Goodbye Jesus

I Am Sorry

bfuddled

I just returned home from a 4 day training for work (mental health field), where I roomed with 3 other coworkers. All 3 of them are hardcore Christians and since i am new(ish) to the company I haven't had any real conversations with anyone about my religious beliefs.

We stayed at a college dorm, 4 to a dorm, with 2 per room. Every morning one of the ladies would blast her Christian radio station as we got ready, and there were multiple conversations about God and how amazing he is, etc. I found  myself, for the first time in my life, as an outsider in the conversation, and I finally understand why and how uncomfortable it is to be surrounded by people who believe and feel like you can't (or aren't willing to) state that you're not entirely comfortable with the conversation/assumptions.

It was assumed that I agreed similarly to them, so I wasn't left out, but I kept pretty quiet. I just sat there feeling like an idiot for the times that I know I've done the same thing to other people, either purposefully or without realizing it.

For the first time in my life I understood WHY atheists could be angry and feel like Christians don't "get it". I felt myself getting angry at the assumption that I shared their beliefs and/or I was okay being inundated with them.

I just wanted to say I AM SORRY to all the people over the years that I have probably done the exact same thing to, sometimes even on purpose. I have lived in a delusional bubble of certainty that had no room to take others' feelings into account, and now I feel like an utter ass. I am truly sorry that I bought into the crazy notion that it was my "duty" to make others uncomfortable and/or even angry in order to "convert" them or "witness" to them. I hate that I was that inconsiderate of how it must have felt.

• Like 1

Your experience demonstrates you have a healthy level of empathy.  No need to feel sorry for that.

• Like 4

We've all been there.  This is one of the reasons the atheist community fights so hard for the separation of state and church.

• Like 1

And I am sorry to hear that you had such an uncomfortable experience during your training.  As FreeThinker said, we have all been there.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Sometimes living a better life as a result of your wrong-doing is the best amend you can make.

• Like 1

I just returned home from a 4 day training for work (mental health field), where I roomed with 3 other coworkers. All 3 of them are hardcore Christians and since i am new(ish) to the company I haven't had any real conversations with anyone about my religious beliefs.

We stayed at a college dorm, 4 to a dorm, with 2 per room. Every morning one of the ladies would blast her Christian radio station as we got ready, and there were multiple conversations about God and how amazing he is, etc. I found  myself, for the first time in my life, as an outsider in the conversation, and I finally understand why and how uncomfortable it is to be surrounded by people who believe and feel like you can't (or aren't willing to) state that you're not entirely comfortable with the conversation/assumptions.

It was assumed that I agreed similarly to them, so I wasn't left out, but I kept pretty quiet. I just sat there feeling like an idiot for the times that I know I've done the same thing to other people, either purposefully or without realizing it.

For the first time in my life I understood WHY atheists could be angry and feel like Christians don't "get it". I felt myself getting angry at the assumption that I shared their beliefs and/or I was okay being inundated with them.

I just wanted to say I AM SORRY to all the people over the years that I have probably done the exact same thing to, sometimes even on purpose. I have lived in a delusional bubble of certainty that had no room to take others' feelings into account, and now I feel like an utter ass. I am truly sorry that I bought into the crazy notion that it was my "duty" to make others uncomfortable and/or even angry in order to "convert" them or "witness" to them. I hate that I was that inconsiderate of how it must have felt.

Stay in a hotel next time. :-)

I just don't ever remember feeling the compulsion to talk about Jesus 24/7 while I was a Christian. It's sad that they have nothing else to think about except their imaginary leader.

• Like 1

I think your company should be apologizing to YOU for being too cheap to spring for a damn hotel room. Seriously, they have some explaining to do. Two things I swear I will never do again: ride in a packed church van across several states 2: share sleeping quarters with someone I don't know. It works when you're sixteen, not when you're an adult.

Don't beat yourself up too much. I was a pretty annoying Happy Jesus Girl myself. The good thing is, you've learned and grown as a person and you're no longer an annoying Christian Woman of Faith. Forgive yourself.  :)

• Like 2

You could also say, "Jesus mother fucking Christ! Turn off that Goddamn Christian music before I go insane!!!!" :-)

• Like 1

Thanks everyone

You could also say, "Jesus mother fucking Christ! Turn off that Goddamn Christian music before I go insane!!!!" :-)

GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif That would be awesome! I did contemplate whether I should play my audiobook I'm listening to.. "The Manual for Creating Atheists", that refers to Christians as infected with the "faith virus". I'm sure they would have loved that. :D

• Like 1

I just don't ever remember feeling the compulsion to talk about Jesus 24/7 while I was a Christian. It's sad that they have nothing else to think about except their imaginary leader.

I wonder if women do this more than men.  Just a theory.  My sister fills the gaps between talking with hummed worship music.  It is really annoying.

Isn't it weird being on the outside looking in now! I have that sensation all the time thinking "wow, that used to be me! So glad I changed! I sounded like a lunatic!" Listening to co workers talk about god and the assumptions they make about those around them is a point of amusement to me now. If I may share my own story, just this past Lenten season I had several coworkers ask me what I gave up for lent. I felt like saying "shouldn't you take the time to find out if I'm a Christian first??" The assumption was just there, even though I'm very new to the company. I enjoy stories like yours. It's a reminder of the stupidity we've left behind!

I wonder if women do this more than men.  Just a theory.  My sister fills the gaps between talking with hummed worship music.  It is really annoying.

Wow! That would be annoying.... and just a bit weird!?

Well, I have read that women are generally more religious than men and tend to take it more seriously, it fits my childhood experiences pretty well.  It was my mother who forced me to go to church every week, even if it was my dad who dragged me out of bed by my ankles.  It was my mom who used jesus as a guilt trip when I was bad by asking me what jesus thinks of my discretion, even if it was my dad who did the disciplining when he got home.  It was my mom who cried about my salvation when I came out as an Atheist, and my dad just sat there...

• Super Moderator

Well, I have read that women are generally more religious than men and tend to take it more seriously, it fits my childhood experiences pretty well.  It was my mother who forced me to go to church every week, even if it was my dad who dragged me out of bed by my ankles.  It was my mom who used jesus as a guilt trip when I was bad by asking me what jesus thinks of my discretion, even if it was my dad who did the disciplining when he got home.  It was my mom who cried about my salvation when I came out as an Atheist, and my dad just sat there...

Same here.

Well, to me one of the advantages of knowing you don't belong to a group is that you have no particular reason to be anything other than an outsider and not really having to care about it.

It's a far healthier place to be than spouting the same drivel as everyone else having convinced yourself that you believe it.

So, bfuddled, whilst I acknowledge the frustration of being obliged to listen to their nonsense, I'd see this as indicative of your being in a better place than you were when you would have joined in with them...

Well, to me one of the advantages of knowing you don't belong to a group is that you have no particular reason to be anything other than an outsider and not really having to care about it.

It's a far healthier place to be than spouting the same drivel as everyone else having convinced yourself that you believe it.

So, bfuddled, whilst I acknowledge the frustration of being obliged to listen to their nonsense, I'd see this as indicative of your being in a better place than you were when you would have joined in with them...

That's a good point!