Goodbye Jesus

Ask And You Shall Receive

chrisdownunder

You should only have to ask god once, why is this never the case?

Because a turkey sandwich falling into my hands from the sky would be to easy.

Oh heavenly turkey, be in my daily bread so that I may feast on your succulent meat.

Guest afireinside

Can somebody please get the memo to Christians in Manila to ask God for food, clearly they haven't asked even once.

• Like 1

Guest afireinside

I can understand the prayer for spending time with god/relationship thing,

I understood that kind of prayer, too; then I realized he never spoke back.
Dido!

What's she got to do with it? :)

Hahahaha Dido, forgot about her

She provides the perfect soundtrack to overdosing on Valium while you cut yourself

Has anyone here mentioned the one prayer in the Bible God refused to answer. His "I find strength in weakness" explanation for refusing to cure Paul's thorn in the flesh still makes no sense. WTF did that mean?

There are a number of religious believers who actually believe in paradoxes like this (mysticism is built on them). When your beliefs don't make sense, just make up a non-sense proverb.

• Like 1

Christian: Well, God isn't a magic vending machine!

Me: But he promised things rather specifically. (See Margee's post for verses)

Christian: He has better things in store for you.

Me: Like my nephew sliding on ice and then off a cliff? How is that better than protecting him?

Christian: But he can use that as a witness to others to win them to Christ.

Me: A witness of what? That he ignores prayers and always has "a better plan"?

Christian: His thoughts are higher than our thoughts, and his ways higher than our ways.

Me: So is he going to explain any of these higher thoughts?

Christian: Who are you to judge God?

Me: He's the one breaking his own promises. He's his own judge.

Christian: You're on dangerous ground.

Me: Really? It sounds to me like you keep making up excuses for him. He's all-powerful, all-knowing, *is* love, our heavenly father, but he's totally silent, non-communicative, doesn't honor his promises, ignores our prayers, chaos reigns, and yet he's still in control and good? BAH!

• Like 3

O my Flying Spaghetti Monster!

This thread is awesome.  I liked every single post.  Jesus, YHWH, Krishna, Buddha, Zeus, Allah, Crom etc., don't exist as has been reavealed to me by the great and holy FSM.  So you should pray to the FSM, and you will be rewarded in the afterlife with a beer volcano and a stripper factory.

Hail the FSM!

I was listening to a xian radio program the other day.  This is a fairly close word-to-word reproduction of the relevant part of the show.

The guest had had a major issue in her life that she wanted to learn to deal with.  So she explained to the host what she did to take care of her major issue:

Guest:  "I prayed a lot about it."

Host:  "Mm-hmm!"

Guest:  "I took it to prayer in church and we prayed about it in our small group."

Host:  "Yes."

Guest:  "I still didn't know what to do.  So I went to a counselor and finally learned a way to deal with it!"

Host:  "Praise god!"

Guest:  "Yes, god used the counselor to help me.  Praise god!"

Host:  "Yes!  God is good!"

Wendybanghead.gif

Answered Prayer by god:  0

Years of Education, Experience, and Skill by a Trained Counselor:  1

• Like 1

Christian: Well, God isn't a magic vending machine!

Me: But he promised things rather specifically. (See Margee's post for verses)

Christian: He has better things in store for you.

Me: Like my nephew sliding on ice and then off a cliff? How is that better than protecting him?

Christian: But he can use that as a witness to others to win them to Christ.

Me: A witness of what? That he ignores prayers and always has "a better plan"?

Christian: His thoughts are higher than our thoughts, and his ways higher than our ways.

Me: So is he going to explain any of these higher thoughts?

Christian: Who are you to judge God?

Me: He's the one breaking his own promises. He's his own judge.

Christian: You're on dangerous ground.

Me: Really? It sounds to me like you keep making up excuses for him. He's all-powerful, all-knowing, *is* love, our heavenly father, but he's totally silent, non-communicative, doesn't honor his promises, ignores our prayers, chaos reigns, and yet he's still in control and good? BAH!

Every conversation with a believer in a nutshell. Well done.

When our mutual friend was diagnosed with cancer this past December, I confided that I had been struggling with it to this friend. His answers were much as you have posted. I was agog, and asked how in the world he could think it was god's will to take a father away from his daughter, a husband from his wife? His answer was " What a great witness to faith they will be, and *friend's name* gets to be with god! He will be home with our saviour, and from heaven do wonders for them."

I asked how twisted and selfish would god have to be to prefer a child go through the death of a parent, than to heal him. I said it sure seemed like god demanded of us the things he won't even do. What kind of plan demands a little girl lose her dad - that's just sick sick sick. I asked him if he would feel the same way if god decided his 3 children should be without him, and be permanently changed, scarred and unable to trust certain things for the rest of their lives, only to be blamed for it, because hey, it's in the "plan".

If you cannot stand up to god or question him, then he is your oppressor, not your benefactor.

I heard a story some time back about a 12 year old girl in Demmark or somewhere who killed herself. She left a note for her mother that explained that she missed daddy and wanted to go to heaven to be with him.

Has anyone here mentioned the one prayer in the Bible God refused to answer. His "I find strength in weakness" explanation for refusing to cure Paul's thorn in the flesh still makes no sense. WTF did that mean?

My interpretation of this was that Paul was gay and/or had very strong feelings for younger men (two different things in Hellenistic societies of his day). I always thought that there was a strange connection between Paul and Timothy. Perhaps they had a pedaristic relationship? Ever notice how Paul always seemed to have a cadre of young male followers and servants everywhere he went? Here he was, preaching about marriage and temptation and the holy relationship between man and woman and Christ and blah blah blah...yet he wasn't married and never spoke of women or even a single woman in a way that would have indicated that womankind was anywhere on his radar...

That was to be the model for the Catholic and Christian priesthood for centuries to come. Still is today, at least for Catholics and certain branches of Christianity. Single men and women taking vows to marry God. Look how many persons of both sexes have been taken advantage of over the years. In olden times, convents were usually whorehouses for the priests and pilgrims; many young men were castrated and kept as eunuch pets for the head father or the local lord of the land.

Anyway...getting off subject here....

If Paul's prayer went unanswered and unresolved, then what hope have our prayers got? None. Prayer is spiritual masturbation. It gets you excited, makes you feel better and it fades rather quickly as you come to your senses. Most believers do it several times a day and/or at appointed times. There are rituals involved and the Bible instructs us to pray behind closed doors, away from others, don't make a show....hmm, sounds rather like masturbation. Only exhibitions do it in the open and in fact, public masturbation is a crime in much of the world.

---------

I heard a story some time back about a 12 year old girl in Demmark or somewhere who killed herself. She left a note for her mother that explained that she missed daddy and wanted to go to heaven to be with him.

I saw a news segment on this story. It was very...sobering. Just last week I was watching a program on ABC where a boy (he looked to be about 10-11) had developed PTSD as the result of his father's suicide. The family was fairly religious and the pastor had given a sermon that had led the boy to believe that his father was going to come back to earth soon. The boy fantasized about this and had became very upset when his prayers for his father's return had went unanswered for over 2 years. Eventually, the boy developed PTSD himself and had the beginnings of an eating disorder, all because the mother and the pastor kept telling him to pray, read the Bible, the second coming is real, etc.

It was very sad and I almost cried. I went off about this topic on another forum and got flagged. A nice message from an anonymous mod told me that I was not allowed to make inflammatory remarks against Christianity or certain teachings thereof on said forum. "It upsets those who believe, etc." Although anony-mod did say that he agreed with me and my sentiments, the post had been flagged too many times to remain as is.

Bottom Line: Ask and you shall receive is bullshit.

You should only have to ask god once, why is this never the case?

Because a turkey sandwich falling into my hands from the sky would be to easy.

Still waiting on that sandwich...