Goodbye Jesus

Got A Question…

saxyroze

I was wondering if there is a technical name for the belief that all religions, no matter their conflicting attributes and creeds, have one basic thing in common, (a god(ess), creator, lover, father/mother, and destroyer) therefore, they’re all worshiping the same ultimate supernatural being…just in different ways? I’m just curious. :shrug:

ooops.. .this was supposed to be in the theological room.... :Doh:

Hi Saxyrose,

Hinduism teaches that all souls are really god, and that only our delusion of separateness keeps us in a cycle of reincarnation until we realize our true identity (god) and are absorbed into god at death. Much like buddhism.

My understanding is that Hindu deities are really just an extension of the Great Divine. So as long as you look to a god or goddess you're on the right track. Even if that deity is christian or moslem.

The Upanishads make for interesting reading about this philosophy (I suggest the Penguin Classics version - the translation is really good). :wink:

Are you thinking of religious pluralism? That is the term that describes the idea that all religions worship the same god and that all religions are paths to god, just different paths on the same mountain... blah blah. :)

hey pandora....can I open your box? :lol: I crack myself up...

I know there's a word for one god, a thousand names....but I can't remember.

Are you thinking of religious pluralism? That is the term that describes the idea that all religions worship the same god and that all religions are paths to god, just different paths on the same mountain... blah blah.

Nah, that's the Perennial Philosophy.

Religious pluralism is the idea that all religions are valid choices, and it's okay to practice any religion you like. Which says something a bit different than all religions are paths to god or worship the same god.

Are you thinking of religious pluralism? That is the term that describes the idea that all religions worship the same god and that all religions are paths to god, just different paths on the same mountain... blah blah. :)

That idea is basically nice, though I have one minor objection. "The same God" sounds like there just has to be one supreme mind, personality, whatever. I'd prefer the term "one Divine force" as this fits the polytheistic belief systems much better. One force that can manifest in one or many personalities.

There's a name for that for sure, but I can't remember right now. I only remember that the Rosicrusians I'd been visiting for some years postulated this exact idea as one of their basic tenets. ;)