Goodbye Jesus

The Suffering Of Jesus

chrisdownunder

Even as a kid, I thought this was strange, too.  I knew that some people suffered in huge ways and for a long time, even as a young child.  

I also knew that Jesus' circumstances were different than ours.  Jesus knew he was god and knew he was sent to earth to suffer and die for our sins.  He knew everything in advance, and also knew the end, that he'd be resurrected and all would be rainbows and butterflies and CHOCOLATE BUNNIES!!!  He knew his expected suffering was important and had a reason.

This is entirely different than a person who does not know or suspect that they will watch their children being tortured, raped, and murdered in front of their eyes, before their own torture, rape, and murder.  And the whole time the suffering is even greater because there is NO REASON for it, there is no GREATER GOOD.  It is just pure evil, pain, and suffering being inflicted on their children and them.

I also think the same way when preachers go on about, "Sometimes god doesn't answer your prayers because he knows that what you are asking for isn't good for you.  Like when your child wants ice cream for dinner and you tell them no, and they cry.  But you know the greater good for them, as god does for you."  Yeah, great, if we're talking about ice cream and minor disappointments (and in the above example, everyday suffering).  But how does this make sense to a parent begging god for food for their child, and getting the "no" answer, and watching the child starve to death?

I didn't understand this as a child, and I still don't understand how rational adults can rationalize this.

I am new to forums and trying to quote MerryG, but not sure how to do this, clicking button "quote"... nothing shows up in this box bf I click "post"

There seems to be some kind of glitch depending on your hardware or operating system.

... MerryG wrote that "We supposed to believe that Jesus suffered worse than any mere human in the same circumstance would have because he was so divinely sensitive and all." Yeah, I chuckle ironically at the notion that Jesus was overly sensitive. Is he fragile or something?

Don't you know that a puff of logic can kill Jesus?