Goodbye Jesus

Flying Horses - Wtf?!

Burny

I haven't been very active on this site for a while - I'm pretty comfortable as an Atheist 1.5 years after my deconversion and I don't feel the need to vent about it very often anymore. But every once in a while I do feel the need to let some steam escape... zDuivel7.gif

Here's something I want to say to all my MANY family and friends still stuck in the xtian indoctrination cycle;

______________________________________________________________________________________

Imagine a man on a horse, flying through the air. Literally flying. Ridiculous right? This is the stuff of Santa Clause legend - certainly nobody would take a story like this literally?

Well, if you're a Jew, Muslim or Christian - you do take this story literally! When I tell Christians that Muslim's believe that Muhammad flew from Mecca to Jerusalem on the back of a mythical steed, they scoff.

"Wow - how could anyone actually believe that anymore?!"

The shocker comes when I remind them that they share a belief about flying horses with both the Muslims and Jews (and Mormons). Yes, you read that correctly. Over 3.5 billion people on earth today, believe that horses can fly - and many believe that this happened more than once historically! These 3.5 billion people teach their kids that this literally happened - they color in cartoons of it at Sunday schools or mosques all over the world. And in turn, these kids teach their kids and the cycle repeats as it has already for 3,000 years.

In 2 Kings 2:11 Elijah is taken up to Heaven on a chariot pulled by two flying horses. Even more dramatic than Muhammad though - his horses (and chariot) were on FIRE!! Before you stared protesting that this is only myth - that you don't believe this actually happened in fact, realize that you are going down a very slippery slope with this so-called argument from myth.

If a story about flying, fiery horses is only a myth (because no-one could believe in flying horses - much less ones on fire) and never really happened historically, than why do you believe the very same book when it tells you that historically, a young Jewish virgin woman was impregnated by a non-physical god who couldn't even have his share of the 46 chromosomes needed to accomplish the task?

If you can't believe in flying, fiery horses, how can you believe that Mary bore a son who was both man and god and that this man literally floated up into Heaven (how could he breathe above 30,000 feet?) after rising from the dead first?

You cannot have it both ways. You either believe unbelievable things happened in the past and were recorded in your holy book exactly as they happened, or you don't. And if these things happened in the past, but in the very same physical world where you now live, than they could (and should) happen again some day, or you have to (conveniently and illogically) invent a reason why they can't and won't ever happen again - where they can be subjected to video recorders and scientific inquisition - funny how all physical miracles ceased, once science started asking questions and demanding measurable evidence!

And now we get to what I call the most important consideration for current believers. As a person of religious persuasions you believe that over half the world is completely wrong about their world view and fundamental belief system regarding the entire point and operation of the universe around us. You think that at least 3.5 billion people are completely wrong about their ideas of God or no God. Everyone else's holy books are nothing but myth and legend and stories, according to you. Their holy men and women might be very intelligent, but you still think they're pretty much 100% flat out wrong. But have you ever honestly considered what they think about you and your beliefs?

Do you realize (and most important - do you have the courage to acknowledge) that statistically and realistically you are likely wrong about a lot that you assume is fundamentally true about the origin, meaning and end of your life and life of every single human ever to have lived on our planet?

Don't just shrug your shoulders at this point. I want you to stare in the mirror of reality and deal with this consideration in a very stark and real manner. Do you really KNOW why you are RIGHT and everyone else is necessarily WRONG? If so, prove it. If for no other reason, to convince yourself all over again.

• Prove why horses (and men) can fly (on fire) or float up into heaven (without suffocating from lack of oxygen when they get high enough).
  • Prove why your ancient book is full of historical and practical facts and everyone else's ancient books are just full of tired myths.
  • Prove why you are rational with your irrational beliefs while everyone else is just plain irrational.
  • Prove why science and inquiry continues to shrink the "God of the gaps" but God still has to exist. Why is the logical conclusion not the opposite - that God is either not there or not involved with our physical reality?
  • Prove why there's no possibility that you are operating within a world of indoctrination and falsehoods while everyone else (according to you), obviously is .
  • Prove that not only are you correct, but your brand of religion (i.e. sect) just happens to be the MOST correct version of Christianity, or Islam or Mormonism.
  • Prove why you alone, among billions, just happened to be born into the truth while everyone else should change to believe what you were born into (lucky you!).

Sound like a lot of work? Trust me. It is. I set out to do exactly that over 10 years ago - and look at how much my world view has shifted! Shouldn't you know for 100% that what you are dedicating your one and only life to is really the truth? Don't you want to know for sure that all the time and effort you're putting into your religion is the smart and right thing to do?

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Anyway. I want to say this to my friends and family but I won't because it won't help and it only causes trouble. So I'll post it here instead and hopefully someone else can use it or finds it inspirational...

You need to get your shit straight, buddy!

Everyone knows that Santa Claus doesn't ride a flying horse!

Sheesh!

The nerve of some people! Comin' in here spoutin' this bullshit...

:-) Tongue-in-cheek, brother. Tongue in cheek.

You need to get your shit straight, buddy!

Everyone knows that Santa Claus doesn't ride a flying horse!

Sheesh!

The nerve of some people! Comin' in here spoutin' this bullshit...

:-) Tongue-in-cheek, brother. Tongue in cheek.

LOL - thanks, I needed that! Sometimes I feel like I'm living in an alternate universe where everything makes sense...