Goodbye Jesus

Scientists Scanned A Woman's Brain During An Out-Of-Body Experience

Vigile

Scientists Scanned A Woman's Brain During An Out-Of-Body Experience

What's happening? 

Even if there is no soul stuck in our bodies, this woman isn't making this up. There's obviously something happening in her brain that is making her experience the world in a different way — but researchers can't yet say exactly what it is. Plus, this study was about one woman's out-of-body experience, not all out-of-body experiences. 

Still, the changes they observed could be similar to how the brain can be trained using meditation. The researchers even suggested that this could be something many kids can do, but that with practice could be carried into adulthood. 

Interestingly, the researchers suggested that this kind of experience may be much more common than we thought. The woman in question actually "appeared surprised that not everyone could experience this," the researchers wrote.

The takeaway from this should be that OBE's happen in the brain, therefore are not out-of-body.  It is an illusion/halucination that they are outside their own bodies. 

• Like 2

The takeaway from this should be that OBE's happen in the brain, therefore are not out-of-body.  It is an illusion/halucination that they are outside their own bodies. 

Precisely. 

Guest ninurta

I've had dealt with something similar as a reaction to a medication I had to take. It was indeed strange. The only thing close to it since has been when I was sleep deprived, but its because I'd get panic attacks and wake up, but not be able to move.

What do you guys think of this idea about 'Remote viewing'? I've dabbled a bit reading the information and it seems that many people can develop this 'gift' also.......

What do you guys think of this idea about 'Remote viewing'? I've dabbled a bit reading the information and it seems that many people can develop this 'gift' also.......

It needs verifiable and repeatable results before I would consider it.  If some rich guy wants to sink money into the trials that is his business.

Precisely. 

I think what we can take away from this is that some people here are confirming their own bias of disbelief in souls with a 'study' that involved ONE test subject. Is this how science works? We study one person and then publish our finding about how the human body works? HAHA.

It needs verifiable and repeatable results before I would consider it.  If some rich guy wants to sink money into the trials that is his business.

As does the study in the original post need verifiable and 'repeatable' results before I  would consider it.

As does the study in the original post need verifiable and 'repeatable' results before I  would consider it.

What part about the original study strikes you as extraordinary or hard to believe?

What part about the original study strikes you as extraordinary or hard to believe?

It's just lacking in experimental research. What happens if test subject 2 has a completely different brain scan result? And so does test subject 3? And 4?

What happens if test subject 2 has a completely different brain scan result? And so does test subject 3? And 4?

Then we would learn something.

Precisely. 

I think what we can take away from this is that some people here are confirming their own bias of disbelief in souls with a 'study' that involved ONE test subject. Is this how science works? We study one person and then publish our finding about how the human body works? HAHA.

Cherry picking is when you choose statistical opinions and otherwise skewed stats.  It seems to me that observable and measurable brain activity of even a single test subject holds much more weight than the simple opinion of a single survey respondent.  Of course the experiment needs to be repeatable.  That's a given. 

What happens if test subject 2 has a completely different brain scan result? And so does test subject 3? And 4?

Then we would learn something.

I agree.

Oh, I'm sure there's a good reason the brain is active during this time.  Like it's not actually generating the experience but instead those areas are acting like a homing beacon or landing lights for the soul while it's out of the body.  So the soul can fly around like an airplane then come in for a safe landing.  But if the soul takes too long of a joy ride the lights go out and it can't find it's way home and the person dies and the soul flies off to wherever (looking to land wherever it finds the next set of bright lights).

Ah, the supernatural.  It's truly super...yet natural somehow.

mwc

• Like 1

Precisely. 

So if biologist were given the opertunity to disect ONE extraterrestrial lifeform, we would gain no scientific knowledge whatsoever?

When I was in my "bounce back" years (the years after I left Christianity) I studied every esoteric thing I could get my hands on because I felt like the entire world had been hidden from me until then.

I ended up buying a couple books about Astral Projection and getting fairly into it.  I was too much of a pussy to go all the way, though: some of the experiences these people have is literally out of this world—talking to angels and other beings, being able to walk through brick walls, interacting with malevolent spirits, etc.  I felt that if I went too far with it, my life would become too "strange" for me to handle.  I'm perfectly fine not interacting with angels and malevolent beings.  I was mostly just really bored and esoteric stuff interested me.

The furthest I got was having a successful "OBE" while lying on my bed in which I literally got up out of my body (using my "etheric body", as it's referred to, as my vessel), sat on the edge of the bed, stood up, and walked to the door of my room.  I turned around and looked behind me, and, voilaa there was my body lying on the bed.  When I opened the door of my room, my body "sucked" me back into it and I sat up in bed.

Keep in mind that this experience was not easy to accomplish.  It took tons of energy, awareness and concentration.  Once I got busy with life, I didn't have the energy to pursue it anymore.

True story...

P.S. I also personally believe that Astral Projection and OBE's really just happen in the mind.