Goodbye Jesus

Was Jesus Advocating The Hippie Lifestyle?

EdwardAbbey

Take no thought for the morrow." – Matthew 6:34

"Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?" – Matthew 6.25

Well isn’t this the basic attitude/outlook on life of a hippie?

Comments?

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

Too bad he didn't mention smoking weed to complete the image.

You know, maybe he DID mention smoking herb but it was in a lost book that the early church destroyed....never know.

hippys are usually tolerant and have a live and let live attitude. they wouldnt be like worship me or youll burn in hell. some parts of it could be hippy ways of thinking but youd have to cut and paste the bible up a bit lol

It would explain the origins of the expression "Holy Smoke" in any case.

it does say in genisis ever herb you shall eat lol

quote name='Vixentrox' date='Jan 8 2006, 11:27 PM' post='128651']

You know, maybe he DID mention smoking herb but it was in a lost book that the early church destroyed....never know.

you know, maybe he DID mention smoking herb but it was in a lost book that the early church destroyed....never know.

how convenient for them.... :jesus:

The only two problems I have with the hippie subculture, apart from the slovenliness, are the beliefs in pacifism and communal-type living. Jesus I don't think said much, if anything at all, about communal-tye living, but he is known to have said the infamous lines such as "turn the other cheek" and "resist not evil." I always had major problems with this when I was Xian, and really understood why people took Jesus for a hippie when they considered those things.

In many ways, yes, it seems that Jesus was some kind of proto-hippie, and not in the ways I could tolerate.

Of course he was a hippy. He had long hair, lived in a commune... he was a sandal-wearing pacifist who was always stirring up shit with the local authorities. Why, he was a dress-wearin' pinko commie! He talked a fair amount about helping out the poor, and was no fan of rich folks...

He probably played bongo drums and practiced free love with those multitudes. :jesus:

Well isn’t this the basic attitude/outlook on life of a hippie?
One of the first trully socially relevant questions I've seen.

The problem was that Jesus said to always seek that it be done on Earth as it is in Heaven. But He didn't say exactly what it was like in Heaven. The concept of Peace and serenty being what Heaven truly is comes from the serious peace of mind obtained when all conflict is removed.

The Buddhist concept of Heaven and the Heaven sought for 2000 years was merely a foundation. Upon the foundation of Peace, you build the activity that is of Heaven.

The thought of such extreme Peace was very much like clearing the ground for building your house. If you stop right there, then weeds take over.

But if they had kept seeking the real Heaven as He suggested, then they would have not sought merely Peace, but the whirling ballet that the real Heaven is all about.

Interesting article in (where else) High Times.

Was Jesus a stoner?

This holy anointing oil, as described in the original Hebrew version of the recipe in Exodus (30:22-23), contained over six pounds of kaneh-bosem, a substance identified by respected etymologists, linguists, anthropologists, botanists and other researchers as cannabis, extracted into about six quarts of olive oil, along with a variety of other fragrant herbs. The ancient anointed ones were literally drenched in this potent mixture.

Hmm...might have to reconsider my de-conversion if this pans out. :scratch:

Sometime way back when, I read an article that it was likely Jesus or the Jesus-myth was influenced by eastern religions such as buddhism. Could lend a hippie flavor to the whole thing. Whatever the case, people just cherry-pick the message of jesus to say whatever it is they want to say.

LOL - yeah, forgot about those bits. Jesus is a pinko hippie! Lmao!

Jesus20Doin20Weed.jpg

Of course he was a hippy. He had long hair, lived in a commune... he was a sandal-wearing pacifist who was always stirring up shit with the local authorities. Why, he was a dress-wearin' pinko commie! He talked a fair amount about helping out the poor, and was no fan of rich folks...

He probably played bongo drums and practiced free love with those multitudes. :jesus:

That could very well be the true Jesus bro.

:HaHa:

Jesus20Doin20Weed.jpg

:lmao:

Dude, didn't you know that the command to "Go forth and smoke some bud." was lost when the page was accidently used as emergency rolling paper.

If he was such a hippy, what was with that "I have brought a sword" line?

The ancient Greek word for "sword" was actually quite close to the one for "bong", so it could have been a mistranslation.

Hey I'm a Commie, I like to wear dresses (when i'm alone at home), I love marijuana, I'm a Buddhist preaching about sticking it to the man and throwing off oppresion. I've been thinking about longer hair........ OH DEAR GOD............ I MUST BE THE SECOND COMING!!!!! As my first act as newly appointed Jesus, I change my mind. All Jews, Christians and Muslims are going to hell and everyone else will go to heaven where they will have the option to stay or be reincarnated, or stay a little while then go. Marijuana is a holy herb that if smoked will assure you happiness and wipes away at least two sins each time you puff. If you are a Christian, muslim or Jew and would like tickets to Heaven then I will judge your life according to how you lived. Hot Christian, Jewish, and Muslim Women may gain instant heaven access if you give me a massage, pay my bills, give me a blowjob and declare your love for me, but thats just if you have been bad..... well Jesus is now a friend to you heathans.

"Jesus then rose his hand and every none Christian, muslim, or Jew was given a lifetime supply of weed and 40 virgins which he stole from Allah"

peace,

BC

p.s. Thats what I would do, but thats probably also why I'm most likely not Jesus.... but oh well.

According to King Missile, Jesus could turn water into wine, wheat into marijuana, and powered sugar into cocaine. He could play guitar better than Hendrix and he could bake the most delicious pie you've ever tasted. He was way cool.