Goodbye Jesus

"god's" Work

Minette

Here's an example of god's work that was revealed by a relative on FB this weekend. A few months ago his wife miscarried. They were, of course, devastated over the loss of the pregnancy but were sure god had a plan in store for them. Well, this weekend they announced god's plan was fulfilled because now she is pregnant with twins! Hallelujah, god aborted and killed off the first fetus to make room for two more! God had a plan for them all along. 

Yeah. Wow. Sort of like god killing off all of Job's kids, then "replacing" them with more after his bet with the devil was all done.

Hey, sez god, they're just humans. Completely replaceable. It's not as if every, single individual has an inividual identity, feels individual pain, or has an individual life to live out.

Here's an example of god's work that was revealed by a relative on FB this weekend. A few months ago his wife miscarried. They were, of course, devastated over the loss of the pregnancy but were sure god had a plan in store for them. Well, this weekend they announced god's plan was fulfilled because now she is pregnant with twins! Hallelujah, god aborted and killed off the first fetus to make room for two more! God had a plan for them all along. 

Yeah. Wow. Sort of like god killing off all of Job's kids, then "replacing" them with more after his bet with the devil was all done.

Hey, sez god, they're just humans. Completely replaceable. It's not as if every, single individual has an inividual identity, feels individual pain, or has an individual life to live out.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/god-reveals-he-occasionally-eats-humans,34264/

• Like 1

I always find it very arrogant when people claim to have an received an answer to prayer. It's an odd sort of arrogance, because it goes in the guise of humility, but it is arrogance nonetheless. To give the glory for our successes to God seems to be a humble thing to do, because we are, after all, not claiming the credit ourselves. But what we are really saying is that the creator and master of the universe cares enough about me to fix some (usually) insignificant problem in my life. Meanwhile there are seven billion other people on the planet who apparently just don't merit this sort of favour, at least not if they happen to have a real problem, like, say, that they are starving to death. As Christopher Hitchens put it, "The man who prays is the one who thinks that god has arranged matters all wrong, but who also thinks that he can instruct god how to put them right."

I so agree with you!  In my experience, the common denominator among these people who claim to have answered prayers:

It's all about meeeeeeeeeeee!

It IS all about me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As long as I get what I want from God, NOTHING else matters. As someone from a certain rant website says, "My needs are more important than someone else's needs."

I should know, I hang out with people like that. As a matter of fact, that person once said that if he saw a starving child, he would get his best food and eat it in front of that child, throw a scrap on the floor, stamp on it, and THEN give it to that kid.

I always had problems believing that such things were the work of god, even as a christian.  I would always think something like, "Why would god care if I got to the right classroom or not when just last week I prayed for Uncle Don to be healed of cancer and he still has it?"  Then, of course, I'd be racked with guilt over doubting god's plan and such.  The futility of prayer was probably the first and foremost factor in my deconversion.

I agree. I never really saw the point of prayer. As a kid, I was always told that God has my whole life planned out and he knows my thoughts, he knows my heart, etc. I always thought, "What is prayer meant to do? God knows what I'm thinking so he knows when I'm thankful, he knows when I feel regret so he knows when I'm deserving of forgiveness, and everything that happens is part of his plan and happens for a reason. Why would prayer change anything?" 

Ugh… when I moved from christianity to new age then it was all, 'synchronicity', and 'creating your own reality' ...and the universe responds.. etc..

same crap with another name.. it can MESS with your head.. because you start interpreting everything this way. Either way it's a symptom of ego.. the universe, god, whatever thinks you are SO special that it/he will bend the rules of the universe for your god damn parking spot.

They're special, all right  GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

That was one of my biggest issues with Christianity; the ego. God wants YOU; God loves YOU; God has a special job for YOU; YOU are special; YOU are unique; YOU are better than other groups; God died for YOU; God will answer YOUR prayers; God is calling YOU; YOU; YOU! Cripes, it's not healthy to think about yourself so much because it can and does mess with your head. I was taught these things as a child at an age when most people are already self-centered. 

Someone once told me, "God only cares about Christians."

Oh? Then explain something to me. Why did I never experience God's presence as a child? Why did nothing amazing and "miracle-like" happen when I was a kid? When I was 5, I lost my pencil and prayed for God to help me find it and I found it. I thanked God for his help. (For the record, now I know that I found my pencil because I actually looked for it.) From that day onward, I got nothing. When I was being abused, enslaved, and molested, I got nothing. When I was molested and raped by someone I trusted, I got nothing. No one came to help me, no magical friend was there to comfort me, my mother prayed to God for guidance and we got NOTHING. My life never got better until my sister and I confronted my mom and forced her to make a decision; "him or us" and she chose us. 

So does God simply care more about missing pencils and incorrect college classrooms than abused children and raped women? Or maybe he is a weak god who can only fix small things? Or maybe he doesn't exist at all and things are fixed because people take the initiative to fix them? Which is is? Is God cruel, useless, or fake because I really don't see any other option.

Toobis once said, "God only cares about certain people." Just like I only care about the people in Greenland and only help the people in Greenland, for example. it's that simple.

Toobis once said, "God only cares about certain people." Just like I only care about the people in Greenland and only help the people in Greenland, for example. it's that simple.

Oh, yes. Toobis. That great, wise, and beloved troll former member of Ex-C alias for chrisassaf.

So your god creates the entire known universe -- hundreds of billions of galaxies, countless planets, species, etc. ... and he only cares about a few selected members of one favored species on one obscure little planet? Who just happen to include -- by golly! -- YOU.

It takes a truly stunning degree of narcissism to think of yourself being so very, very special.

• Like 3

I always find it very arrogant when people claim to have an received an answer to prayer. It's an odd sort of arrogance, because it goes in the guise of humility, but it is arrogance nonetheless. To give the glory for our successes to God seems to be a humble thing to do, because we are, after all, not claiming the credit ourselves. But what we are really saying is that the creator and master of the universe cares enough about me to fix some (usually) insignificant problem in my life. Meanwhile there are seven billion other people on the planet who apparently just don't merit this sort of favour, at least not if they happen to have a real problem, like, say, that they are starving to death. As Christopher Hitchens put it, "The man who prays is the one who thinks that god has arranged matters all wrong, but who also thinks that he can instruct god how to put them right."

I so agree with you!  In my experience, the common denominator among these people who claim to have answered prayers:

It's all about meeeeeeeeeeee!

It IS all about me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As long as I get what I want from God, NOTHING else matters. As someone from a certain rant website says, "My needs are more important than someone else's needs."

I should know, I hang out with people like that. As a matter of fact, that person once said that if he saw a starving child, he would get his best food and eat it in front of that child, throw a scrap on the floor, stamp on it, and THEN give it to that kid.

Uh-oh, the troll is back. He's hiding under a bridge and eating people again! Someone stop him! screams.gif

• Like 1

Let's don't feed the troll.  Instead, let's all pray that his God will provide for him what he deserves and needs.

• Like 1