Goodbye Jesus

Why Did I Leave The Christian Church?

Guest Hermann

Guest Hermann

Why did I leave the Christian church?

In Germany the money for the main Christian churches is collected by the Government, which is around 9% of the income tax. Leaving the church needs there a formal action, which I did on December 30th in 1974.

I did this step because I had many doubts in Christianity and could not get answers e.g. to following questions:

Why is the Christian god not fair by forgiving only people who believe in Christ? Why need sins to be compensated in order to become forgiven (which is the only reason for the death of Christ)? Why is it necessary to balance good and evil? How is it possible to balance good and evil, when both are just relative terms (there is nothing, which is good or evil under all circumstances)?

When I left the church I did not go as far as to become a materialist/atheist, but I felt the duty to define, what I do really believe. This was the starting point for developing my individual rational philosophy of life independent from any religion. The method and the result are now described on my website.

Hermann,

Welcome to ExChriatian dot net.

Perused your site, not sure I'll ever have the brain power to fully grok your thoughts, but they are well worth reading.

Quite a few fellow travellers here, folks who have left the religious insanity and stepped onto the rational route..

kevinL

Hermann

Welcome here.

I have had a look at your site, and I think you have some interesting thoughts.

Does the "Weltanschauung" have a different meaning than the english word "Worldview"?

Hermann

Welcome here.

I have had a look at your site, and I think you have some interesting thoughts.

Does the "Weltanschauung" have a different meaning than the english word "Worldview"?

Willkommen, mein Freund.

woher kommen Sie aus Deutschland?

Guest Hermann

Thanks for the kind replies. The direct translation of “weltanschauung” is “worldview”, but its meaning is much closer to “philosophy of life”. I have lived in Dortmund, Germany, but since more than two years I live together with my wife in Perth, Western Australia – an ideal place for retirement!

I read the site, and I do like what I see. As an amateur work of philosophy, what I saw from the site indicates that the book is a good deal better than most.

Personally, I find the distinction between "spiritual/mental" and "physical" to be a bit questionable--which, for example, is a law of physics or a math equation? But that question deserves a very, very long answer, and I don't know that an internet forum would be the best place to investigate it.

Anyway, it's nice to see you here. I hope you stick around!