Goodbye Jesus

If You Could Go Back And Meet Your Christian Self...

CC91UK

...how do you think they would react if you told them you are no longer a Christian? Would they even have believed you?

I wasn't a very devout Christian, so I think my past self would have been surprised but not angry. They would have been particularly surprised that I have gone from Christian to theist to agnostic to atheist in less than 4 years.

i know i would have been suprised.i lived in fear of gud all those years and could never imagine why anyone would deconvert having known 'the truth' lol

Oh, I would have been shocked. It's a place I never, ever saw myself going.

• Super Moderator

I guess it would depend on where I would be in my christian struggle journey as to how receptive I would be to my future self.

• Like 1

I would tell myself bet big against any triple crown contender. Oh, and your "run like hell from religion at first chance" instinct is correct.

Welcome to Ex-C, Human.

If I met myself at the height of my madness, I would say nothing.  Otherwise, I would violate my own current thoughts about the importance of letting people find their own way.

If my mad self were to ask about my current beliefs, I would say "You already know which way you will go.  It'll just take you time to admit it".

And my mad self would ignore me.

Just thought - is talking to myself a sign of madness...???

It would largely depend on what point I was at during my rodeo with religion. If I was at the highest point of it, back when things were at least ok with the church I was visiting, then no, I probably wouldn't wanna hear it. On the other hand, if things were starting to turn to shit, then more than likely, I wouldn't be surprised to see that I'd gone back to where I started out at. Though looking back, I think I knew deep down that this was what it would come to eventually. 

I would have been surprised, really surprised.

If I could go back and meet my Christian self, the Christian self would say that I'm going to Hell and that he'll make sure he doesn't end up like me.

• Like 1

Wouldn't believe it. But really, I wasn't a strong Christian for very long, so I also don't think I'd be angry just very, very confused. My christian self would wonder how on earth could I have lost faith. 

Something like this could've been really bad for a lot of us, for sure.

Seriously now -- how many of us would've donned our heavenly armor and dove ever more aggressively into the religion after a visit like that?

A lot of us probably wouldn't have made it out!