Goodbye Jesus

A Small God?

Castiel233

He cares what we eat

He cares what we wear

He cares who we marry

He cares what we think about

He wants constant praise

He makes demands, with the sure and certain knowledge we cannot fathom them.

Demands the death penalty for extremely trivial reasons (picking up sticks on the Sabbath). Demands the death penalty for make believe crimes.

Shouldn't we hope for more from the creator of the universe?  

• Like 1

Hope all you wish.  Fiction is your oyster.

• Like 2

Guest afireinside

He doesn't CARE-he obsesses

He only "cared" about the deeds of the Israelites and neighbouring nations, he wasn't aware of Asia, Europe, Australia etc. Where was the moral code and enforcement of morality to these places?

The Bible is a snippet of philosophy from a middle eastern tribe-just ignore it and it will go away

• Like 2

He cares what we eat

He cares what we wear

He cares who we marry

He cares what we think about

He wants constant praise

He makes demands, with the sure and certain knowledge we cannot fathom them.

Demands the death penalty for extremely trivial reasons (picking up sticks on the Sabbath). Demands the death penalty for make believe crimes.

Shouldn't we hope for more from the creator of the universe?  

micro managing is bad, m'kay?

• Like 1

I think the least he could have done was to make potatoe chips and ice-cream that didn't contain any calories. As a matter of fact, if I was god, I would make all junk food to be healthy for you!! yellow.gif

Dumb, stupid god..... woohoo.gif

I think the least he could have done was to make potatoe chips and ice-cream that didn't contain any calories. As a matter of fact, if I was god, I would make all junk food to be healthy for you!! yellow.gif

Why couldn't you have been the creator of the universe?

• Like 2

Why couldn't you have been the creator of the universe?

I second that, fun food is so fattening 

He's probably a pre-pubescent trying to be all grown up. Can't get his temper or libido in check.

Yahweh suffers from Small God Syndrome.

The title of this thread reminds me of the book "Your God is Too Small" by J.B. Phillips.  I read it about 15 years ago when I was trying to be a liberal Christian. I agreed with the premise of the book but it did not ultimately convince me to remain Christian.

• Super Moderator

Any god who is small enough to be understood or explained by one person with one book is too small to save you.

• Like 2

Not only does God appear small and very local both in the OT & NT, He seems to fare even worse, when we consider the size of the observable universe. 

• Like 1

Yes, the creator of all that ever was, is and will be seems very particular about which nerve endings are an appropriate way to orgasm, which sorts of proteins we ingest and even how much sleep we get. Oh, and if you're a woman, getting chopped up and sent to Various men's doorsteps, or you and all your children dying to teach your husband Job a lesson on gratitude is no big deal - he gets to replace all of you with even more - yay!

Ah the Book of Job, worrying stuff indeed!!

The topic title immediately reminded me of a Carl Sagan quote:

How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, “This is better that we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant”? Instead they say, “No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.” —Pale Blue Dot, as quoted by Richard Dawkins

Actually, that sounds better with Dawkins’ voice than with Sagan’s.

He's probably a pre-pubescent trying to be all grown up. Can't get his temper or libido in check.

“The Great Spirit is a child?” —Little Bear, Lynne Reid Banks, The Indian in the Cupboard

(Disclaimer: I quoted that from memory, as I no longer have access to the book.)