Goodbye Jesus

"falling Out In The Holy Spirit"

LukeExChristian

this was what i thought to be irrefutable evidence that he exists. "wow, look at those people shaking on the ground, he has to be real!"

when you start thinking of something that is supernatural... you'll start treating it as such. as discovered by some scientist/philosopher that escapes me.

i bring up this topic because i cannot find a way to fully debunk this phenomenon.

anyone have insight on this?

I've never seen or experienced anything like that, but there is the kundalini stuff in yoga. Hindus and Buddhists seem more willing to allow scientific research, so you might try browsing for explanations of kundalini?

• Super Moderator

Whenever it "happened" to me, I was usually just faking it, except for the few times I was pushed over.  Peer pressure and the desire to conform (and be accepted) are also plausible explanations.

I don't remember the name for this or I would supply a link. I read in wikipedia about a psychological phenomena first observed in Canadian loggers. One guy would do something (say clap his hands) and another guy would involuntarily begin hopping around while the others laughed at him.

Maybe somebody else knows the name for that and can supply a link. It seems related.

EDIT: I found a link. Apparently it is a rare condition, so it probably can't explain the "slain in the spirit" behavior.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_Frenchmen_of_Maine

HE must be joking

• Like 1

Love benny hinn,  Me and my m8 who is also a christian put on old videos of him putting the holy spirit on people,  Using his jacket was the funniest lol.

The last decade of my Christianity was as a charismatic. Though I saw a lot of people acting out, I never had felt any of it until we attended a large service over in Brighton, England. We had traveled to hear a particular preacher (whom I later promoted for 9 years) and in that service while we were all standing and worshiping, I felt energy start buzzing down through me and back up, like a slinky-toy that has been stretched out and twanged (you can see the energy wave zip up and down the slinky). It seemed to focus in my abdominal area, and my hands were shaking in the classic Shaker and Quaker caricature. I felt at the time that this was confirmation of what had been preached, and what I had believed all my life about the reality of god. It was thrilling and unexpected. It never happened again to that extent. I never fell down and would have punched anyone that tried to push me (faking god).

In another little house prayer meeting, I felt heat suddenly from above me, like a vent had opened up and been turned on full. But there was no such vent. I looked at a friend next to me and she was waving her hands at her face trying to cool down because she felt it also.

I don't know what to think of those experiences now. (There were also two instances of "God" speaking directly to me. One with verifiable fact about a girl who I liked who was fornicating with another guy.) On the one hand, it could be group hypnosis, because such things do "work". Perhaps there is a generic life-force (the Kundalini someone mentioned above) that I felt release. I really do not know. But I know now that it wasn't Jesus or the god of the Bible.

Derren Brown has demonstrated the technique for enducing such a state:

Its all a bunch of fakery, and overzelaous behavior on the part of the holy preachers.  Its all desperation to believe and experience something "mystical" on the part of the people who fall into these cults, people who are usually gullible or mentally ill.

I was suckered into a charismatic church, partly due to my own mental illness (bipolar).  I interpreted my wild moodswings and weird mind, to "being in the spirit."  hallucinations, delusions, anything like that.... no, it was god! ;P  Now I know it was my bipolar chemically imbalanced brain, it wasn't anything like bible-magic!

speakung in tounges, where brain activity in language center decrease and activity in emotional increase