Goodbye Jesus

Noah's Ark

Roz

some floods happen, great flood as dipicted in the bible or russel crowe's movie, don't think possible,,,,,

flooding the whole fucking world except 8 weirdos and animals, i think not,,,,,, ironhorse would have been drowned if he had lived in that sick imaginery era,,,,,,

Do you have a thought on the evil of men?

I do.  As far as I know, no man has ever succeeded in world wide genocide.  Your god is a lot worse than him.

Would you drown this child?  Your god did.

Childrens-drowning-deaths-decline-Q0RKVR

Your reply did not answer the question.

What are your thoughts on evil committed by men?

evil people like you, your wife (wives), parents and your children?

i don't think your parents or family deserved tobe drowned in one go despite the evils you folks has done, doing or planning to do

some floods happen, great flood as dipicted in the bible or russel crowe's movie, don't think possible,,,,,

flooding the whole fucking world except 8 weirdos and animals, i think not,,,,,, ironhorse would have been drowned if he had lived in that sick imaginery era,,,,,,

Interesting article from ABC News:

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/evidence-suggests-biblical-great-flood-noahs-time-happened/story?id=17884533

Are y'all Christians so cowardly and so fearful of hell that y'all would worship a baby-drowning god just to save your own ass?

What if that same god ordered genocide and threatened to make parents eat their own children? Would you still worship him and call him 'good' just because you're afraid of what he'll do to YOU?

And knowing damn well that ALL of this is spelled out in excruciating detail in your own goddamn bible... at what point are y'all LYING when you call this supposed god "good"?

I've got no problem with some big flood inspiring any number of flood myths including noah.  There can't be a global flood, that covers the highest mountain (Mt. Everest).  For any number of reasons.  Not to mention all the animals, God's wrath, etc.  That article proves nothing.

Interesting article from ABC News:

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/evidence-suggests-biblical-great-flood-noahs-time-happened/story?id=17884533

it may be interesting to you, but is it evidence for global flood that killed all save 8 n animals?

Are y'all Christians so cowardly and so fearful of hell that y'all would worship a baby-drowning god just to save your own ass?

What if that same god ordered genocide and threatened to make parents eat their own children? Would you still worship him and call him 'good' just because you're afraid of what he'll do to YOU?

And knowing damn well that ALL of this is spelled out in excruciating detail in your own goddamn bible... at what point are y'all LYING when you call this supposed god "good"?

Here's the question again for you:

What are your thoughts on the evil men commit?

evil people such as you, your wife (wives), parents and children?

does your family deserves to drown despite of the evils that you people have done, are doing and planning to do? i think NOT

My thoughts are that according to christian mythology, men are exactly as god created them. Including the evil we're prone to. According to the bible, god (who knew the future) created evil men... knowing that they were evil and knowing that they couldn't live up to his capricious rules. Then he blamed then for that same evil that HE created- and was so pissed off that he drowned a bunch of babies.

I mean for fuck's sake it says right there in the bible that your baby-killin god CREATES EVIL.

IOW if the bible is to be believed- were pretty much a bunch of ants in the bright sun. And your 'god' is a nasty little kid with a magnifying glass- cooking ants because he's bored.

• Like 1

for me it's an exaggeration

it was probably a local big flood that really happened and exaggerated over many mouths and generations

we know how people like to add stuff to story to make it more interesting

and based on limitation of knowledge, people thought that their area is the only one on earth, they didn't know about other contingents so if they had big flood, they rhough the whole world is covered with flood

all animal were all the native animals they knew, not all the animals in the world

Yes, exactly... It's possible that some family loaded their pets into a boat to survive some flood; but nothing on the scale of what creationists believe to be the case. It is about as likely as Paul Bunyan and the Blue Ox, or some other tall tale, or as likely as people living to be 900 years old. I think much of the OT is like this; part temple propaganda, part urban legend/tall tale/folklore.

A brief read through reveals all sorts of weird contradictions and anachronisms that are obviously the work of various editors working in their political agendas. Consider:

First Noah is told two pair of each animal; then a few verses later it's 'two pair of every unclean and 7 pair of every clean.'

Obviously the temple system won't be established for a few centuries, so it makes about as much sense as Abraham Lincoln asking for a gluten free menu item... From chipotle.. Using the Chipotle app on his iphone.

This is just one of many, many similar items that simply cannot be reconciled into one factual series of events. There are at least two versions of the same story interwoven. We also have a rather long winded rant about the cursed descendants of Ham (we have seen other cases where cursing someone's descendants (or similar plot devices involving some kind of divine disfavor) just so happens to support the authors contemporary racial prejudices: see Cain, Lots Daughters, Ishmael, Essau, pretty much everyone in Joseph's story...

Not to mention other impossibilities such as:

- No rain or rainbows before the flood

- vast quantities of water in some kind of 'divine storehouses' both above the firmament and beneath the earth (read more about ANE cosmology, which teaches that the earth is a flat island of land placed in the middle of a vast sea supported by four immovable pillars known as the 'foundations of the earth' and covered by a giant dome with the sun, moon and stars rotating around it). The flood described in Genesis is only possible in this kind of world. For fun, look up Kent Hovind's 'canopy theory' on YouTube for an alternative view that is stunningly, hilariously impossible, and obvious to anyone who passed middle school level science.

These are just a few of the many, many impossibilities in the flood story.

Men commit all sorts of evil, but should all people be condemned based on the evil of some?  Had Jeffrey Dahmer fathered a child shortly before he had been convicted, would you condemn that child to the same sentence that he had earned?  That is what your god did.  According to genesis, all of humanity (other than Noah's family) was sentenced to death by drowning, even the newborn babies.  Can you honestly tell me that a 1-day-old baby was guilty of any crime that required this sort of punishment?  There almost certainly was at least one, what crime did that baby commit?

"The evil men commit" is but a single particle of dust blown away by time.

The evil supposedly committed by the god of the Bible, including the drowning of living beings and supposedly eternal punishment for those who cannot or will not follow its rules, makes it infinitely evil.

Other than attempting to save one's own sorry hide from Hell, I can think of no reason for worshipping such a god as that.

DOUBLE STANDARD!

DOUBLE STAND ARD!!

DOUBLE STANDARD!!!

DOUBLE STANDARD!!!!

DOUBLE STANDARD!!!!!

DOUBLE STANDARD!!!!!!

Why does Ironhorse insist that his questions be answered when there's a backlog of our questions piled up in his 'In' tray?

• Like 2

Here's it is again for you, Ironhorse...

...so that you can ignore it.

PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH AND DON'T INSIST ON ANSWERS UNTIL YOU ANSWER US ... FIRST!

Here it is again, for you Ironhorse...

...only this time it's going to be duplicated into your Private Messaging Inbox.

STOP DEMANDING THAT WE ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS WHEN YOU DON'T ANSWER OURS!

• Like 1

1. did you believe it really happened or was it all metaphorical for you?

I know of a couple of cultures that have flood stories. They're all based in and around rivers that can and do flood and cause a lot of damage. Seems fair enough that this fact would have influenced or led people to believe in local floods being global.

I think it's because there's no right way to answer the question "in what context, what evil, is it just to intentionally drown a young child."

I've seen how End3 works it so that genetic predisposition makes it just to kill the children.

IH's way seems to be to ignore the question and just throw out other questions in the hopes that the question thrown at him gets buried.

• Super Moderator

Again, TinPony is asking a question and claiming that it has not been answered.  We've seen this ploy from him before.  Give your answers if you choose; but don't be surprised if he ignores them and continues asking the same question.

DOUBLE STANDARD!

DOUBLE STAND ARD!!

DOUBLE STANDARD!!!

DOUBLE STANDARD!!!!

DOUBLE STANDARD!!!!!

DOUBLE STANDARD!!!!!!

Why does Ironhorse insist that his questions be answered when there's a backlog of our questions piled up in his 'In' tray?

Because he's an arse. Oh, wait, you already know that ...

Simple questions.

Christians:

1. do you believe that this story actually happened?  Or is it a metaphor? 
  • If a metaphor, why do you believe this is a metaphor but jesus' conflicting stories in the NT are real?
  • If it really happened, do you believe that god was just in doing this?

Ex-Cs:

1. did you believe it really happened or was it all metaphorical for you?

When I was very young, I believed it really happened.  It didn't take too long for me to start questioning it.  I didn't understand "metaphor" back then.  When I got a bit older but still a kid, I figured it was metaphorical, or a myth that ancient people came up with to explain rainbows.  I wasn't 100% sure why that would be in the bible, but I was a kid, so that's the best I could do with it.

There are hundreds of myths from around the world that suggest there was a great flood.

Whether local or global depends on the story you go with.

I think all these ancient stories have origin in the flood recorded in Genesis.

I believe it happened. 

Of course you "believe" it happened.  You have to "believe" it to maintain your particular religious addiction.  Nevermind the evidence that clearly shows it never happened and could not have happened.  Yes, avoid the evidence by pretending it does not exist.

I did believe the story well into adulthood, because I never looked beyond the Goddidit explanations when I was a Christian. 

Now it's the first thing I bring up when Christians want me to believe that Biblegod is against abortion. 

I mean, those damn unborn babies back then, thinking evil all the time, you know?  What else can you do with them when you are only an Omnipotent God?  Drown their parents. That will cut off the oxygen supply in their evil little bodies! That will stop all the evil in the world!  

And as we can all see, it worked very well.    

• Like 1

IH... Why is it so important to believe it happened? I stopped believing in a literal flood years before I stopped believing period.

Why are you so convinced? Please use your own words!!

I believed it literally happened when I was a Christian. I don't see what it could possibly be a metaphor for. It's possible that there may have been some terrible flood in early human history that got retold. However, when you concider the idea that god created all the species of the earth in their present forms (as some believe), it is absurdly impossible that a boat the size specified in the bible could have held two of every species (or seven, depending on which part of the story you buy). The insects, alone, would have overwhelmed the ark. Even if you are a Christian who accepts the fact of evolution, the flood story supposedly happened a few thousand years ago. All the species of the earth 4-5000 years ago would not have fit on the ark. Even if you think it was a retelling of an event from early human history, by the time humans had advanced to the point of building things (even by the time humans came on the scene), it would still have been impossible to fit two of every species then on an ark that size. So, the story is either an extreme exaggeration of an actual event, or it's made up. Either way, it can't literally be true as told in the bible. If we can't accept that story as literally true, what else can we not take as literally true?