Goodbye Jesus

Sunday Dispatch

ironhorse

OK, sorry I did not realize members were required to respond to their threads.

If those are the rules fine. I invited anyone who wanted to reply with their thoughts

and comments.

but if those are the rules.....I will discuss the dispatch.

I have one questions I need answered:

Are members required to respond any or all questions off topic? 

Sunday Dispatch.1

'Every child is an artist, the problem we have is trying to remain an artist once we grow up."

~Pablo Picasso

Why would you choose a quote from an atheist as your first "Sunday dispatch"?

Yeah, he was baptized and turned atheist later in life.

(The Picasso Book. Tate Publishing. p. 124. ISBN 9781854378439. "Unlike Matisse's chapel, the ruined Vallauris building had long since ceased to fulfil a religious function, so the atheist Picasso no doubt delighted in reinventing its use for the secular Communist cause of 'Peace'.")

And it's really hard to stay on-topic if the topic is a Picasso quote in a thread titled Sunday Dispatch. What are we supposed to discuss?

post-21018-0-62394800-1390816751.png

faceahem,

I chose a quote from Picasso because it speaks a great truth.

I don't reject a quote because the person who said does not hold my beliefs.

There's a ton a great truth that's been said by many people of many belief systems.

About staying on topic when it's a quote by Picasso: "What are we suppose to discuss?"

I know what you mean, what can you say?

To me it's like when you read something, learn something from it, maybe share with

your friends or simply keep it to yourself or reject it and ....move on.

I was sharing it here.

The quote rings true to me. if you have ever given a young child a piece of paper

and a box of crayons and ask the child to draw your picture. The child will happily

scribble out a portrait of you. Now granted it may not be a realistic representation of

you, but it's the child's art work. Who are we to judge?

Give paper and crayons out to a roomful of adults and ask them to draw a portrait

of you. What will be the response?

I have heard people comment on Picasso that his abstracts were easy to paint. I could that they

say. Some seem unaware that Picasso could draw very realistic drawings. I wish they understood

his quote on children.

• Super Moderator

"Weep little lion man; you're not as brave as you were at the start."--Mumford and Sons

I used that quote, Ironhorse, because it speaks a great truth about you.

• Like 1

To me it's like when you read something, learn something from it, maybe share with

your friends or simply keep it to yourself or reject it and ....move on.

I was sharing it here.

Yes, I get sharing. We do it all the time here. It helps to talk with people who might be going through the same stuff. For me this is more like a support group. Would you go to an AA meeting and go on about how great alcohol is? This is how you're being perceived by me anyway.

About staying on topic when it's a quote by Picasso: "What are we suppose to discuss?"

I only made the comment because you asked if you're allowed to disregard questions that aren't "on topic".

I chose a quote from Picasso because it speaks a great truth.

I don't reject a quote because the person who said does not hold my beliefs.

There's a ton a great truth that's been said by many people of many belief systems.

True, but a truth followed by a lie casts doubt on the original truth. I choose not to quote those who at times lie, be it due to ignorance, lack of information, brainwashing or just plain opportunism.

I only made the comment because you asked if you're allowed to disregard questions that aren't "on topic".

And ironhorse has already, in his brief time here, shown a penchant for declaring things he'd rather not discuss to be "off topic."

Ironhorse, FWIW, my personal take is that of course you're not obligated to reply to anyone who's just being sarcastic. But as long as you intend to be here -- and especially given that you announced your arrival by inviting questions from everyone -- you'll answer sincere questions directed at you if you want to establish credibility.

I realize we've already asked so many that it would be hard for you to keep up. Nevertheless, you brought the situation on yourself. You said you'd read other threads in the Lion's Den, so you knew going in how Ex-Cs respond to christian preachers.

I don't think the real point is whether you answer this particular question or that particular question -- but whether you're sincere about participating in discussion.

I did a critique of Picasso in university. This particular view of his was one of the aspects we discussed. He was a child of the age of reason even though he was raised a Spanish Catholic… he embraced communism in reaction to the moral and social decay he saw during WWII. He was contemptuous of a blind and sheep-like society.

The quote is about how we squash the creativity out of children by forcing them to conform to social norms and expectations. It's about personal and creative freedom to think of ALL the possibilities without the goggles of 'groupthink'. It's also about how capitalism and western social constructs kill the child inside.. because to be an ARTIST, one must be able to play.. and see the world with fresh eyes and wonder. It's about throwing off the shackles of the 'shoulds' and the peer pressure to see (and depict) the world in a proscribed way. He was also a huge fan of Goya, who was a rebel, and a courageous one at that.

It is a direct condemnation of the mundane, of allowing the self to become buried under convention and indoctrination. He also said, "It took me 4 years to learn to paint like Raphael, but a lifetime to paint like a child".

It's about authenticity… 

Quite apt here, I would say.

• Like 3

BTW, ironhorse, I composed a serious question yesterday that goes to the heart of your mission: http://www.ex-christian.net/topic/60657-a-question-for-ironhorse/#entry921999

I'd really appreciate an answer to it (preferably in the forum where it was asked, please).

I'd also love to see you answer equally serious questions asked by others. A quick scan says there are around two dozen or so awaiting your response.

Sunday Dispatch.2

Sailing down my golden river

Sun and water all my own

I'll have them where'er I roam

And I was not far from home

Sunlight glancing on the water

Life and death all my own

And I was never alone

Life to raise my sons and daughters

Golden sparkles in the foam

And I was never alone

Sailing down the winding highway

Travelers from near and far

Yet I was never alone

Exploring all the little by-ways

Sighting all the distant stars

Yet I was never far from home

~Pete Seeger

• Like 1

Highway to Hell

Living easy, living free

Season ticket on a one-way ride

Asking nothing, leave me be

Taking everything in my stride

Don't need reason, don't need rhyme

Ain't nothing I would rather do

Going down, party time

My friends are gonna be there too

I'm on the highway to hell

No stop signs, speed limit

Nobody's gonna slow me down

Like a wheel, gonna spin it

Nobody's gonna mess me round

Hey Satan, payed my dues

Playing in a rocking band

Hey Momma, look at me

I'm on my way to the promised land

(Don't stop me)

And I'm going down, all the way down

ac/dc

• Like 3

151-Anyone-here-know-how-to-pray.jpg

• Like 6

Precious - Depeche Mode (Written by Martin Gore, lyrical genius)

Precious and fragile things
Need special handling
My God what have we done to You?

We always try to share
The tenderest of care
Now look what we have put You through...

Things get damaged
Things get broken
I thought we'd manage
But words left unspoken
Left us so brittle
There was so little left to give

Angels with silver wings
Shouldn't know suffering
I wish I could take the pain for You

If God has a master plan
That only He understands
I hope it's Your eyes He's seeing through

Things get damaged
Things get broken
I thought we'd manage
But words left unspoken
Left us so brittle

I pray You learn to trust
Have faith in both of us
And keep room in Your heart for two

Things get damaged
Things get broken
I thought we'd manage
But words left unspoken
Left us so brittle 

• Super Moderator

Man is the religious animal. He is the only religious animal. He is the only animal that has the True Religion –- several of them. He is the only animal that loves his neighbor as himself and cuts his throat, if his theology isn't straight. He has made a graveyard of the globe in trying his honest best to smooth his brother's path to happiness and heaven.

- Mark Twain

Man is the religious animal. He is the only religious animal. He is the only animal that has the True Religion –- several of them. He is the only animal that loves his neighbor as himself and cuts his throat, if his theology isn't straight. He has made a graveyard of the globe in trying his honest best to smooth his brother's path to happiness and heaven.

- Mark Twain

Didn't take your for a Sunday Dispatch whore. Consider turning in your Viking hat.

• Super Moderator
Consider turning in your Viking hat.

NEVER!

• Super Moderator

THEN Sir Beaumains put on his helm anon, and buckled his shield, and took his horse, and rode after him all that ever he might ride through marshes, and fields, and great dales, that many times his horse and he plunged over the head in deep mires, for he knew not the way, but took the gainest way in that woodness, that many times he was like to perish. And at the last him happened to come to a fair green way, and there he met with a poor man of the country, whom he saluted and asked him whether he met not with a knight upon a black horse and all black harness, a little dwarf sitting behind him with heavy cheer. Sir, said the poor man, here by me came Sir Gringamore the knight, with such a dwarf mourning as ye say; and therefore I rede you not follow him, for he is one of the periloust knights of the world, and his castle is here nigh hand but two mile; therefore we advise you ride not after Sir Gringamore, but if ye owe him good will.

Le Morte d'Arthur Book 7 Chapter 20

Sir Thomas Malory

This might be a self-proclaimed post-and-run.

Here is a man who rides a speed boat called Mission.  He enjoys the huge waves it makes behind it as he looks forward, wind in his hair.  He stands tall, an example of diligence, eternal righteousness, infallibility.  He can post anything he wants to, anywhere he wants to, he is justified, he can do no wrong.

• Like 1

Blasting, bursting, billowing forth with the power of ten billion butterfly sneezes.

The Moody Blues

“Enlightenment is man’s leaving his self-caused immaturity. Immaturity is the incapacity to use one's intelligence without the guidance of another. Such immaturity is self-caused if it is not caused by lack of intelligence, but by lack of determination and courage to use one's intelligence without being guided by another. Sapere Aude! Have the courage to use your own intelligence! is therefore the motto of the enlightenment...”

By Immanuel Kant

yellow.gif yellow.gif yellow.gif yellow.gif yellow.gif

• Super Moderator

He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot.

- Groucho Marx

• Super Moderator

“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.” 
― Douglas Adams

• Super Moderator

“Isn’t this enough? Just this world? Just this beautiful, complex wonderfully unfathomable world? How does it so fail to hold our attention that we have to diminish it with the invention of cheap, man-made myths and monsters?” 
― Tim Minchin

"Don't believe every quote on the internet."--Abraham Lincoln

• Like 4

"If it happens, God lets it happen, and when we say, ‘I don’t understand,’ God replies, ‘I don’t care.’ ”-Stephen King-

• Like 3

"As empty vessels make the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest blabbers"  William Baldwin