Goodbye Jesus

Sunday Dispatch

ironhorse

• Super Moderator

Why is this thread being allowed to continue?  It is completely pointless and irrelevant, so far as I can tell, and serves no other purpose than to take up bandwidth.  Can somebody explain to me the purpose of this thread?

Why is this thread being allowed to continue?  It is completely pointless and irrelevant, so far as I can tell, and serves no other purpose than to take up bandwidth.  Can somebody explain to me the purpose of this thread?

Its purpose is to bring us back to Jeeezuss though the powerful preachings and undeniable, world-shattering truths of Winnie the Pooh, C.S. Lewis, and random singers and songwriters.

IMHO, it's pretty randomly entertaining, too.

• Super Moderator

Its purpose is to bring us back to Jeeezuss though the powerful preachings and undeniable, world-shattering truths of Winnie the Pooh, C.S. Lewis, and random singers and songwriters.

Plus it gives us good opportunities to post "real" wisdom after each of his comedic witticisms.   GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

• Super Moderator

Plus it gives us good opportunities to post "real" wisdom after each of his comedic witticisms.   GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

Well, alright.  I suppose it does serve for something.

"For god so loved the world that he sent his only begotten Pooh....."

More like "God poohed on the world."

Actually I couldn't agree more with the Prof.  Even if you agree completely with orthodox evangelical doctrine, before Jesus mankind was judged by their level of trust in some unknown savior figure (known to Jews as "the messiah") to save you from your sins apart from your own works.  Along comes Jesus, and all of a sudden you have to leave your mother and father, brothers, sisters, lands, etc. to follow him, or you will die in your sins.  From where I sit, the only function Jesus serves is to send you to eternal conscious torment in hell.

So yes, on that first Christmas Day, the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ effectively took a dump on humanity by sending his son us.  Jesus Christ is a worthless pile of shit and ought to be discarded in the same way as every other piece of excrement that comes from men's anuses.

When Carl Jung was young and pious, he actually was tormented by an obsession over imagining God pooing upon a church building. He wouldn't dare let his imagination bring the mental movie to, shall we say, climax? One day he just couldn't take the pressure anymore and ran the whole scenario through his imagination. Afterwards he was overwhelmed with a sense of forgiveness, that he could be forgiven even this.

I don't know what the dude eventually decided about Christianity - sort of became a Joseph Campbell avant la lettre, I think.

Have a nice day!!

• Like 1

070-Religions-require-darkness-to-shine.

034-Digging-through-shit.jpg

• Like 2

Sunday Dispatch.6

Hey, King! Where’s your crown, where’s your Cadillac?

I’ve never seen a king before – on a donkey’s back.

~Paul Grant & Marian Palmer

Bravo! Masterful cut and pasting.

• Like 2

Made me think of you, Horsie.

post-3274-0-34513900-1393801706_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I actually went to church willingly yesterday.  I was awake, and my husband was going so I decided to go along.  It was a good confirmation for me that I've done what I can to save my faith, and it just wasn't worth saving.  I wonder how many others at my church were there because they had to be?  We need some sort of secret hand shake or greeting phrase!  

Just hoping that Sunday morning church will soon be a thing of the past!  I like sleeping in.

We need some sort of secret hand shake or greeting phrase!  

We already do.  It is looking around during prayer.  I love seeing just who else looks around.  

• Like 2

exactly. I enjoy quotes. I struggle to sometimes find the right words to convey what I'm feeling or thinking and quotes, especially those from people long dead, usually says it better than I could ever.

He that will not reason is a bigot; he that cannot reason is a fool; he that dares not reason is a slave - William Drummond 

And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Bertrand Russell 

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." -  Aldous Huxley 

I do not think it is necessary to believe that the same God who has given us our senses, reason, and intelligence wished us to abandon their use, giving us by some other means the information that we could gain through them - Galileo Galilei 

“If you think God’s there, He is. If you don’t, He isn’t. And if that’s what God’s like, I wouldn’t worry about it.” - Haruki Marakami

Oh - and one of my favourite comebacks when a fundie asks me if I believe in love because love can't be proven:

“I do understand what love is, and that is one of the reasons I can never again be a Christian. Love is not self denial. Love is not blood and suffering. Love is not murdering your son to appease your own vanity. Love is not hatred or wrath, consigning billions of people to eternal torture because they have offended your ego or disobeyed your rules. Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being.”  - ex Pastor Dan Barker
  • Like 2

I really like ice cream. It's good on its own, but it's also really good to combine complimentary flavors and then top it all with hot fudge and chopped almonds.

This isn't deeply symbolic of anything. I just thought, since we are sharing wisdom and experience, I'd share some of mine, too. 

I really like ice cream. It's good on its own, but it's also really good to combine complimentary flavors and then top it all with hot fudge and chopped almonds.

This isn't deeply symbolic of anything. I just thought, since we are sharing wisdom and experience, I'd share some of mine, too.

It could be very symbolic of how you were raised, symbolic of your biochemistry, etc. duh

• Super Moderator

It could be very symbolic of how you were raised, symbolic of your biochemistry, etc. duh

Or, it could just be a bowl of ice cream.

• Like 1

Hey, where's ironhorse this fine Sunday morning? How can we get by without our fortifying dose of storybook wisdom?

pooh-quotes-3.jpg?w=500&h=357

pooh-new-4.jpg?w=499&h=286

pooh-quotes-6.jpg?w=500&h=333

There. I did ironhorse's job for him. Anybody feel a blood-sugar OD coming on?

057-The-bible-is-like-a-software-license

Sunday Dispatch.7

"Oh, the Bible! To be sure, it says a great many things; but, then, nobody ever thinks of doing them."

~ Harriet Beecher Stowe, Uncle Toms Cabin

105-Gods-ways-650x542.jpg

104-Threesomes-cool.jpg

• Like 3

I have a Dispatch idea! 

How about the mods dispatch this guy entirely? 

People follow the bible daily.....homocide, genocide, rape, slavery........

• Like 5

Or you could be reading your own subjective interpretations of my personal experience and ignoring my own authority about my identity, likes, and dislikes. That probably makes you feel smart and important, though, right? 

• Like 2

Though I think this is a fake quote I thought it was funny and suits the day even though over here we have to wait another three weeks to change to summer time.

"The reason we extended daylight savings time under my administration was for the good of the country, the good of the people. You see, with an extra hour of sunshine this time of year the snow will melt that much faster. And that's good for the country, good for the people."

~ George W. Bush

Wish you all a great week yellow.gif

Sunday Dispatch.7

"Oh, the Bible! To be sure, it says a great many things; but, then, nobody ever thinks of doing them."

Great things like what?

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Sunday Dispatch.7

Great things like what?

Rape, genocide, incest, murder, betrayal, stupid laws, vengefulness, and petty tyranny, just to name a few.  I think the quote might be a bit inaccurate; people do these things all the time.

"The reason we extended daylight savings time under my administration was for the good of the country, the good of the people. You see, with an extra hour of sunshine this time of year the snow will melt that much faster. And that's good for the country, good for the people."

~ George W. Bush

You know, it would not surprise me if W actually did say something like that.   bill