Goodbye Jesus

An Experiment

Dianka

Ok, here's how to do it on the housekeeper's salary...

1.) Collect a tablespoon of saliva or a few drops of blood

2.) Add a little shampoo, about 2 ounces - most other detergents will work too

3.) Add table salt until a cloudy precipitate forms

4.) Strain the precipitate through a coffee filter

5.) Add four parts of vodka, and put it in the freezer

In about an hour the DNA will become visable, it looks like white silk.

*This experiment is from Dean Hamer's book The God Gene

That's it....that's what's growing in my freezer.....thank you Dr. Dianka.

Fascinating.... Anyone got pics?

ooooh, I'm going to have to keep this as an idea for science fairs.

Taph

I haven't tried it yet, but I'll snap a few pics when I get aroung to doing it.

I think the whole slobbering into a tablespoon thing is keeping me from running off and doing it. Oh, and I don't have vodka at the moment.

It's relative to whatever you're doing ie. if you got, say, 1 ounce of mixture, add 4 ounces of vodka.

But anyways, are you really sure this is dna you are seeing? I'm not sure what the shampoo is for (it sure doesn't dissolve the cell's membranes) but the salt would cause them to dehydrate and contract. As for vodka, well I just did a bit of research and at 40% it probably destroys the cell's membranes, spreading their contents (you) in the mixture. I'm not sure how dna would 'grow', I know every cell carries a 2m long strand but it's too thin to be seen so it must conglomerate in some way. Maybe that's what the soap is for. I gotta try this, now if I could only find some vodka...

Ok...I did it. here are the results:

malebrain5sh.gif

Ok, here's how to do it on the housekeeper's salary...

1.) Collect a tablespoon of saliva or a few drops of blood

2.) Add a little shampoo, about 2 ounces - most other detergents will work too

3.) Add table salt until a cloudy precipitate forms

4.) Strain the precipitate through a coffee filter

5.) Add four parts of vodka, and put it in the freezer

In about an hour the DNA will become visable, it looks like white silk.

*This experiment is from Dean Hamer's book The God Gene

Sounds like a Salty DNA Martini...

Ok...I did it. here are the results:

Awe Crap!!!

Now that I saw it the second time, I figured out what was going on in that gif

• 2 weeks later...

This really works.

Semen would also be a good source of DNA for those of you who want to avoid getting blood. It also has more cells per unit volume than either saliva or blood (the red blood cells in blood don't contain DNA, but the white blood cells do).

The shampoo works as a detergent. This dissolves the membranes of whatever cells happen to be in your sample. In the laboratory we use sodium dodecyl sulfate in an alkaline aqueous solution. Everything gets dissolved- lipids, protein, and DNA. Adding salt is a common way to precipitate out protein. In the laboratory we use potassium acetate in an acidic aqueous solution (basically sea salt in vinegar). You don't really have to worry about acids and bases if you're doing this at home- we just do it to get a cleaner product. Once the protein is precipitated, you need to remove it, and that's where the coffee filter comes in. I actually use something very similar to a coffee filter in the laboratory to do this, although I also use a centrifuge (this is just part of making things cleaner). With the protein removed, all you're left with is dissolved DNA. DNA stays dissolved very easily in water, but not very well in ethanol. That's why adding vodka (probably the easiest pure source of ethanol you can buy retail) causes the DNA to precipitate out of solution. Genomic DNA is pretty long once it's all unwound, and it tends to become one long tangled mess, which is why it looks like a mass of wispy threads.

A fun science experiment to do at home.

• 2 weeks later...

The shampoo works as a detergent. This dissolves the membranes of whatever cells happen to be in your sample. In the laboratory we use sodium dodecyl sulfate in an alkaline aqueous solution. Everything gets dissolved- lipids, protein, and DNA.

So that's why it burns like hell when it gets in contact with tissue. :D

Thanks for the details! I have only basics in biochemestry so the whole process seemed a bit weird to me but now it's much clearer. I'll definitively try it in the near future when I'll have some vodka. I only have Porto for now, but I don't think I'd be able to see the strands very easily through it. :S Plus I'd hate to waste such a good drink! :eek:

This really works.

Semen would also be a good source of DNA for those of you who want to avoid getting blood. It also has more cells per unit volume than either saliva or blood (the red blood cells in blood don't contain DNA, but the white blood cells do).

The shampoo works as a detergent. This dissolves the membranes of whatever cells happen to be in your sample. In the laboratory we use sodium dodecyl sulfate in an alkaline aqueous solution. Everything gets dissolved- lipids, protein, and DNA. Adding salt is a common way to precipitate out protein. In the laboratory we use potassium acetate in an acidic aqueous solution (basically sea salt in vinegar). You don't really have to worry about acids and bases if you're doing this at home- we just do it to get a cleaner product. Once the protein is precipitated, you need to remove it, and that's where the coffee filter comes in. I actually use something very similar to a coffee filter in the laboratory to do this, although I also use a centrifuge (this is just part of making things cleaner). With the protein removed, all you're left with is dissolved DNA. DNA stays dissolved very easily in water, but not very well in ethanol. That's why adding vodka (probably the easiest pure source of ethanol you can buy retail) causes the DNA to precipitate out of solution. Genomic DNA is pretty long once it's all unwound, and it tends to become one long tangled mess, which is why it looks like a mass of wispy threads.

Especially if you use semen for your sample! :HaHa::jerkoff::HaHa:

Alright, I just tried it! I actually found some Sake so I saved my precious Porto. :grin: I'm not sure if it worked, I didn't cool it down because the sake was already really cold and the precipitate was almost already formed (I poured a lot of salt in there). The thing is it what I observed may have been the mucus-like substance produced by the glands after the prostate (yes, I used semen :wicked: ) because there was a good quantity of it, much more than the quantity of adn possible. So I'll have to try it with saliva or blood (preferably) to check again if I get similar results. I'll try to use vodka which has a much higher percentage of alcohol than sake. That's pretty much it, a very interesting experiment nonetheless. :)

This gives teenage boys the perfect answer when their mom asks them what they're doing in the bedroom with the door locked - "Science project" :wicked:

This gives teenage boys the perfect answer when their mom asks them what they're doing in the bedroom with the door locked - "Science project" :wicked:

Hmmm... maybe that's why my son did so many science projects, yet couldn't handle engineering school. Damn - I hope he doesn't lurk on this forum :Doh:

No ... he never was a Xian. I was already backsliding when we raised our two kids (as my fundy brother has pointed out on occasion). Too bad they are both successful.

Semen would also be a good source of DNA for those of you who want to avoid getting blood.
Shit... Don't have to tell me twice.

*fap* *fap* *fap* *fap*

Damn straight!

Semen would also be a good source of DNA for those of you who want to avoid getting blood.

*fap* *fap* *fap* *fap*

C'mon, Neil! Do you really crank it so vigorously that it sounds like that? :scratch:

:HaHa:

*fap* *fap* *fap* *fap*

C'mon, Neil! Do you really crank it so vigorously that it sounds like that? :scratch:

:lmao: and surely more than four times! :HaHa:

*fap* *fap* *fap* *fap*

:lmao: and surely more than four times! :HaHa:
I don't know. If you're crankin' on it that damn hard, four times if probably plenty. :phew:

Btw, Neil was in here when I asked that question. He didn't say anything so, either he is embarassed, or he's off doing an "experiment". :HaHa:

You people have turned my beautiful experiment into a joke about touching thyself :nono:

STOP MAKING JESUS CRY!!! :angry:

Btw, Neil was in here when I asked that question. He didn't say anything so, either he is embarassed, or he's off doing an "experiment". :HaHa:
Tests were inconclusive. I had to repeat the procedure. And then I had to take a nap.

yeah, you'll have to use a high-alcohol content liquor like vodka (151 may work better), and I think I remember using isopropanol at one point for this (rubbing alcohol) though it has been a long time since I last spooled DNA. (we also had a slightly different version of how to do this, used one powerful protease and detergent solution to extract from tissue...) It looks pretty cool, though, when you do it.

I may have to try this version myself...*walks off*