Goodbye Jesus

Sunday Dispatch

ironhorse

Jewish people don't consider Jesus as the son of god.

If you're claiming that they do then you are clearly retarded.

So you are claiming all Jewish people don't consider Jesus as the Son of God?

I'm asking you this specifically because you are judging what individual people believe as a group.

You are both right in that Jews (noun = religious order) do NOT believe jesus was the son of any gods.

Some Jews (noun = cultural identity) are in fact christians. 

Don't confuse the two.

The Jewish people that calls themselves Jews around my part of the world are not Christians.

If they are "saved" then they become Christians. My apologies to any Jewish Christians then.

My point still stands that the Jewish Jews and the Palestinian Palestinians are according to the bible in my wifes drawer going to hell.

If you manage to convince yourself that this not the case, then I wish you well. (IH Not Roz. I can't agree with Roz more)

I have to go to work now. God / Allah damnit. My head actually hurts.

The Jewish people that calls themselves Jews around my part of the world are not Christians.

If they are "saved" then they become Christians. My apologies to any Jewish Christians then.

My point still stands that the Jewish Jews and the Palestinian Palestinians are according to the bible in my wifes drawer going to hell.

If you manage to convince yourself that this not the case, then I wish you well. (IH Not Roz. I can't agree with Roz more)

Hope your headache goes away heh, Mondays suck but think about the beer after work.  woohoo.gif

Hope your headache goes away heh, Mondays suck but think about the beer after work.  woohoo.gif

Roz, why do we do this? Why are we arguing with a child? It's like arguing with my three year old. What is the point? Logic does not apply to him.

So, Jewish Christians and Palestinian Christians aside, everyone else is going to hell right? 

and now it's 05.35 and I'm late and beer is not going to be strong enough tonight.

I guess I had to receive this kind of treatment from the folks who I was trying to talk into christianity with.  Trust me it was heated and things flew back and forth with pointed from-the-heart honesty. 

After all the time I spent as an evangelist, I guess I consider this as both my apology to all the people I've tried to get into christianity (adventist flavor) and as an exercise to myself to keep remembering all the errors of the religion.

Ok. At work and I googled this shit. 2.1 Percent of the Israeli population are Christian.

That's 161,000 people. According to Christianity, only they will be going to heaven. That means the other 8,132,391.84 people are going to be tortured forever.

John 14:6 "I am the way, and the truth and the life; no one comes to the father but through me"

And don't start the context argument. This is what I was taught in church in my fundie days.

• Super Moderator

Ironhorse, 3 of the world's major religions consider Jerusalem to be a holy city and Israel to be a holy land.  Yet Jerusalem is one of the most violent cities in the world and Israel is one of the most violent countries in the world.

Does this strike you as mere coincidence?

• Like 2

They've been fighting in that region for about 5000 years…. and?

I quite agree.

Your statement got me thinking, why this region?  Is it because it is part of the "fertile crescent", a critical place in the development of human societies?  and/or is it because it's on/near important trading routes? and/or other options?  I have no idea, which is why I'm asking. 

I quite agree.

Your statement got me thinking, why this region?  Is it because it is part of the "fertile crescent", a critical place in the development of human societies?  and/or is it because it's on/near important trading routes? and/or other options?  I have no idea, which is why I'm asking. 

The Jews are known as "God's Chosen People" who brought the scriptures

to the world declaring only one true universal God. They are a people of the Word.

From them came the Messiah (Christ).

So many in the world hate them because of this. If you can stamp out the Jews and

Israel, you can stamp out God.

I quite agree.

to the world declaring only one true universal God. They are a people of the Word.

So many in the world hate them because of this. If you can stamp out the Jews and

The Jews believe that they are God's chosen people. They believe that they have the one true religion.

Christians also believe that they have the one true religion. Incidentally, for centuries the Christian church held, as official doctrine, that the Jewish people as a whole were guilty of the sin of deicide. It is only recently that Christians have decided that the Jews are alright after all.

The Muslims, too, believe that they have the one true religion.

All three groups value the holy land, because they believe that it has divine significance. All three have (at various times throughout history) been involved in needless wars over who has the best claim to this land. Not one of these wars has been fought with the intention of "stamping out God". They are fighting because both sides believe that they have God on their side. Of course, there are also other factors, but It seems to me (not being, by any stretch of the imagination, an expert) that this is the true root of the problem.

• Like 4

I quite agree.

The Jews believe that they are God's chosen people. They believe that they have the one true religion.

Christians also believe that they have the one true religion. Incidentally, for centuries the Christian church held, as official doctrine, that the Jewish people as a whole were guilty of the sin of deicide. It is only recently that Christians have decided that the Jews are alright after all.

The Muslims, too, believe that they have the one true religion.

All three groups value the holy land, because they believe that it has divine significance. All three have (at various times throughout history) been involved in needless wars over who has the best claim to this land. Not one of these wars has been fought with the intention of "stamping out God". They are fighting because both sides believe that they have God on their side. Of course, there are also other factors, but It seems to me (not being, by any stretch of the imagination, an expert) that this is the true root of the problem.

I agree with all that, but I should have perhaps clarified my question a bit.  I was meaning why was there conflict before Judaism. (I'm not aware of exactly when Judaism began... was it 5,000 years ago or 3,000 years ago for example?).  

I quite agree.

The Jews happened to be the people group that invented the "god" you are referring to.

Modern day Israel is murdering innocent children, including those who are attempting to find refuge in UN facilities that they have been told are UN facilities more than 30 times.  Your support for these murders is reprehensible.

I quite agree.

The Jews happened to be the people group that invented the "god" you are referring to.

Modern day Israel is murdering innocent children, including those who are attempting to find refuge in UN facilities that they have been told are UN facilities more than 30 times.  Your support for these murders is reprehensible.

Your first comment: I know I can't prove God exists and you think I'm an idiot for believing in a God I cannot prove.

Your other comment: Do you deny that Hamas are launching their rockets from buildings occupied

by civilians (including children) and the people are not allowed to leave? Do you deny that Israel

has dropped leaflets and sent phone messages to warn Palestinians of incoming attacks? Do you

deny that Hamas is using these deaths as a propaganda tool?

What would you have Israel do? Close the Iron Dome and lay down their arms?

If all of them would give up on ancient religious bullshit there'd be no reason for war.

• Like 3

Heyyyyy There is christians in here :)

I quite agree.

Your first comment: I know I can't prove God exists and you think I'm an idiot for believing in a God I cannot prove.

Your other comment: Do you deny that Hamas are launching their rockets from buildings occupied

by civilians (including children) and the people are not allowed to leave? Do you deny that Israel

has dropped leaflets and sent phone messages to warn Palestinians of incoming attacks? Do you

Turn the other cheek? haha

Just something for IH:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/04/israel-declares-truce-fighting-in-rafah

The Palestinian death toll surpassed 1,800, 80% of whom are civilians according to UN estimates. About 460,000 people in Gaza have been displaced since the start of the conflict. Three civilians in Israel have been killed.

Nearly half a million people displaced from their homes and nearly 2000 dead... vs. 3 people...  There's a clear disparity in each side's use of force.

• Like 1

I quite agree.

I referred to "god" as invented not to treat you like an idiot but to step outside the religious content of your claims about the Jews being "god's chosen people".  To someone with god goggles on, all kinds of justifications for Israel's military action can be made.  To someone without god goggles on, it just looks like religious justifications.  Clearly what is needed in this region is respect for international law, not more violence upon violence.  How you can overlook the intentional and knowing bombing of UN-run humanitarian facilities is beyond me.  I guess anything becomes possible when you wear god goggles.  That's why I oppose religion, not because people with faith are "idiots", but because they justify murder in the name of their beliefs.

• Like 2

Just something for IH:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/04/israel-declares-truce-fighting-in-rafah

The Palestinian death toll surpassed 1,800, 80% of whom are civilians according to UN estimates. About 460,000 people in Gaza have been displaced since the start of the conflict. Three civilians in Israel have been killed.

Nearly half a million people displaced from their homes and nearly 2000 dead... vs. 3 people...  There's a clear disparity in each side's use of force.

So war is like a video game where, to be fair, each side must rack up equal casualties?

Hamas actually uses the carnage to gain the media's sympathy and win the propaganda war. It's been reported that they have even used pictures of dead children in Syria and past pictures from Iraq to display. They deliberately base their operations in or near civilian buildings and the people are not allowed to flee or seek shelter. Israel has even sent warnings by dropping leaflets and by phone.

There is only less carnage on Israel's side because they care enough about the lives of their citizens to actually defend them. 

The reality and facts do not support moral equivalency.

"So war is like a video game where, to be fair, each side must rack up equal casualties?"  Ironhorse

Seriously, Ironhorse. you cannot be that stupid.

"So war is like a video game where, to be fair, each side must rack up equal casualties?"  Ironhorse

Seriously, Ironhorse. you cannot be that stupid.

You underestimate him.

• Like 5

Sunday Dispatch.675

The query: "At Auschwitz, tell me, where was God?"

And the answer: "Where was man?”

~William Styron, Sophie’s Choice

Sunday Dispatch.675

The query: "At Auschwitz, tell me, where was God?"

And the answer: "Where was man?”

~William Styron, Sophie’s Choice

I agree with Styron: God, being imaginary, had nothing at all to do with Auschwitz or any other event in human history.

• Like 3