Goodbye Jesus

Resurrection Blues

All Gods Fail

This was something that occurred to me after thinking about the 'What would it take for you to reconvert?' thread.

Originally I was going to say, 'Like Thomas, I'd want Jesus to appear to me and let me put my hand in his side." But that got me to thinking - why was Jesus raised from the dead with all his wounds unhealed? He would have been a frightful sight after being scourged, crucified, etc. He would have been more like a zombie! :eek:

Does this mean after we get resurrected we still have all the horrible wounds we received in life? What if you died from a gunshot, or a car crash? You'd still be horribly mangled, with unhealed, gaping wounds on your body.

Also, in the description of Jesus meeting Thomas, there is that odd little sentence about him eating the piece of fish. Why was that included? :Hmm: Maybe to convince readers Jesus was really alive? "Hey, he ate fish! Dead people don't eat fish!"

This just adds to the problem of xtian resurrection doctrine - it's like even the bible doesn't know. What form we are in the next life seems muddled and confused. Are we spirits, humans, or what? We must have some kind of body even if we get pitched into the lake of fire, because we burn. Jesus seems to have kept his original earthly body after his divine resurrection, complete with spear wounds. WTF?

It adds drama to the story. Since the resurrection was made up, the writer(s) left the wounds for some dramatic flair. That's the only guess I have :shrug:

He would have been more like a zombie! :eek:

Exactly. Think of all the effects of being dead for 3 days: rigor mortis, flesh breaking down and decaying, atrophy, etc. What about the smell? Phew. Yet we're supposed to believe that Jesus came back to life, as a perfectly coherent functioning being, in this same stinky decaying body that has had 3 full days to rot? Then were supposed to believe this same body was launched into outerspace, exposing Jesus to extreme elements (subzero temperatures, 200+ MPH jet stream winds, etc), and without burning up leaving our atmosphere, he continued on into deep space to this magical place we call heaven? LOL! :lmao:

This was something that occurred to me after thinking about the 'What would it take for you to reconvert?' thread.

Originally I was going to say, 'Like Thomas, I'd want Jesus to appear to me and let me put my hand in his side." But that got me to thinking - why was Jesus raised from the dead with all his wounds unhealed? He would have been a frightful sight after being scourged, crucified, etc. He would have been more like a zombie! :eek:

Does this mean after we get resurrected we still have all the horrible wounds we received in life? What if you died from a gunshot, or a car crash? You'd still be horribly mangled, with unhealed, gaping wounds on your body.

Also, in the description of Jesus meeting Thomas, there is that odd little sentence about him eating the piece of fish. Why was that included? :Hmm: Maybe to convince readers Jesus was really alive? "Hey, he ate fish! Dead people don't eat fish!"

This just adds to the problem of xtian resurrection doctrine - it's like even the bible doesn't know. What form we are in the next life seems muddled and confused. Are we spirits, humans, or what? We must have some kind of body even if we get pitched into the lake of fire, because we burn. Jesus seems to have kept his original earthly body after his divine resurrection, complete with spear wounds. WTF?

Maybe that's why his diciples didn't recognize him at first; He was a oozing pile of human flesh.

It's all about convenience. When it's beneficial for Jesus to be man he is. When something doesn't make sense, he's God. When we question inconsistencies, we go to Hell.

Let's see, I think I can sum this up pretty well, for all you White Wolf players out there, he is a Risen (or a Revnant for you 2.0 guys) with the flaw permanent wound, tied to the trauma of his death (and now we begin to angst).

/gamer (for those who don't understand the above, don't worry, its those that do who should)

IIRC it is common in legends to have certain dramatic and key wounds constantly show up, kind of as a god's signature, like Hephaestus' lame leg, or Odin's one eye, usually tied to a key story about them. Seems like this fits here.

Well if he was sort of a meat-blob that was poisited earlier in the thread, then I could understand why he was not recognizable.

My personal opinion about what happened with the story building was that the disciples claimed their Savior was risen, and in the beginning it was that he was risen "spiritually" and not in the body. And people rejected the message, because they wondered why they should believe in a ghost. Everyone that dies is a ghost anyway, so what's the diff. And they story had to be added with the extra little thing that he had wounds and could eat, so now Jebuz wasn't a ghost anymore but a living body again, and it suddenly was more "fantastic". Probably the truth behind it all is that the teacher (whoever it was) got killed, and in risk of losing face of believing an impostor, they invented the "resurrected" thing.

It is also interesting to note that Thomas was not present (when the resurrection first took place) with the 12 in John's account where he was in the 3 synoptic gospels. Additionally, John refers to Thomas as a Doubter 3 times in this Gospel, though this cannot be found elsewhere.

Historical findings suggest that this Gospel was not written by John himself or at least had another offer who changed things around a bit. Evidence also suggests that these allusions to Thomas' lack of faith to have been politically motivated and inserted by a zealous disciple of the Apostle John. There was quite the struggle between the Thomas Christians and those who followed John, apparently which was reflected in scripture.

So, just out of curiosity, was Jesus depicted with holes in his feet and such in the other 3 gospels?? If not, I suggest that this was added for dramatic affect and for spiritual-political purposes.

_/\_

Yeah, I think it's part and parcel of the mythology of the Wounded God/Hero.

Jesus thus joins such company as the Fisher King, Odin, Oedipus (who had wounded feet), Hephaestos, Prometheus, and so on.

Found this online.

It's an artist's interpretation of what Jesus was really like after coming back from the dead...

zjesus.jpg

Now that's a saviour I could respect.

:lmao:

Jezombie.

You would think that old JC would at least heal himself after resurrecting himself. After sacrificing himself, to himself, to appease himself, a bit of healing would only be a just reward to himself for all of the trouble he put himself through.

You would think that old JC would at least heal himself after resurrecting himself. After sacrificing himself, to himself, to appease himself, a bit of healing would only be a just reward to himself for all of the trouble he put himself through.

Maybe he ran out of holy go-juice so he couldn't finish the job. That was kind of a hectic weekend for him... :scratch: