Goodbye Jesus

Upsetting God

Castiel233

I am sure I am not the first to mention this, but how come you  say "Jesus Christ" in prayer its all good, say it out loud if you stub your toe on the coffee table and its bad.

The words are the same, but the content is not.....and it upsets God why exactly?

• Super Moderator

That's a good goddamn question.

• Like 1

Guest Marty

The whole "do not take the lard's name in vain" commandment is the source, but I believe it is misunderstood in the modern world.

In judaism, the actual name of god is über sacred, and was only allowed to be spoken by the high priest once a year in the holy of holies.  This is why they have 50+ names for one god (so they say).  We think this name was Yahweh, but it is hard to tell for sure, as ancient Hebrew used no vowels.

The commandment to not use gods name in vain, at the time, had nothing to do with yelling god dammit!  if you hit your thumb with a hammer, but using any of gods names to swear on false witness testimony in court, or simply saying his actual name outside of the temple on that one specific day.

I have a feeling my memory of this is a little faded, so perhaps some of the details are not 100% accurate.  But this is the jist of it I believe...

You also aren't supposed to say Lord Voldemort's name. I just realized this the other day and my head almost exploded.

Doesn't knowing someone's name give you power over them? Jesus demands that the demons identity themselves. Jacob wrestles with the angel rather than giving up his name. It is an ancient superstition based on magical thinking. An awesome plot device but not exactly on the same level as ethically as not killing or stealing!

You are not supposed to say, "jesus christ" when you stub your toe.  You are supposed to say, "God Damn it! Jesus Fucking Christ!  My toe hurts!"

People get bent out of shape when you say those words, they're just superstious wankers.

• Like 1

goddamit you not supposed to say the lards name in fucking vain, jesus tap dancing christ, you're supposed to show some goddamn respect for the goddamn lard. jesus h christ! *wipes ass with buybull page and tosses in collection plate*

It's just another way of making folks feel guilty so they go to church. bill