Goodbye Jesus

Rant On "militant" Christians

Tezia

I am still emotionally reeling from the awful experience I had with my mother this morning. So, for the umpteenth time, my emotionally disturbed mother had been trying to get to me. I found out myself that the sole purpose of her arguing is to get a reaction out of me, which hasn't happened thus far. But even then, I also have just come to realize that she is just an emotional leech. 

Anyhow, my main point that I want to talk about is militant relatives. I am not talking about groups like the Westboro Baptist church, but sometimes, you just have people that take Christianity to the extremes. The ironic thing is that while these people may have good intentions in their mind, often, they turn about to be hypocritical and end up isolating themselves, which has happened with my mother thus far. I find it really sad that these people get so militantly religious to the point they end up isolating themselves. But then again, this goes to show that sometimes common sense is thrown out the more religiously inclined someone becomes. 

Now on a side note I wanted to add that I am still relatively young and a bit poor, so I have to live with my mom. But I am working on getting out. Of course, I won't tell her either.

So, this morning, my mother up and said, "We're going to Church" because "we needed some Jesus." Yes, she actually said that in those exact words. And she had said that often in our little conversation. Then she continued to grow more furious when I kept insisting that I won't go to church. 

I am also beginning to think that the "Good Christian" type is both a stereotype and a myth. From looking at many Youtube videos and reading account of other atheists with militant christian parents, I am coming to believe that there is something about Christianity that makes people militant, especially to anything they could consider opposition (i.e. Gays, Lesbians, Atheists, non-Christians). And when we look back at history, Christianity has been used to Justify Slavery, women's oppression, fueling the inquisition, the Salem witchcraft trials and I could go on but I think the point has been made clear. And today you also have accounts of parents disowning their atheist kids. 

Considering all this, it seems like some amount of religiosity makes a person sour. There might be a few good Christians who aren't this gruesome, but more often than not, I am either coming across or hearing accounts of these militant, hypocritical Christians. I think these accounts go to show that Christians really aren't better than anybody else. Sometimes, they are worse than you'd expect. 

Ultimately, if this is what Christianity is likely to do to you, then I am comfortable remaining an atheist and unreligious. Only downside is that of courseI have to deal with Christians like my mother, and perhaps, those just as worse, if not more so, than her. 

• Like 1

Its a cult.... A GIGANTIC cult.  Once a cult gets that big, it gets VERY MILITANT.  Christian Crusades, Islamic Jihad, genocide, mass murder, etc.   The Abrahamic religions are war machines.

• Like 4

Militant xians are very scary.  The liberal "Jesus is love" ones aren't as openly scary, but are so sheeplike as to be hideous/pathetic/blind in their own right.

Keep working on getting out of the house!  It will be well worth it!  You will love it.

• Like 1

Sorry you are going through this but glad you have a powerful mind of your own!

The liberal "Jesus is love" ones aren't as openly scary, but are so sheeplike as to be hideous/pathetic/blind in their own right.

o yes, the 'liberal' christians.  I was one of those once.crucified.gif

...but they still secretly want to convert everybody in the entire planet...so still militant, just covert about it, like ninjas.ph34r.png

• Like 2

I have the disown you militant Christian parents. That's been fun. I hope you are able to leave soon. I understand how rough it can be.

I get you on the nagging, and the fact that you mentioned hypocrisy.  I had a friend whose husband nagged me and everyone else to go to church every time we came over, knowing we were not interested.  Blah blah blah Jesus Jesus Jesus all the time.  Meanwhile he beat his wife and sold pot for a living.  Yet he had the balls to act indignant when we didn't go to church.

In my opinion the militant ones who nag and nag are actually into it for their own glory, moreso than spreading "The Good News".  Everybody look at me, they say.  Look what I say and not what I do.  I may be going off on a tangent here since I don't know your family that well, but just wanted to throw in my two cents.

Yup. It kinda is a cult. She also became verbally abusive when I declined to go to church. Kept insulting me and everything. She does have a documented illness but it is clear the religion is only making it worse. A few times she has threatened to boot me. But, one day I will take her at her word and leave her. Then disown her. I am actually looking at a few options. One, and the one I am likely to do, is by staying in state but going to another city, preferably a large one with a good bus system since I cannot afford a car, and transfer colleges. I am aware that I will incur debt, but I literally have no other choice. I feel my energy getting sapped every time she does this. She has somehow already guessed I am an atheist, and I confessed that I didn't believe in any god. I will eventually pay off my loans, perhaps even find certain wealthy benefactors by way of certain sites.

I also get the feeling she likes to us we religion as a means of control. And even if I gave in just to appease her, I would be living a lie not to mention I would be doing my religion wrong in her eyes. As with the liberal Christians, some of them seem loopy. How sane does it sound for a grown person to give goodness and rely on a being that doesn't exist? It is the grown up version of believing in Santa?

And that example given by my last poster is horrible. My mum is and has been abusive too. My mum is something of a narcissist so that could also explain this horrible behavior.

I hope you can find your way out soon. Maybe get to another state.

I remember being invasive way beyond what a normal person would think was ok, because the church kept telling me that "The answer to the question, "Am I my brother's keeper" is yes!" So they taught us to question other people in the church, to check up on them to make sure they were toeing the line. So much regret about that now, but back then it seemed correct given the scriptures. Of course, these same scriptures give the example of "every man take a sword and kill his brother", which is where the goal of holiness leads, obedience or death. And all for a god that isn't even real. Glad I'm out.

• Super Moderator

I can relate.  My mom has isolated herself from almost everyone who's ever cared about her.  It has more to do with her manipulative personality than religion; but adding christianity to the mix only makes matters worse.  I actually decided three days after my son was born that I needed to move him away from her and raise him with as little of her influence as possible.  The sad thing is: she doesn't even realize the extent of the damage she has done or the number of people she has driven away.  Hang in there, Tezia; you'll be on your own soon.

• Like 1

The liberal "Jesus is love" ones aren't as openly scary, but are so sheeplike as to be hideous/pathetic/blind in their own right.

o yes, the 'liberal' christians.  I was one of those once.crucified.gif

...but they still secretly want to convert everybody in the entire planet...so still militant, just covert about it, like ninjas.ph34r.png

Yes, I went to one of these liberal sorts of churches. There were militant types there, but most were sheeple who baa'd along with the pastoral staff and a few of the old timers who ran everything. The sad thing was I think that a good portion of the people there had serious doubts and valid questions, but they were always glazed over whenever they came up. The more vocal types were always talking about the "roots of the faith" and how we should follow the example of Jesus called Yeshua. They liked pervert science by sprinkling it around their arguments to keep the more logically inclined pacified so we wouldn't make scenes. Or at least that's what I took from it.

Bottom line, everyone NEEDS Jesus. We all NEED to be freed from our sins. Blah blah. I say that sin is an imaginary condition invented by those in charge to keep the sheep in line. No one needs Jesus.

Life is hard, it sucks and then you die. But in between now and death, let's live instead of bowing down to an invisible stalker Christ who may or may not be holding a gun to our heads, eh?

Did anyone bother to tell these christians,

Don't run with bibles!

Thanks guys. And thanks for the responses :)

All churches, all religions, have their zealots.  The line between zealotry and lunatic fringe (if it exists) is a fine one.

This will poison your life if you don't get away from it.  All the best