Goodbye Jesus

Personal Experiences With God

LukeExChristian

every now and again, religion and my rejection to believe in any of it comes up. so far, just with my great-grandmother, and her daughter - my grandmother.

every time i corner them on something, they almost always switch to talking about how i used to believe or what god's done for them or my great grandmother's near death experience. the last time this happened, my great grandmother claimed that it was god that came and got my great grandfather when he passed away. that god waited until it was time for my great grandfather to go, and then he took a deep breath, and that was it.

during her near death experience, my great grandmother said she saw HER mother. her mother was saying "go back, go back" but my great grandmother did not want to, but her mother kept saying "go back." my great grandmother actually had tore and artery open and her blood pressure was deadly low, and she said it was when the paramedic or doctor patched her up and her blood pressure shot back up to normal, was when my great grandmother decided to come back.

my grandmother (not great grandmother), admitted to me that about the first 10 years of her marriage, she was still looking for other men... she had married my grandfather just because. it was then during an intercessory prayer session, that god revealed to her that satan had been lying to her. she had, in fact married who she was supposed to, but satan lied to her.

another time my (still awesome but not great) grandmother said i used to love the lord and be on fire for him. maybe that guilt trip would have worked 5 years ago.

and THIS is what they turn to when they do not have an answer, THIS is what comes up once i refute the "god of the gaps" arguement and have exploited holes in christian morality, and have pointed out flaws in the bible.they believe that THIS is irrefutable evidence that he exists.

I dread the day when I do refute this

nani... you were unconscious and the only working part of you was a few brain cells, and it wasn't until the doctor opened up your hood and hotwired you did you come back to, what happened during your hullicinarion had nothing to do with what was happening in the rest of the world.

and if god wanted to take grandpa, why did he let get in such horrible condition? he had to get around on a wheelchair. and he had to carry around an oxygen tank. if god could come and take him, than couldnt he also made he last few months more pleasant?

was satan lying to you? or do you like to think satan was lying to you? did you just want a reason to think you married the right person afterall? isn't it better knowing that you married the right person BECAUSE YOU THOUGHT IT THROUGH rather than from some other outside supernatural entity telling you? why didn't god simply tell you from the beginning you married the right person?

if you let me explain... i can tell why i believed in god back then, and not now. but to do that i'd have to tell you the real reason why everytime someone has "fallen out." or "the holy spirit moved" it was all simulated in your mind.

i dread the day when i get them to figure out that god is just a simulation people run in their minds.

maybe i wont though... just wanted get this rant off my chest.

i dread the day when i get them to figure out that god is just a simulation people run in their minds.

Do you think this is possible? :-)

Guest afireinside

I met Jesus one night, he seduced me and afterwards gave me his number but when I called it a voice said "the number you are calling does not exist" it took me 10 years to get over that disappointment.

Seriously though I had a lot of prophetic words spoken to me that seemed legit but looking back they were very hit and miss. I reminded God about these "words" all the time and said I'm ready to see all those things happen but never got to see much action.

I had people I know claim that during NDE's they saw/spoke to God or angels and said "go back" the reasoning for this seems uncertain. The experiences vary in type and there's little consistency: one saw hell on an acid trip, one spoke to Jesus another saw my dead grandmother-she's a spiritualist so go figure and my friend had a heroin overdose and an angel told him it was his last chance. I put it down to over active minds.

While i dislike discrediting people's weird experiences, i also dislike having my perfectly reasonable doubts dismissed. I haven't dared to say stuff like "it's just your oxygen-deprived neurons firing randomly", but maybe i will say something to that extent, if i finally get fed up and snap one day. That would mean i'd finally talk to them like i would to sane, mentally capable grown ups. Like to equals. Maybe they are pushing me to do just that. Currently i am just sulking and bitter and distancing them from me. Not worth treating as equals. Only going to be struck back really low and cheap. Always the easiest riposte affirming their own view. No uncertainty ever admitted. Maybe i'm right. I want to go back and realize i have been a fool. I never want to do that.

People have these mystical experiences in other religions as well. But your religious funny relatives will just discredit the validity of any of these accounts.

I am increasingly convinced that it is pointless having any rational conversation about religious beliefs windjammer rusted on Christians.

Do you think this is possible? :-)

i changed MY mind... it's unlikely, but definitely possible 

why would God create you and then hate you?

Wait, even if you accept that NDEs are actually the result of ending up on "the other side" - she saw her grandma. She didn't see God. I just don't see how God gets into this at all... So, the God of the gaps argument here is pretty much ALL gaps. It's got so many holes, it's like a sieve.

Wait, even if you accept that NDEs are actually the result of ending up on "the other side" - she saw her grandma. She didn't see God. I just don't see how God gets into this at all... So, the God of the gaps argument here is pretty much ALL gaps. It's got so many holes, it's like a sieve.

i had not even thought of that. something i'll mention if this comes up again... hopefully not