Does Anyone Here Have A Family Member That Plays Christian Music All Day Long?

Reptillian

I have a mother who plays Christian music all day long because she is so strongly convicted at the idea that the god of Christianity exists. I find it irritating at times, but since she's not going to listen, the only way to deal with it is to get used to the Christian music and think of it as a background sound as that's how I get around the issue. The rest of my family isn't so overtly religious. 

My wife enjoys listening to KLOVE all the time. I wouldn't call it obsessive and she is not pushy about playing it around me. Even when I was a Christian, I rarely listened to Christian radio. I just don't care for a lot of Christian music, especially in the current formats. Its too bland for me. 

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Occasionally, my wife will turn the radio to the jesus channel.  It doesn't annoy me so much; it's just so damn cheesy.  Once she's done I'll go through a purge cycle with some Lamb of God or Pantera.

• Like 2

We occasionally visit relatives on a Sunday who will have this stuff playing in the background.  The nearest we get to it in my own house is my wife's tapes of Christmas carols at the appropriate season - I can live with that.  Especially when the Pogues are doing Fairy Tale in New York.  "Merry Christmas your arse..."

I think, if such music became an issue, I'd insist on playing highlights from Wagner's Ring Cycle very very loudly...

My folks are usually playing gospel concerts on DVD whenever I come over.  Seems like they watch it all the time.

I have a mother who plays Christian music all day long because she is so strongly convicted at the idea that the god of Christianity exists. I find it irritating at times, but since she's not going to listen, the only way to deal with it is to get used to the Christian music and think of it as a background sound as that's how I get around the issue. The rest of my family isn't so overtly religious. 

Get earbuds.

If one is strongly convicted of something's existence then why would that person need to constantly reinforce that idea? :-)

• Like 2

My wife enjoys listening to KLOVE all the time. I wouldn't call it obsessive and she is not pushy about playing it around me. Even when I was a Christian, I rarely listened to Christian radio. I just don't care for a lot of Christian music, especially in the current formats. Its too bland for me. 

As an Xian I listened to a little Xian music but not much. Secular radio stations played better stuff.

• Like 2

Perhaps on this one I'm a little strange.

As a Christian, the Christian music used to really bug me. Preferred me some alternative, or Pink Floyd. Now, the Wife doesn't play it often, or plays it on Her Pandora. But if I hear it, it doesn't bother me anymore. Through quite a few years it would, and for many of those years, I really didn't know why. I don't mean just finding a lot of it vapid. I mean it bothered me on the cognitive dissonant level. But especially when i went from embryo to fetus as a deconverting, it really started to be difficult for me.

One way I started to realize I wasn't a Christian anymore was, I no longer had the cognitive dissonance surrounding it. I wouldn't put it on myself, but if She's listening to it, it doesn't bother me.

Fox News? That would be a whole different issue.

As to Christmas music, I have always liked it, and didn't even see it as that religious even as a Christian. The last few churches we have attended never did much Christmas music. And some pentecostals don't even acknowledge Handel's Messiah as a Christian work. I have the Christopher Hogwood / St. Martin In the Fields / Vienna Boys' Choir version of that, done on period instruments. It's nice.

But I don't hear Christian music anymore all the time, like we did when living in FL.

Christian television would be aggravating, probably, if I bothered to listen. But, even as a Christian I didn't agree with a lot of it. Last time She had it on, they had one of the few apologists I can say I'd like to punch in the face: Dinesh D'Souza. Totally misrepresents humanism, claims those of us who are atheist are only atheist so we can have an affair. He goes so far as to say it's atheism in our sex organs. ... and then we find out he has had himself a mistress ... nuff said.

The time before that, they were talking about Hell. I dreamed about Hell that night. Got asked by that preacher on the show if that was where I was going.

But, She rarely watches it, and if She does, it's to get into the spirit of things.

I just do something else when it's on, if it's on. Which it hasn't been for many months now.

The music is not too big a deal. Though, it might be if someone was also shoving it in my face, trying to get me to buy it, stuff like that.

My inlaws do, and not anything decent, the corny sappy stuff that makes you want to barf. When I was growing up, my mom would play a bible verse CD a lot, and I can still sing the dang verses to this day!

my dad does, likes listening to gospel junk all the time. gawd that music is so bad, even worse it glorifies one of the most horrible atrocious fictional characters. More despicable than even voldemort, or delores umbridge. Hell even voldemort, and umbridge look like playful kittens compared to the sadistic asshole known as the buybull/koran "god".

• Like 1

I should say, that hymn "Trust and Obey" gives me a stomachache. It's what some people on the Internet call triggers.

It's that pseudo-sweet major-key sing-song sound, set to authoritarian beatings, poop shoved int the face, worthlessness, suicidal thoughts, etc. etc.

There are probably others like it, but I only remember that one because in 2005 we were in a small group, and the hostess wanted to put it on because it was 'so beautiful'. Put me off my food and the Better Half asked what was the matter. Only in that environment, I could of course not say so. And I wasn't even ready then.

- Christianity: The death cult that is sugar and spice, and all that's nice ... as a veneer

• Like 1

My mom used to play christian songs quite often. I was still a christian back then and I loved it. lol. I'm so glad she got over that stage. :P My friends on the other hand. . . .zDuivel2.gif  

When she was alive my granda used to.  She'd listen to the local news or xian radio (music...no televangelist types for her).  She had and played the organ so she'd sit and play hymns.  Her voice wasn't all that great but that didn't stop her from belting them out too.  This went on pretty much from the time she woke until she went back to sleep, day in, day out.

mwc

My parents want to play their evangelical christian music all the time in the house, but we are not allowed to play our music at all.  The last time I had the radio on, the radio went missing.  They really feel non-christian music is evil and if they let it be played in their house, their house won't be protected.  I am confined to listening to music in my car, or at bars or stores.  So, I can relate.

A-mum whenever we're in the car.  It makes me want to leap out.  It depresses the shit out of me.  I've heard a lot of non-religious music that was profound.  It is profound because it is not afraid to explore the depths of human emotion and experience.  But Christian music is pathetic because it is afraid to venture outside the bounds of what it considers acceptable.  Certain emotions, feelings and events are not allowed.  There are a lot of good songs involving lust, killing, jealousy, rage & sex.  Bible is chock full of all those things but Christians don't read their Bible anyway.  Christian songs are so limited in scope and so afraid of any honest expression of emotion that they turn out hollow.  Today's selection was something about "breathing in grace and breathing out praise."  Whatever that might mean.  The next selection was so painful to the ears even A-mum turned it off.   Even god can't listen to that stuff. 

Does anyone else remember the Christian rock fallacies of the 1980s? It went something like this:

- Don't listen to rock music, you will be polluted by the words creeping into your mind!

- That Christian rock can't possibly do God glory, or you any good. After all, who can understand the words?

I do remember getting my face slapped for calling that thinking the science of convenience. Actually, maybe I deserved a slap for insulting science by even entering that noble discipline into such a logically fallacious discussion.

And later, after 'coming back to the Lord' in the 90s, I was to find out how much Xian music had exploded. The Wife had asked for a specific set of CDs for Christmas. I went on Amazon and after purchasing, looked under the "Customers also bought ..." and found quite literally thousands of Xian titles / artists / albums. I later learned the industry is huge.

So, something happened between the unscience of convenience discussions of the mid / late 80s, and the time when I started taking it all seriously again in the late 90s ...

Ah, the spectacular twists and turns in the lands of make-believe.

Oh and the protection bit? I didn't know about this, had thought maybe the Wife had left the radio on by accident a couple times. But She used to do just that during a difficult time. Left it on real low so none of us would be disturbed sleeping.

I guess that premise is in part based on the now-debunked subliminal messages fallacies started in the 1950s? Something like the hypnopaedia of Brave New World?

* shakes hed in bemusement about this whole damn situation *

Does anyone else remember the Christian rock fallacies of the 1980s? It went something like this:

- Don't listen to rock music, you will be polluted by the words creeping into your mind!

- That Christian rock can't possibly do God glory, or you any good. After all, who can understand the words?

I do remember getting my face slapped for calling that thinking the science of convenience. Actually, maybe I deserved a slap for insulting science by even entering that noble discipline into such a logically fallacious discussion.

And later, after 'coming back to the Lord' in the 90s, I was to find out how much Xian music had exploded. The Wife had asked for a specific set of CDs for Christmas. I went on Amazon and after purchasing, looked under the "Customers also bought ..." and found quite literally thousands of Xian titles / artists / albums. I later learned the industry is huge.

So, something happened between the unscience of convenience discussions of the mid / late 80s, and the time when I started taking it all seriously again in the late 90s ...

Ah, the spectacular twists and turns in the lands of make-believe.

Oh and the protection bit? I didn't know about this, had thought maybe the Wife had left the radio on by accident a couple times. But She used to do just that during a difficult time. Left it on real low so none of us would be disturbed sleeping.

I guess that premise is in part based on the now-debunked subliminal messages fallacies started in the 1950s? Something like the hypnopaedia of Brave New World?

* shakes hed in bemusement about this whole damn situation *

Someone figured out a certain combination of major key, sappy lyrics, and vague references to Jayzus made soccer moms happy and a huge amount of money was to be made. 

Even when I played for the "worship team" at a large-ish church I hated the music. I was really into death metal at the time and so as a guitarist I was always trying to sneak in little riffs and shit. Probably didn't amuse anyone else but it made it more fun for me. Now I just play and listen to whatever I want. It is wonderful. There is so much great music available to us.

I knew people who played it all the time as it kept demons away AND "got into their spirits" which made them more godly!

fortunately I don't know any christians now.gud christian muzac was so shite.

Most christian music I have ever listened to is hella cheesy. Which is strange, considering that christians are supposed to have a two way conduit to the most uncheesy being in the universe.

Something does not add up.

• Like 1