitch.gif  I resented life and some of the 'blows' I've had to face. But, I knew to carry on with these feelings - I would die really young.

That's what your thoughts can do to you!! I have known the importance of this for many years and have helped many others but I put it on the shelf for me because I liked the anger. It fueled me to have the guts to start speaking up.  I tried very hard not to take it out on anyone but it was showing up in me. I was getting very sick. I didn't talk about it very much on EX-c.....I just kept whining and whining about 'life'. Now I am going to do something about it and I feel extremely positive again. I just re-watched this. I'm 'pumped' for the night!! I hope it helps you too!

Big *hug*

• Like 1