Goodbye Jesus

Wonderful Post On Prayer And No Prayer

Tyson

Want to thank my heathen friend, Heretic, for this one.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Imagine you want a banana. If you pray for it the possible outcomes are:

1. You get a banana fairly soon

2. You get a banana some time in the distant future.

3. You get no banana

Imagine you don't pray for a banana. The possible outcomes are:

3. You get no banana

Why bother?

Want to thank my heathen friend, Heretic, for this one.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Imagine you want a banana. If you pray for it the possible outcomes are:

3. You get no banana

Imagine you don't pray for a banana. The possible outcomes are:

3. You get no banana

Why bother?

Lmao - that's brilliant. And so very true. I used to pray everyday, sometimes more than once, when I was Xian. Today, I don't pray at all - and my life hasn't changed one bit. Hell, now I have more time on my hands. Why bother, indeed?

Petitionary prayer is pointless. Even as a Christian, I thought that. I just figured that an omnipotent deity would have a better idea of what's good to happen than I do, so let him take care of that, and just pray "Your will be done."

Prayer that is only petitionary is silly indeed. It annoys me that so many Christians only pray for things when that's clearly inconsistent with their ideas about God.

Guest Enforcer

My wife and I recently had a new edition in our family. Our Daughter Taryn was born on the 2nd of January. The day after the birth, the preacher of the Southern Baptist church from down the street came in and congratulated us and asked us to join him in prayer. We politely told him we were not xian and I thanked him for his congrats but we did not want to pray. He continued to try. "It's just a little prayer," he said. I maintained my civility, but I had to tell him that we appreciated his looking in on us, but we were not going to waste our time praying to a magic man in the sky and he has no chance of saving our souls. Do you think I offended him?

Tyson, that's exactly what I realized when I deconverted, but I could never fully explain it as brilliant as that one. I shall remember it.

My wife and I recently had a new edition in our family. Our Daughter Taryn was born on the 2nd of January. The day after the birth, the preacher of the Southern Baptist church from down the street came in and congratulated us and asked us to join him in prayer. We politely told him we were not xian and I thanked him for his congrats but we did not want to pray. He continued to try. "It's just a little prayer," he said. I maintained my civility, but I had to tell him that we appreciated his looking in on us, but we were not going to waste our time praying to a magic man in the sky and he has no chance of saving our souls. Do you think I offended him?

You should have told him this "I believe in Satan, and I only want to cast a little spell back on you and your family, if you don't mind."

I wonder how much civility he would show...

Do you think I offended him?

I sure as hell hope you offended him. What arrogance to attempt to "manipulate" you with his “harmless little” prayer.

Well, the theory is that if they pray over your child then your child basically has a much better chance of accepting Jesus at the age of accountability (whatever that is). It’s kinda like “spiritual” protection in their reasoning.

I know it sounds bizarre, but that’s how they rationalize it.

Yeeeeaaah.

and it's "just a little cocaine"......how about "just a little LSD?" or "just a little cow blood?"

after all, your wife was only "just a little bit pregnant" recently. And the result was "just a little baby".

how's about....."do not push YOUR views on me or my family or I'm going to get just a little pissed!"

I hope you did offend him. It was okay when he originally asked if you would join him in prayer, but after you said "no" and he kept pushing.....he was no longer there to congratulate you on you beautiful baby, he was there to intrude on your brand new family circle......something that truly IS "sacred".

You shouldn't worry about offending him....after all he sure wasn't concerned one bit about offending YOU.