Goodbye Jesus

What Kind Of God Would Condemn People To Eternal Torment? - My Rebuttal

themonkeyman

Take the idea that god is all-powerful for example. If god is all powerful, can he build a mountain so big that he cannot move it? Of course god is not all-powerful no matter which way you answer. Some theists are okay with accepting the idea that god is not all-powerful, maybe just the most powerful being there is. But this view of god is so open ended and unclearly defined that it is next to meaningless. It's also unsatisfying because it is always possible to imagine a being slightly more powerful. The next question might be, what else can god not do?

If he is all-powerful, then he, of course, would be able to design something that is so big or so powerful that he can not move it or destroy it. If this were the case, he would indeed be all-powerful before making himself less powerful than he was to begin with. However, I just can't imagine an all-powerful being doing something so stupid.

Take the idea that god is all-powerful for example. If god is all powerful, can he build a mountain so big that he cannot move it? Of course god is not all-powerful no matter which way you answer. Some theists are okay with accepting the idea that god is not all-powerful, maybe just the most powerful being there is. But this view of god is so open ended and unclearly defined that it is next to meaningless. It's also unsatisfying because it is always possible to imagine a being slightly more powerful. The next question might be, what else can god not do?

If he is all-powerful, then he, of course, would be able to design something that is so big or so powerful that he can not move it or destroy it. If this were the case, he would indeed be all-powerful before making himself less powerful than he was to begin with. However, I just can't imagine an all-powerful being doing something so stupid.

So he just can't be all-powerful at one time? In which case he still isn't all-powerful because he can't exercise all of his power at once. Even if he willfully chose to lessen his power, that would still mean the level of his power is still within his power. Sounds incoherent. As you suggested, if god chose to lessen his power, it would be completely arbitrary and meaningless to do so. In fact, if an all-powerful and all-knowing god exists, then absolutely anything and everything he does is arbitrary and thus without any real meaning and purpose. I don't see any way around it. Omnipotence is simply a logically incoherent concept and thus not possible.