Goodbye Jesus

Feminist Threads, Cue Trolls

Orbit

The only enlightenment I have gained is realization that atheism doesn't cure misogyny in it's most basic forms.

evidently it doesn't cure the old Christian persecution complex either...

*runs for my life* :P

Here is my deep academic pronouncement: people in general need to check their bullshit. Men, check your bullshit. Women, check yours.

The feminist straw (wo)man is about as boring as the atheist straw man. Atheists are hateful, evil, and eat children for brunch. Feminists want to cut your dick off.

There's a lot of needless stereotyping and demonizing going on when people talk about gender. It's just not necessary, and the level of paranoia and vitriol surrounding feminism by some posters is epically ridiculous.

/rant

Gheeze ma'am, deeply academic, every response should be data.....just sayin'. Oh, I forgot, we are supposed to be equal...oops, sorry.

"/rant"

Didn't want to disappoint you Rank.

Wouldn't want the truth to come out that men and women are different or anything. Honesty must mean one is still religiously oppressing the ladies.

This is why you're impossible to take seriously.

No one is debating whether men and women are different. You are claiming women are incompetent and lazy. You have no evidence to support your claims. They meet the definition of prejudice and your behaviour meets the definition of bigotry. That's why you don't get a free pass from me.
Your words, not mine and rank and I didn't say anything that isn't common knowledge to reasonable people. I won't go tit for tat with you, just let my own words stand by themselves and don't re frame them for others as you aren't qualified to be honest or accurate.

People can read your words themselves and see that you agreed with rank that "women are not good at mechanical work" and your various ridiculous comments about "lots of" and "plenty of" women lazing around on their husband's money.  You both are affected by outdated prejudices and you haven't resiled from anything you've said about it or provided a shred of evidence to support your views.  Now you are trying to deflect by accusing me of lying but your words are there for everyone to read.    

Vigile's posts about women lazing around are #70 and #75 here:

http://www.ex-christian.net/topic/62975-miss-nevada-a-black-belt-gets-bashed-by-feminists-after-suggesting-women-learn-self-defense/page-4?hl=husband#entry959731

I put in plenty of qualifiers along with that statement- but I'll stand by it and play the bad guy if you like.

I find it really odd though when I see people flipping out over observed reality.  As I've pointed out, I have A LOT of mechanical experience- I've been doing mechanical work for my entire adult life.  Hell I was taking apart toys and/or modifying them starting at 4 or 5 years old- mechanical thingys are a lifelong obsession for me.  

I know what's involved in mechanical work- and I know who DOES mechanical work- I've given you statistics to support that.  By and large, women don't do mechanical work.  Once again I'll state (and once again you'll ignore) that yes there are exceptions- I've no doubt there are women out there who would surpass even MY OWN god-like mechanical aptitude. smile.png  But such creatures are so exceedingly rare that I've never encountered one and I don't expect I ever will.  For that matter I've never encountered a single woman who's demonstrated the mechanical aptitude that even your average male hillbilly demonstrates regularly.  In all my years of manufacturing, repair, truck driving, and engineering- I've met NOT ONE woman in person who would even fix her own car (though Ravenstar would make two such women I've met via the internet).

Now maybe this is all some massive woman-hating conspiracy by which men just won't LET women take on nasty, hot, dirty, and dangerous jobs.  Seems odd to me though that I've seen so LITTLE interest in such things from the fairer sex.  Combine this near total absence of females in the mechanical trades with what we're learning about sexual dimorphism in brain development... and I don't think I'm making an extraordinary claim at all.  I'm just spelling out what I've experienced pretty much every day of my life.  Sorry if that don't mesh with your ideology.  PageofCupsBounce99.gif

So here's my challenge for feminists:  If women truly are interested in mechanical stuff and are truly good at that kind of thing... prove it.  Go get a job fixing trucks.  Hauling tractors.  Designing aircraft mechanical systems.  When ya'll have a flat tire- fix it.  Don't call some husband/boyfriend/wrecker driver to do it.  Man up and take care of the problem.

Unless/until troglodytes like myself see that with their own eyes... we're not likely to take these ideological browbeatings seriously.  And if you think I'M sexist... well I can only conclude that you're remarkably sheltered.  Every mechanical job I had from age 18 to age 34 was a goddamn sausage-fest... and this was not an educated or politically correct crowd.  I'm talking about men from the trailer parks and ghettos of America- I've spent plenty of time in both neighborhoods.  I could tell you stories of sexism from these guys that make ME nauseous just to think about.  If ya'll can't relate to ME (educated, pro-choice, fairly liberal politically)- then ya'll have ZERO chance interfacing with the reality that's out there.

Thank you for providing, in your last para, an example of one of the reasons not many women want to work in mechanical fields, the overt sexism of the losers they'll encounter.  And why, if you're a liberal, do you align yourself with conservatives by being sexist yourself?  You're only helping their cause y'know.

• Super Moderator

Thank you for providing, in your last para, an example of one of the reasons not many women want to work in mechanical fields, the overt sexism of the losers they'll encounter.  And why, if you're a liberal, do you align yourself with conservatives by being sexist yourself?  You're only helping their cause y'know.

I spent 10 years working as a journeyman electrician (which is a mechanical field) and I take exception to being referred to as a "loser" simply because I worked a trade.  I provided for my family the best I could, given what I had to work with.  

Moreover, the few women I met during my occupation in the construction industry (and there were not a few), were treated with the utmost respect and courtesy on my part.  

While I don't deny that overt sexism existed in the trade, you've just demonstrated that you are capable of the very over-generalization you're attempting to argue against.  

• Like 2

I spent 10 years working as a journeyman electrician (which is a mechanical field) and I take exception to being referred to as a "loser" simply because I worked a trade.  I provided for my family the best I could, given what I had to work with.  

Moreover, the few women I met during my occupation in the construction industry (and there were not a few), were treated with the utmost respect and courtesy on my part.  

While I don't deny that overt sexism existed in the trade, you've just demonstrated that you are capable of the very over-generalization you're attempting to argue against.  

I was referring to the men Rank was talking about, not men in trades in general.  The men he was talking about had made sexist comments, and therefore they were losers.  Rank has made sexist comments himself and I was addressing that.

So are more men doing the mechanical type career  fields because women aren't interested in this work? Or is it because women really ARE interested in this work but since it's a male dominated field , women aren't given a fair shake in the hiring process? And hence these females with mechanical aptitude are re-directed to other jobs that are traditionally female careers? What kind of gender hiring biases are there against males in female dominated career fields?

Two anecdotes from two guys I know that put a smile on my face sometimes:

1. My adult son waited for the tow truck to arrive to change his tire that he could have changed himself. I can't really give him a hard time though because he operates a .50 cal machine gun at work. :-)

2. My brother has probably never used a wrench in his life. He may not know what one is. Anything technical is alien to him. I do harass him a lot. :-)

From Post 224:

I was referring to the men Rank was talking about, not men in trades in general.  Rank has made sexist comments himself and I was addressing that.

Please do above ^^ define as Boards most knowledgeable femme about Brutish Males and their Problems.

kL

Wouldn't want the truth to come out that men and women are different or anything. Honesty must mean one is still religiously oppressing the ladies.

This is why you're impossible to take seriously.

No one is debating whether men and women are different. You are claiming women are incompetent and lazy. You have no evidence to support your claims. They meet the definition of prejudice and your behaviour meets the definition of bigotry. That's why you don't get a free pass from me.
Your words, not mine and rank and I didn't say anything that isn't common knowledge to reasonable people. I won't go tit for tat with you, just let my own words stand by themselves and don't re frame them for others as you aren't qualified to be honest or accurate.

People can read your words themselves and see that you agreed with rank that "women are not good at mechanical work" and your various ridiculous comments about "lots of" and "plenty of" women lazing around on their husband's money. You both are affected by outdated prejudices and you haven't resiled from anything you've said about it or provided a shred of evidence to support your views. Now you are trying to deflect by accusing me of lying but your words are there for everyone to read.

Vigile's posts about women lazing around are #70 and #75 here:

http://www.ex-christian.net/topic/62975-miss-nevada-a-black-belt-gets-bashed-by-feminists-after-suggesting-women-learn-self-defense/page-4?hl=husband#entry959731

I put in plenty of qualifiers along with that statement- but I'll stand by it and play the bad guy if you like.

I find it really odd though when I see people flipping out over observed reality. As I've pointed out, I have A LOT of mechanical experience- I've been doing mechanical work for my entire adult life. Hell I was taking apart toys and/or modifying them starting at 4 or 5 years old- mechanical thingys are a lifelong obsession for me.

I know what's involved in mechanical work- and I know who DOES mechanical work- I've given you statistics to support that. By and large, women don't do mechanical work. Once again I'll state (and once again you'll ignore) that yes there are exceptions- I've no doubt there are women out there who would surpass even MY OWN god-like mechanical aptitude. smile.png But such creatures are so exceedingly rare that I've never encountered one and I don't expect I ever will. For that matter I've never encountered a single woman who's demonstrated the mechanical aptitude that even your average male hillbilly demonstrates regularly. In all my years of manufacturing, repair, truck driving, and engineering- I've met NOT ONE woman in person who would even fix her own car (though Ravenstar would make two such women I've met via the internet).

Now maybe this is all some massive woman-hating conspiracy by which men just won't LET women take on nasty, hot, dirty, and dangerous jobs. Seems odd to me though that I've seen so LITTLE interest in such things from the fairer sex. Combine this near total absence of females in the mechanical trades with what we're learning about sexual dimorphism in brain development... and I don't think I'm making an extraordinary claim at all. I'm just spelling out what I've experienced pretty much every day of my life. Sorry if that don't mesh with your ideology. PageofCupsBounce99.gif

So here's my challenge for feminists: If women truly are interested in mechanical stuff and are truly good at that kind of thing... prove it. Go get a job fixing trucks. Hauling tractors. Designing aircraft mechanical systems. When ya'll have a flat tire- fix it. Don't call some husband/boyfriend/wrecker driver to do it. Man up and take care of the problem.

Unless/until troglodytes like myself see that with their own eyes... we're not likely to take these ideological browbeatings seriously. And if you think I'M sexist... well I can only conclude that you're remarkably sheltered. Every mechanical job I had from age 18 to age 34 was a goddamn sausage-fest... and this was not an educated or politically correct crowd. I'm talking about men from the trailer parks and ghettos of America- I've spent plenty of time in both neighborhoods. I could tell you stories of sexism from these guys that make ME nauseous just to think about. If ya'll can't relate to ME (educated, pro-choice, fairly liberal politically)- then ya'll have ZERO chance interfacing with the reality that's out there.

Thank you for providing, in your last para, an example of one of the reasons not many women want to work in mechanical fields, the overt sexism of the losers they'll encounter. And why, if you're a liberal, do you align yourself with conservatives by being sexist yourself? You're only helping their cause y'know.

so, mechanics are rampantly sexist? Can't complain about stereotyping and then turn around and do it yourself, even if it is plucked from something rank said.

So are more men doing the mechanical type career  fields because women aren't interested in this work? Or is it because women really ARE interested in this work but since it's a male dominated field , women aren't given a fair shake in the hiring process? And hence these females with mechanical aptitude are re-directed to other jobs that are traditionally female careers? What kind of gender hiring biases are there against males in female dominated career fields?

1. My adult son waited for the tow truck to arrive to change his tire that he could have changed himself. I can't really give him a hard time though because he operates a .50 cal machine gun at work. :-)

2. My brother has probably never used a wrench in his life. He may not know what one is. Anything technical is alien to him. I do harass him a lot. :-)

I know what a wrench is and in my hands, it's a destructive little bugger. :)

Was he just to lazy to change it?