Goodbye Jesus

The Goodness Of God

Castiel233

Technically, children are created by sperm and eggs colliding and forming a fetus, but Christians see procreation as supernatural. Still, the justifications for Biblical violence are often baseless speculation. I guess (this is assuming God isn't made up) the "The 70,000 people God killed in a plague to punish David for a census were not really killed to punish David for taking the census, but to punish people who were going to do something so evil that something had to be done." has a TINY chance of being true. I find the idea of 70,000 people being this evil unlikely because the number is so high, and textual evidence heavily suggests that the author meant that God was scapegoating. I do admit there is a 1X10^-10000000% chance that this is right. Because I'm not omniscient and have a tiny sliver of doubt, I am not allowed to "judge" (read have a negative opinion of) God. Why would God send me to hell for hating him if the evidence looks bad for him? Why not tell the story of what really happen and say "I lied about killing for a despicable motivation. I had a good reason for lying about my motives, honest."

If you assume this particular God is made up, then what questions would you have?

I have no questions because I know it's most likely bunk, but a moral argument against God seems to work stronger than a scientific/historical argument when it comes to appealing to emotions. In theory, the horror of the killed children should turn someone against Christianity more than contradictions, bullshit science and history, and more. I've learned that Christians can defend the horrors of the Bible anyway, so I think it's hopeless to expect them to be unbrainwashed at this point. Neither approach does anything.

I have no questions because I know it's most likely bunk, but a moral argument against God seems to work stronger than a scientific/historical argument when it comes to appealing to emotions. In theory, the horror of the killed children should turn someone against Christianity more than contradictions, bullshit science and history, and more. I've learned that Christians can defend the horrors of the Bible anyway, so I think it's hopeless to expect them to be unbrainwashed at this point. Neither approach does anything.

Thanks for the explanation of a difference between intellectual and emotional thinking/feeling.  Nevertheless, I often find it interesting to see if a theist can assume, merely for the sake of discussion, that their chosen sky fairies do not exist.  Most can't and simply are unable to "pretend", even for a moment, that what they believe isn't true.  Of course, when that happens, the only thing left is to see if they can understand that they are unable to do so and to plant of question in their mind, "Why not?"