Goodbye Jesus

The First Rule Of Fight Club....

bfuddled

So I was having a conversation with a friend about getting into physical fights, and we were talking about how neither of us had ever actually full on punched someone in the face. I had my share of physical "fights" with my brothers, but they ended by the time I was in middle school and were never "serious" anyway.

I'm a pretty non-confrontational person, so never have been even close to getting in a physical altercation with someone, and now that I'm a 30 something suburban house wife, I kind of think my chance has probably passed.

The thing is, there's a part of me that WANTS to experience what that's like. I don't want to actually hurt someone (permenantly at least), but just to feel what it's like to physically punch someone in the face and/or get punched. Is that weird?

Have you ever gotten in an all out physical fight? Am I the only one that thinks that a real Fight Club might be beneficial for some people? Maybe I need to take up kickboxing or something? :D

Join a boxing gym.  Try to avoid a place that requires a contract.  Look for a place that lets you try it for a month.  If there are no boxing gyms nearby look for mixed martial arts.  Boxing gloves are to protect the hands.  Wear gloves.

• Like 1

This might be my favorite thread so far.

bfuddled, maybe you should change your interests to: arts, crafting, photography, punching someone in the face...  haha.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

I think there are better ways to express aggression and release endorphins. I've only been in two fights as a kid. I never got hurt but I knocked out a guy's front tooth, which I regret to this day. Physical fighting does seem to be part of human nature, though.

Bfuddled, I rather suspect you would find a real fight a very distressing experience.

Last time was many years ago when I was a teenager - some idiot thought I was easy meat but lost interest when I took him off his feet with a head-butt.

I did not enjoy it, and have always tried to avoid coming to blows.

If you must, the advice above is sound.  Safe environment, no-one damaged.

• Like 1

You are breaking the first two rules of Fight Club my friend...

But I approve of the given answers, go and try some form of martial art. I have done judo for the best part of my life and I miss it like water in the desert, It's very relieving to be able to fight people and be fought with. Maybe you are feeling that surpressed ancient savage inside you who just wants to show what he's worth.

Go get them, tiger.

• Like 1

Oh boy, I got in a scuffle with a coworker when I was a teenager working late at night at a restaurant. I was tired and this guy (my age) was hanging around my area of work trying to avoid...well, working. He was telling dead baby jokes which I find really offensive and I asked him to stop. Well, he decided he was going to get in my face and refuse to leave. I put my hands on his chest and pushed him back and the next thing I  know he has me in a headlock and I panicked and started beating him as hard as I could. A coworker saw us and broke it up. It happened very fast and was over in a few seconds. I was really embarrassed that it happened in front of customers and I knew if a manager had seen us fighting we would have both been fired.

I wouldn't classify it as a fight since there wasn't any real damage. More of a scuffle. 

And I agree with the above posters, martial arts or boxing would probably give you the sense of strength and power you're looking for. My husband trained in Krav Maga for about 6 months and he said it made him feel safer during that time, knowing he could protect himself if he had to.

• Like 1

This might be my favorite thread so far.

bfuddled, maybe you should change your interests to: arts, crafting, photography, punching someone in the face...  haha.

:D Great idea.. then maybe I won't have to do it IRL  (see my updated interests ;) )

I think there are better ways to express aggression and release endorphins. I've only been in two fights as a kid. I never got hurt but I knocked out a guy's front tooth, which I regret to this day. Physical fighting does seem to be part of human nature, though.

yeah, I'm the same way. I punched the school bully for bouncing a soccer ball on the back of my head. He respected me for it and we ended up friends. I made an innocent joke about a guy on the bus once, but he took offense and punched me when we got off. I didn't hit back as I felt bad for offending him. Finally, I stupidly shot a bottle rocket at a group sitting around a fire on the beach. I wanted to skiddaddle, but more best friend who was driving told me you'll stay here and take your medicine. One of them wanted to fight and punched me, but I didn't hit back as I knew I deserved it. My buddy was clearly more mature than I.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Try taking karate lessons.  

biggrin.png Great idea.. then maybe I won't have to do it IRL  (see my updated interests wink.png )

smile.png

I am fairly tall, clocking it at around 6'5" (depending on the time of day you measure me ;) ). Unfortunately this attracts a lot of guys wanting to show how tough they are taking on a big fella. I got into a couple of fights in HS and I often attract attention going into a bar. A couple of years ago I was in a bar going to get a drink. As I was looking around this guy goes:

hey, are you looking at me?

I told him no and went to go on my way when he blocks me and says

hey man, I'm pretty sure you were looking at me. Do you have a problem?

*sigh* look, I know you're looking to assert your dominance or some shit but I'm just looking to get a drink and have fun with my friends. It's obvious that you just want to start a fight so if you want the fight, just come out and say it. Let's not play these games.

What? I don't want a fight *walks off*

Seeing that I use to go through this bullshit a lot, and have been put in situations where people have had weapons out in my face - I'm not particularly keen on getting into fights. I do agree with others, taking up a martial art might be a good idea though.

I am fairly tall, clocking it at around 6'5" (depending on the time of day you measure me wink.png ). Unfortunately this attracts a lot of guys wanting to show how tough they are taking on a big fella. I got into a couple of fights in HS and I often attract attention going into a bar. A couple of years ago I was in a bar going to get a drink. As I was looking around this guy goes:

hey, are you looking at me?

I told him no and went to go on my way when he blocks me and says

hey man, I'm pretty sure you were looking at me. Do you have a problem?

*sigh* look, I know you're looking to assert your dominance or some shit but I'm just looking to get a drink and have fun with my friends. It's obvious that you just want to start a fight so if you want the fight, just come out and say it. Let's not play these games.

What? I don't want a fight *walks off*

Seeing that I use to go through this bullshit a lot, and have been put in situations where people have had weapons out in my face - I'm not particularly keen on getting into fights. I do agree with others, taking up a martial art might be a good idea though.

My little brother has always been really tall for his age, he's probably 6'4 now, and he's said the same thing. When he was just in elementary school he'd have highschoolers trying to pick fights with him because they thought he was older and/or they wanted to prove themselves to someone.

If you count martial arts sparring as an "actual" fight sure.  I never directly hit a guy in the face in one of these fights, as it's against the rules, but I did knock a guy out cold with a back-kick to his face once.

Taekwondo can be surprisingly brutal.

My husband lost his two front teeth and number of other teeth in a fight with a guy wearing steel-toed boots.  This was well before I knew him.  But it's still just incredibly sad.  And incredibly expensive.

I always tell him, "Hugs, not slugs," which annoys him!  He doesn't fight any more, but it's not because of me.

• Like 1

I'm sure the idea I have of a fight is a much romanticized version and the truth is much uglier/not fun. Just one of those things I wonder if I need to do before I die.

I'm sure the idea I have of a fight is a much romanticized version and the truth is much uglier/not fun. Just one of those things I wonder if I need to do before I die.

Do you feel the need to fall off a ladder, get in a car wreck or roll down a flight of stairs?  Fights are painful and pointless.

• Like 1

Do you feel the need to fall off a ladder, get in a car wreck or roll down a flight of stairs?  Fights are painful and pointless.

Sure, if it's an experience worth having. I've already done all three, though, and I think I'm good. ;)

BTW it was partly tongue-in-cheek.. hence the last comment.

If you count martial arts sparring as an "actual" fight sure.  I never directly hit a guy in the face in one of these fights, as it's against the rules, but I did knock a guy out cold with a back-kick to his face once.

Taekwondo can be surprisingly brutal.

There are other martial arts that allow punching to the head.  Just make sure you go to a place that used proper head gear because . . . otherwise . . . I don't remember.  What were we talking about again?  

• Like 1