Goodbye Jesus

I Hate Christians!

Mudhoney

I’ve been thinking about this throughout the day, and one thing I keep coming back to is that the god they worship disgusts me. I think the character of biblegod is vile and wildly abusive toward the people he supposedly created. And my parents love this imaginary thing more than me. And I hear people praising this thing and thanking it for things. It would be like someone hearing me say “And I want to thank Adolph Hitler (or any other vile person) for providing my breakfast this morning and providing me with a roof over my head. Adolph Hitler is good.” (A friend this morning thanked god for her breakfast and for putting a roof over her head.) I have to make some friends who are not xtian. My best friend used to be my sister but I deconverted and she didn’t. I can’t confide in her anymore. A few of my co-workers I’m friendly with are Catholic and pretty serious about it. There are not enough non-xtians/non-religious people in the world. I feel alone.

• Like 2

We feel ya, Mudhoney.  And Christians don't actually make up the majority of the global population, at least night the fundagelical variety.  They just make up a vocal presence in 'murica and other places of influence.  You are not alone.

• Like 1

I’ve been thinking about this throughout the day, and one thing I keep coming back to is that the god they worship disgusts me. I think the character of biblegod is vile and wildly abusive toward the people he supposedly created. And my parents love this imaginary thing more than me. And I hear people praising this thing and thanking it for things. It would be like someone hearing me say “And I want to thank Adolph Hitler (or any other vile person) for providing my breakfast this morning and providing me with a roof over my head. Adolph Hitler is good.” (A friend this morning thanked god for her breakfast and for putting a roof over her head.) I have to make some friends who are not xtian. My best friend used to be my sister but I deconverted and she didn’t. I can’t confide in her anymore. A few of my co-workers I’m friendly with are Catholic and pretty serious about it. There are not enough non-xtians/non-religious people in the world. I feel alone.

Well I can see why you are mad.  Your family has been bad to you.  It's not fair.  It's the "they shouldn't" that generates the anger.  But you have to come to terms with the fact that these people suffer from ridged thinking.  That doesn't mean you have to let them keep on hurting you.  But you can recognize what they are and predict what they will do.

• Super Moderator

A wise man told me very early in my deconversion that when I get angry it is because I am not getting something that I want.  He told me to ask myself what it was I wasn't getting and then ask myself if I really needed that particular thing to live a healthy life.  If the answer was "No", which it usually was/is, then I could just walk away from the anger, having understood its nature, and not return to it.  I hope this helps.

I should add that on the rare occasion that the answer is "Yes" then I have the option of channeling my anger into getting what it is I want/need. 

A wise man told me very early in my deconversion that when I get angry it is because I am not getting something that I want.  He told me to ask myself what it was I wasn't getting and then ask myself if I really needed that particular thing to live a healthy life.  If the answer was "No", which it usually was/is, then I could just walk away from the anger, having understood its nature, and not return to it.  I hope this helps.

I should add that on the rare occasion that the answer is "Yes" then I have the option of channeling my anger into getting what it is I want/need. 

I’m angry that xtianity is hurting people and there’s nothing I can do about it. I think the “want” here is for xtianity to stop hurting people but I know this isn’t going to happen so I can say that no, I don’t need for this to happen for me to live a healthy life (because if I did need for it to happen to live a healthy life, and it’s not going to happen, probably ever, then I would have to live an angry, unhealthy life).

I’m angry that I had a crappy childhood because of xtianity. I can’t change this. If I need for this happen, knowing that I can’t change it, then there is no way to live a healthy life. To live a healthy life, I have to accept that I can’t change this.

Am I doing this right? Is this along the lines of how to apply this?

One question I have to ask is....why is it so important to go on Facebook? I send friends direct emails and talk on the phone. I control my own environment that way.

I deleted the content on my page and deactivated the account. I feel better already.

• Super Moderator

I’m angry that xtianity is hurting people and there’s nothing I can do about it. I think the “want” here is for xtianity to stop hurting people but I know this isn’t going to happen so I can say that no, I don’t need for this to happen for me to live a healthy life (because if I did need for it to happen to live a healthy life, and it’s not going to happen, probably ever, then I would have to live an angry, unhealthy life).

I’m angry that I had a crappy childhood because of xtianity. I can’t change this. If I need for this happen, knowing that I can’t change it, then there is no way to live a healthy life. To live a healthy life, I have to accept that I can’t change this.

Am I doing this right? Is this along the lines of how to apply this?

I think that what you are discovering is that acceptance is the key to a healthy life.  So, yes, I would say that you are applying the questions correctly.

I, too, had a horrible childhood as a result of christianity and spent a good deal of time being angry over it during my deconversion.  But, like you, I realized that I could not change anything; I could only move forward with what I had to work with.  Letting go of the past and accepting what happened were tremendously liberating for me.

I'm sure you have heard the serentity prayer--god, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.  I am not a praying man, obviously; but I do appreciate the sentiments expressed.  Therefore, when I am in a moment of anger, I often say to myself, "I have the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.  I have the courage to change the things I can.  I have the wisdom to know the difference."  It helps to remind myself that I have these things and that I don't need to pray for them.

This, too, shall pass.

• Like 1

I don’t want to speak to another xtian for as long as I live, even the ones I’m related to. I feel like asking people if they’re xtian before I even deal with them. I certainly don’t want any of them around my children. What do I do? Is this going to pass? It’s been a few years since I deconverted and I went through an EXTREMELY ANGRY phase but now the anger is back. Even worse, I think, because now it’s directed at people and not just the religion. I’ve been thinking about counseling, so this is an option. I’m just getting so tired of xtianity in my life. It’s still a negative presence in my life and I don’t want the rest of my life to be this way.

Hi Mudhoney.  I want to say that I am quite pleased at your comment regarding keeping your children from Christianity.

There's a general assumption, even among non-Christians and nominal Christians, that being a Christian is a morally upright thing.  People often positively describe others by saying "X is a good Christian man/woman."  Christians who are politically active refer to the public enforcement of Christianity as "promoting family values."

Let me stop right there and ask: when did Christianity become a family-friendly religion?  You yourself said that that it ruined your childhood.  Christians send missionaries all over the world and break up families by converting young people to Christianity.  They do the same by evangelizing young college students on university campuses here in the United States.  Unless you family has been entirely Christianized for two generations, Christianity is the worst thing ever for a family.  If you are a Christian, it means that you are a member of a cult that preys on children.  If I had children, I'd put Christianity in the same category as drugs and gangs in terms of things I want them kept away from.

I think you are also right to compare the Christian deity to Adolf Hitler (or any other genocidal despot of your choice).  I have no problem with the concept of God in general, indeed I think that most world religions have wonderful portrayals of God.  But the Christian god, Jesus, is uniquely wicked in that he invented the concept of hell.  Before Jesus, Judaism had no general doctrine of eternal conscious torment (and it still doesn't).  Jesus introduced this idea.  Even worse, he created a system in which sentences to hell are not based on one's behavior, but on belief in the efficacy of his personal sacrifice as a means of substitutionary atonement.  Here is a system in which Gandhi is currently suffering eternal conscious torment in hell while Jeffrey Dahmer is in heaven.  Even Islam, for all its other problems, doesn't go this far!

I don't blame you for wanting to know if someone is a Christian before deciding whether you want to associate them.  Being a good Christian makes one a bad person.  I have no problem with nominal and liberal Christians, but only because they don't take their evil religion seriously.  If someone is an evangelical Christian, I would not choose to be friends with them.  I don't want evangelicals coming into my home, leaving their literature with me, talking to my wife, or in any other way entering my life.  How can I politely interact with a person who thinks that I'm going to suffer eternal torment for not converting to a recently-invented Western religion?  To put it simply, I do not approve of the evangelical lifestyle, I find it both evil and ungodly.

I do not find your position strange at all.  I actively avoid evangelicals whenever possible.  Fortunately I don't interact with evangelicals often at work, since I'm a scientist and my profession doesn't attract a lot of evangelicals.  There are a couple of them in my physics department, and honestly I just avoid talking to them as much as I can.  I don't think I could ever be friends with an evangelical or even live in a neighborhood heavily populated by them.

• Like 1

I can tell you that if someone advertises their Christianity in a business listing, that automatically excludes them. I really think its done plenty of damage to society and I become suspicious of their motives.

As far as Facebook goes, it isn't particularly useful, since a person should be careful about what personal information they put online for all the world to see. The so-called privacy settings seem to change often and there are more and more ads. If you happen to buy something online, you are barraged with ads forever.   I don't like the idea that potential employers look up Facebook. I feel it is not safe to express yourself on.  Of course any online communication is risky.

Wow...I resonated completely with what you were saying.  It's like I have felt this churning inside me for weeks and weeks and not really WANTED to sit here hating these people but when I read your post I was almost shouting a YES!!!!!!  I hate them for worshiping someone so horrible and vile to me.  A god that would bless our little spoiled American ass with a great parking spot in front of Walmart so we could all go buy a bunch of shit we don't need while our Christian brothers and sisters in the Sudan or wherever are just "called to suffer" or maybe even get martyred for his "glory".  If he is all they claim he is but he won't even be bothered to stop the horrors of the world then he is no loving god at all.  Yet they make all kinds of excuses for his horrid behavior.  I am disgusted with the lot of them and their god. 

• Like 3

One question I have to ask is....why is it so important to go on Facebook? I send friends direct emails and talk on the phone. I control my own environment that way.

Yep! Stay away from Facebook. Problem solved.

You're not the first person in the world to get all riled up over something said on Facebook. Too much stupid drama and assholeism going on there.

Yep! Stay away from Facebook. Problem solved.

You're not the first person in the world to get all riled up over something said on Facebook. Too much stupid drama and assholeism going on there.

There is a mathematical formula I created to calculate the douchiness level of any given area. I call this The Douche Hypothesis:

The douchiness level of any given area is directly proportional to the number of said people condensed into a given area.

There are good people in the world, but people have only so much they can give before they start to not give a care and the people around them become another brick in the wall. Unlike a regular online community, you don't even have the benefit of relative anonymity. An anonymous person it is easier to ignore, but with people you actual know you have more of an investment and on a personal level.

@Mudhoney, No need to say more, understood

• Like 1

I deleted the content on my page and deactivated the account. I feel better already.

Good idea. You'll be better off in the long run. Facebook's a source of drama that I can live without, so no fb for me.