Goodbye Jesus

Ugh! Holy Crap! (Batman)

Chez130

Difficult one to call. Usually in The UK, no one even dares mentioning their faith, for fear of being laughed at, but of course I can imagine its more complicated in some southern states. No easy answer for you (sorry)

Hey Chez,  I was having a discussion with a guy in the chat room about keeping kids out of religion, and he recommended watching some videos on youtube by a guy named Dale McGowan.  You should check out some of his stuff.  I think you might find some of his advice really helpful especially as it concerns raising kids in today's society.  I have a nine year old daughter, and I often have to deal with the same issues.  Its tough, but I'm sure you'll find the answer that works best for your situation.  Btw, I also live in a heavily Christianized part of the Bible belt.  Believe me when I tell you that I don't take your location for granted at all.  People in the Bible belt can and will try to destroy you if they think that your worldview is anything less than reputable by their standards.  I sincerely feel for you, and I wish you all the best.

Encourage them to read a variety of literature and always question things and value their own conclusions about religion and philosophy. Not just accept doctrine out of fear. Their mom being a non-believer will have a huge impact on how they think in their adult years. If their mom doesnt impress some ridiculous importance on the teachings of Christianity they wont consider it that important themselves, even though they may be going to a Christian school.

I have to tread carefully in that respect. I will absolutely tell them what I think when asked, but my husband might not like it too much. It's a touchy subject right now.

Difficult one to call. Usually in The UK, no one even dares mentioning their faith, for fear of being laughed at, but of course I can imagine its more complicated in some southern states. No easy answer for you (sorry)

Thank you! There are some parts of the US that don't take religion as seriously. I'm afraid the South is a long way from there.

Hey Chez, I was having a discussion with a guy in the chat room about keeping kids out of religion, and he recommended watching some videos on youtube by a guy named Dale McGowan. You should check out some of his stuff. I think you might find some of his advice really helpful especially as it concerns raising kids in today's society. I have a nine year old daughter, and I often have to deal with the same issues. Its tough, but I'm sure you'll find the answer that works best for your situation. Btw, I also live in a heavily Christianized part of the Bible belt. Believe me when I tell you that I don't take your location for granted at all. People in the Bible belt can and will try to destroy you if they think that your worldview is anything less than reputable by their standards. I sincerely feel for you, and I wish you all the best.

Thank you so much for the suggestion. I will look him up on YouTube. I'm glad to find another person who understands my situation. Very nice to meet you!

24 hour stomach bugs very often come in handy.

Should not have to lie to cover the fact your don't agree with someone else's views on religion and child raising.

• Super Moderator

Should not have to lie to cover the fact your don't agree with someone else's views on religion and child raising.

It's a Southern thing.  Here, sometimes a white lie is less complicated than the truth.

• Super Moderator

It's a Southern thing.  Here, sometimes a white lie is less complicated than the truth.

So true!  Bless their hearts.   GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

meh. They can accept that for their lives if they want, but I doubt you speak for southerners as a group and I have met many that were truly honest people who would not do this.

I won't be living like this and can choose to just say nothing rather than lie.

I've met a lot of great people in theory but many more terrible people in practice.

Sometimes a person has to do what they've got to do to get by.

mwc