Goodbye Jesus

Secret Doubters

odintim

I've fingered through dozens of posts here, old & new, taking notice of the Christians that come to lurk around and occasionally make or respond to posts.

After pondering the question behind the reason of their presence, I've come to a few conclusions. Past experience in my own life tells a percentage are simply "cashing in" on an opportunity to win souls for Christ; this much is obvious. Others come to make an attempt to strengthen their skills in how to deal with the non-believer or infidel - us. :) I have no way of knowing of course, albeit I suspect most of them are of an age no older than 25 - this I can usually tell from how a person writes; excluding the uneducated older ones, of course.

It seems, again without evidence, that they all may have one thin in common: DOUBT. I suspect they all come here carrying an amount of doubt in their mind, searching for a way to fight. They'd no admit it, of course, as I did the same at first. Christians "strong" in their faith and belief have no need to lurk around such places as this.

I cannot speak for anyone here, however I'd like to extend an invitation to all those of the Christian faith. I myself have no belief chaining me in judgement towards others, or prejudices towards gentiles, infidels, or non-believers. I am not bound by a book telling me not to associate or make acquaintances with those who don't share the same morals & thoughts as I. I'm not going to ridicule you for having a belief that may seem as ludicrous to me as atheism seems to you. I might ask questions to provoke your mind into thought, however, I should hope you don't consider thought as being an evil act in this case. Keep in mind, I used to be in many of your shoes, I know how your mind thinks and wanders.

If the god you believe in exists, it cannot be a sin to use the mind you were given. Doubting is not a sin, neither is thinking. Look up thinking in the dictionary - one description you'll find is "using one's rational judgement".

Otherwise, chances of you converting these members back to Christs are slim to none. They've been there, and based on what they've dealt with from both sides of the tracks, they've decided to screw the tracks and take a flight out. Those who "yo-yo" back and forth have other emotional or psychological issues most likely, not feelings of conviction. i.e. our apparent resident yo-yo: Jeffery.

There are also many of us here that likely know the bible and Christian walk considerably better than you, due to age and experience, perhaps even a few with apologetic b.a.'s or doctorates. Trying to convert would be similar to pouring water on ice.

So stop, take a moment, review your life and your intent, then let your mind think without opening a bible or referring to what Jesus would say before you witness or attack. You'd only be yelling into a vacuum.

OT

Odintim~

People already know why I'm here and it's old news. But I didn't want you to think I was ignoring this and I'm hoping that in bumping it back up, you will get your responses.

Good luck!

Sofi

Odintim~

People already know why I'm here and it's old news. But I didn't want you to think I was ignoring this and I'm hoping that in bumping it back up, you will get your responses.

Good luck!

Sofi

I certainly don't know why you are here. It's not old new so t me.

Why?

I certainly don't know why you are here. It's not old new so t me.

Why?

I came here to see what makes someone want to become an Ex-Christian and to better understand their point of view.

It's that simple.

Why I've stayed may be the bigger question. I have no idea. :shrug:

Nah, I know why you stayed. Admit it, you like us! :grin:

I'm sorry....I thought that was obvious!! :grin:

Big Oops!

I was thinking about the reasons to stay as a Christian. None. Other than going on spiritual rollercoaster rides daily. ;)

If the god you believe in exists, it cannot be a sin to use the mind you were given. Doubting is not a sin, neither is thinking.

According to the bible it is a sin

According to the bible it is a sin

Hi, pritishd.

I've googled high and low and cannot find scripture to back that up. Can you help me locate it when you have a chance?

Thanks.

Why I've stayed may be the bigger question. I have no idea. :shrug:

Because we're quality people?

maybe Rom 14:23 - "...whatever is not from faith is sin" (NASB)

Thanks, Dio. That is actually referring to condemning one another over what we eat or drink and bringing guilt or doubt upon ourself when we need not do so.

I'll keep looking. Thanks.

Thanks, Dio. That is actually referring to condemning one another over what we eat or drink and bringing guilt or doubt upon ourself when we need not do so.

I'll keep looking. Thanks.

Christian doctrine accepted by most evangelicals clearly states that you must believe on the lord jesus christ to be saved. Doubting on the lord won't get you through the pearly gates.

I think so too. Doubting oneself would be considered the sin because doing what one believes to be wrong is going against (sinning) themselves and others.

Ok, fair enough.

I just thought that 'whatever' meant whatever.

Whatever.

I didn't mean anything bad toward ya dio! I was just...umm...well...erm...oh, whatever!

:grin:

Sofia ~

I wasn't too worried about anyone ignoring my post, as it was simply meant to provoke thought, however answers are nice. Thanks for your notice. ;)

Oh, BTW, to whomever's reading this, I misquoted myself in the first post. I didn't mean to type " . . . pouring water onto ice" intead I intended " . . . pouring oil onto ice."

OT

Whatever...

:HaHa:

Well, I must admit that there are probably some verses dealing with doubting but I'm sure not finding them. Thomas doubted. :shrug:

Sofia ~

I wasn't too worried about anyone ignoring my post, as it was simply meant to provoke thought, however answers are nice. Thanks for your notice. ;)

Oh, BTW, to whomever's reading this, I misquoted myself in the first post. I didn't mean to type " . . . pouring water onto ice" intead I intended " . . . pouring oil onto ice."

OT

Don't you hate it when you see your mistakes? Especially, when you see them in a quote!