Goodbye Jesus

Ex-Muslim Website

Ravenstar

Not sure if this fits here in this forum, but I was on this site and I found it enlightening. We have a lot in common.

http://www.councilofexmuslims.com

There is a forum area… it's fascinating.  :)

• Like 2

Ravenstar, I'm just beginning to browse the "5 strongest arguments against the Quran" thread.

http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=17132.0

Some excerpts:

"Don't know if I ever talked to you before, but I read your discussions with the other members on freewill and the Quran being vague or not. Let me tell you what's going on here. You are picking and choosing which interpretation fits your morality and what you believe is true, and all the other interpretations just got it wrong. This is what Prince means by mental gymnastics."

-hmmm, so the members of another monotheistic religion ALSO picks and chooses which interpretations fit their morality... you don't say 

"You think that the Quran is a message produced by the creator of the universe, and you believe you are part of small fraction of humanity called Quranists, who understand the creator of the universe's message. 

You believe most of humanity - including muslims - fail to comprehend it, but you are amongst the minority that is able to understand the message from the creator of the universe.

You think you are part of an 'elite'.

You think you are special."

-I'm thinking of at least 5 different christians in our own lions' den who think like this, just substitute a few proper nouns 

Just what I was thinking"

In the forums there was this exchange:  (emphasis mine)

Did you go to Mecca after you became a disbeliever?

No,  but I pretended to be a Muslim for many months before I came out to my parents, (praying at the mosque every evening, going to Islamic talks occasionally, and in Ramadhan 2008, I fasted, prayed Taraweeh and payed Zakat as a closed atheist).

The thing that struck me most (and it's nothing new) is the sheer lack of questioning in Islam.  Everyone just conforms blindly (for survival, I guess!).  I saw (orthodox) Islam as a cult that can only survive under certain conditions, i.e. isolation from outside influence, both real life influence and via the internet, TV, newspapers, magazines, books etc.

Religion also takes advantage of various cognitive biases that we humans are prone to, and I was thinking about these too.

It was interesting how many parallels there were to conversations on this forum.

However, one of the topics that was really sobering was a discussion about whether to wear the hijab after deconverting.  One of the posters advised the other that they might want to keep wearing it if their family was prone to "honor killings".  Makes our deconversations seem like a cake walk in comparision.

• Like 5

I'm not surprised that there's a lot of similarities between us and them. Both are destructive and toxic religions, all cut from the same cloth regardless of flavor within them. 

I read yesterday that conversion from Islam to another religion is punishable by death in Somalia.  Also, a Muslim woman cannot marry a non-Muslim man, although a Muslim man can take a non-Muslim wife.

I really need to have Thumbelina meet this 'Debunker' guy in the ex-m website.  They would make the best couple, but I fear for their kids.

Yeah, they definitely seem to skate on a lot thinner ice if they deconvert that's for sure. Such a shame.

Thank you for posting this here!  It's enlightening, to say the least.  It's all so sad, isn't it, what religion (I'm including xianity here too) does?  So constrictive of people, so mean.

The people who started and operate that site are more brave than any of us ever had to be.  My hats of to them. 

Agreed. I'm glad there is a place for former or questioning Muslims can go to get support.

Not yet.. just discovered it today. I don't want to offend unintentionally… need to get a feel for them first.

Seems to me some of them are as raw and frightened as the timidest of our newcomers… but it's a good idea BO to let them know we are here I think, at some point.

BO, Raven, I'll join in support of secular solidarity.  It's true BO, these guys had to face physical harm and death coming out as apostates.  Bravo for them.

BO, Raven, I'll join in support of secular solidarity. It's true BO, these guys had to face physical harm and death coming out as apostates. Bravo for them.

Just a thought. You may want to contact their administration of that site first out of respect so there is nobody rubbed the wrong way.

Noted BO, thanks

Love it! The mental gymnastics, cognitive dissonance, reasons for reconversion...it all sounds way too similar :) Us and them have a lot in common. We should reach out and start a formal friendship relationship! We are kindred spirits with them :)

We have many similarities, but one difference between us and our ex-Muslim brethren is that we don't have to worry about being killed for our apostasy.  You have to grab peoples attention, like Pat Condell or Jessica Ahlquist to even get an empty death threat.

Before I read the Koran, it occurred to me to sign up on an ex-Muslim site as a guest outsider and kindred spirit (i.e., an ex-Christian), say hello, extend my greetings, and I had in mind to start a thread on English translations of the Koran.

I think it's quite likely that it was this very site, although it may also have been another.

I filled out the registration, but never got a response.  I don't remember all I had to fill in--it wasn't remarkable enough for me to remember, but I may have indicated I was not an ex-Muslim or something on the form, and since I wasn't really one of them, I wasn't worried enough about it to try to follow up.

It does make me wonder what safety precautions they might have to take that we don't have to worry about.  When I think about how sick things are here, especially in the bible belt, I need only think of our ex-Muslim counterparts to be reminded that things could be much, much worse.

• Like 1