Goodbye Jesus

Fundy Co-worker

Amethyst

I share a cubical with a born-again fundy type. So we were talking today, and somehow got on the topic of global warming. Even after I showed him where the most recent evidence was, he STILL cannot believe that it exists, even though they found a "smoking gun". And yet, he believes in the Bible, and there is absolutely ZERO evidence that it is real! Regardless of whether you think global warming exists, at least you can record temperatures and prove it one way or the other.

Argh...I just can't wrap my brain around people like that.

Oh, and he is going to start taking classes at a local seminary because he wants to go into family counseling. This is a guy who likes to debate with *everybody*, even at work where it is inappropriate. If he can't listen instead of arguing, how does he think he is going to counsel people, especially people of faiths other than him?

I just hope he doesn't start preaching to me. He is under the impression that I am a liberal Christian.

Oh, and he is going to start taking classes at a local seminary because he wants to go into family counseling.  This is a guy who likes to debate with *everybody*, even at work where it is inappropriate.  If he can't listen instead of arguing, how does he think he is going to counsel people, especially people of faiths other than him?

I just hope he doesn't start preaching to me.  He is under the impression that I am a liberal Christian.

Well, look on the positive side! Maybe he's realized he argues too much and he's using the classes to try to get that under control.

...or maybe he's just gonna try to use the counseling to bring everyone to Jesus. In which case, I suggest carving Necromonicon runes on his desk. :D

Maybe he's realized he argues too much and he's using the classes to try to get that under control.

I have suggested joining a debate club to him. Oh, and did I mention, this guy is pro-guns and admitted to having more than one? (A bit of a scary thought there, fundies owning guns.) Maybe he'll do something really stupid one day and leave one in his truck, and a security guard will find it. I suppose that's a bit too much to hope for.

In which case, I suggest carving Necromonicon runes on his desk.

LOL! Actually, I do suspect one of my co-workers is Wiccan, but somewhat in the closet. She's very liberal and has a sign on her cube saying "The Witch is in," but doesn't wear pentagrams or anything like that.

I think she'd let him have an earful if he tried preaching to her, though. She seems very assertive.

Hi!

LOL, that stuff AMAZES me too.....you show someone PROOF of something and they STILL insist it is not real, but yet, they turn around and believe in something that has absolutely no proof, nothing you can see, etc. :lmao:

Heh. Well, my fundy coworker is now on a self-imposed mission to find out how many fat grams there are in the crappy instant cappucino they have in the machine. He actually called Aramark from work, on work time, and said he was calling from work. And then he went and ate three doughnuts yesterday. He's lucky he's skinny. If I did that, I'd gain like 25 pounds. If he spent as much time as he spent trying to get that info at a homeless shelter volunteering, a lot more people would have gotten fed yesterday.

He also surfs the net most of the day instead of working, and he goes to religious web sites. I'm afraid I'll be guilty by association one of these days.

I'm just really getting tired of this guy. I only hope that his night classes will be too much for him, and he'll quit to take classes full-time. Either that, or they'll fire him for surfing the net on company time too much.

He also surfs the net most of the day instead of working, and he goes to religious web sites.  I'm afraid I'll be guilty by association one of these days.

Where I work, internet usage is tracked by who accesses what site from whose computer. So if FundyBoy were to read I Suck Jeezus's Dick sites all day long, someone would know for sure if he's being an unproductive littls fundy.

I can't think of anyone getting fired for surfing the net too much where I work, but if the systems administrator notices that a particular web site is getting a bit too much attention, or if one particular person is spending all day long on the web, he'll start blocking sites and such.

Good point. I work at a very large manufacturing company that is a household name (at least, in Minnesota). I support engineers in the Aerospace & Defense dept. You have to be a US citizen to work in that particular department because so much of what it does is sold to the military. I'd be really amazed if they didn't track internet usage. I just hope it's by IP addy.

Heh...I surf this site well at work sometimes. *giggles*

Heh...I surf this site well at work sometimes.  *giggles*

That reminds me of a story....

I have accessed this site from work a handful of times. A few months after I started working where I work, the systems administrator gave me the password to our firewall so I could access all of the websites blocked to regular users.

His email went something like this:

"Here's the firewall password. You can visit blocked sites, but it's still tracked on my system. So don't go visiting those anarchy sites ;) "

:HaHa: whooooooops! :HaHa:

Heh...I surf this site well at work sometimes. *giggles*

I might if I was alone and nobody ever walked past my cube, but I would probably offend him and get in trouble, ironically.

I'm surfing this site from work right now.

Of course, they told me to sleep if I got bored... as long as I answer the phone and get the door. So, it isn't like they care.

I deal with Christian coworkers for about 10 minutes... before I leave or they do. Working alone at night has benefits.

Even after I showed him where the most recent evidence was, he STILL cannot believe that it exists, even though they found a "smoking gun".

I just hope he doesn't start preaching to me.  He is under the impression that I am a liberal Christian.

Global warming should have nothing to do with a Christians beliefs, although some divisions have "wacky" "nonbiblical" teachings. Scary enough.

Amethyst, why do you claim to be a liberal Christian to this person?

If he is going to seminary to help people from a Christian perspective, then most likely he sees you as a Christian candidate for his feild, so to speak. I have talked with alot of people in regards to there Christian faith, mindset, and others with different beliefs. He seems to have a "passion" about the avenues that interest him.

Whether you are a Biblical cruisader, or a person that has different beliefs, he will continue to speak his "mind" about matters. I would suggest from a Christian POV that the next conversation that occurs you tell him that you are not a Christian and that you would rather not discuss it. Take futher action if he continues.

Amethyst, why do you claim to be a liberal Christian to this person?

Because I am still somewhat in the closet. I don't want my co-workers to hate me, judge me, or preach to me. I have a right to remain in the closet. I have been honest with my parents and close friends, but I shouldn't have to tell everyone at work and risk losing my job on the basis of discrimination. Religion doesn't really belong in the workplace, IMHO. It should be a very private thing. Why should I have to go tell everyone why my beliefs are? Why should I have to take them telling ME what their beliefs are and hitting me over the head with it on a daily basis?