Goodbye Jesus

Is The Bible Actually Useful?

chrisdownunder

A few months ago I was thinking of the bibles content and if it actually has any useful information. Information that could be applied to normal day to day life, I couldn't think of anything.

I thought, why doesn't the bible contain healthy recipes or how to grow your own vegetables. I thought, why doesn't the bible contain remedies for healing the wounded and the sick. I thought why doesn't the bible contain instruction on how to build tools or construct houses.

In fact it's a useless book altogether.

Please post what you think a useful book about life should contain.

It has a lot of poetry in it. It is the most quoted book in existence. There are many aphorisms in the

bible, like: "Do not cast pearls before swine". I like that one in particular. It is so true.I agree that the bible does not have any overall theme or message. But there is a lot of wisdom scattered throughout.

bill

I like parts of proverbs and ecclesiastes.

There are many books just in the last century alone that are far more profound though. You'd think a book inspired by the almighty would have some profundity.

Yes but not for teaching or discipline or any of that stuff. I also love Ecclesiastes and some of Proverbs.

Any proverbs developed in the context of a culture that is patriarchal, tribalistic, homophobic, and unequal will be tainted with those evils.  I don't find much that is interesting or useful from the Biblical proverbs or parables.

• Like 3

How useful is the Illiad or Gilgamesh or Shakespeare? Some things are just inherently interesting to some people.

They are all windows into our history, etc.

• Like 2

The Bible is useful in the following ways:

• paperweight
  • doorstop
  • kindling for starting a fire
  • rolling papers for the truly desperate smoker
  • toilet paper
  • a covert storage device when hollowed out and otherwise modified
  • to prop up a troublesome table or chair
  • as a weapon if nothing else is available

As a work of literature, I'd say that the Wisdom books are decent examples of poetry and song, and of the prowess of the English language depending upon the translation used. I would exclude "Songs" here because I view that as erotic literature...which may or may not be useful to all. Revelation is a good example of horror. The Epistles are an example of arguments (however, not good ones) and the Gospels are examples of fanciful mythology laden with some historical content.

Are you really missing out by NOT reading the Bible? I'd say no. If I had children, I wouldn't teach them about the Bible unless they wanted to learn it. As an adult, I find it boring and would rather read science fiction for entertainment, the works of ancient Romans for examples of argument and reason, and authors who write about their chosen subjects with passion and skill for all other reasons.

• Like 5

• paperweight
  • doorstop
  • toilet paper

As a work of literature, I'd say that the Wisdom books are decent examples of poetry and song, and of the prowess of the English language depending upon the translation used. I would exclude "Songs" here because I view that as erotic literature...which may or may not be useful to all. Revelation is a good example of horror. The Epistles are an example of arguments (however, not good ones) and the Gospels are examples of fanciful mythology laden with some historical content.

Are you really missing out by NOT reading the Bible? I'd say no. If I had children, I wouldn't teach them about the Bible unless they wanted to learn it. As an adult, I find it boring and would rather read science fiction for entertainment, the works of ancient Romans for examples of argument and reason, and authors who write about their chosen subjects with passion and skill for all other reasons.

From the creepypasta survival guide:

Always have a Bible next to your bed. Provides average reading material, proof of beliefs and a really heavy & effective object to throw at enemies.

http://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/Survival_Guide

It's good for disproving xtianity's bullshit, and wiping your ass.

• Like 1

Indeed the Bible is what opened my eyes to the fact that Christianity is a farce.

• Like 1

Indeed the Bible is what opened my eyes to the fact that Christianity is a farce.

For me, re-reading it after I was fed up with xtianity is what galvanized me against xtianity

There are many books just in the last century alone that are far more profound though. You'd think a book inspired by the almighty would have some profundity.

Yes, Ecclesiastes is nice, primary because it's Greek philosophy. As far as that goes, Aristotle completely blows the Bible out of the water, and Epicurus had lots of great ideas, too. 

• Like 1

I used one once to jack up my old Buick's engine and replace a broken motor mount.

• Like 2

I agree with Blood.  The bible ain't got nothing on the Greek literature.  The Greeks contributed a hell of a lot more to the world in the areas of science, philosophy, medicine, music, art, architecture, athletics, basically everything.

the hebrews gave us a stupid book,endless war, and penis cutting. JoyLynouch.gif

Any proverbs developed in the context of a culture that is patriarchal, tribalistic, homophobic, and unequal will be tainted with those evils.  I don't find much that is interesting or useful from the Biblical proverbs or parables.

that seems rather broad brushed. What about verses like:

"The first to plead his case seems right, Until another comes and examines him."

Or passages like:

All things are wearisome,    more than one can say.The eye never has enough of seeing,    nor the ear its fill of hearing.9 What has been will be again,    what has been done will be done again;    there is nothing new under the sun.10 Is there anything of which one can say,    “Look! This is something new”?It was here already, long ago;    it was here before our time.11 No one remembers the former generations,    and even those yet to comewill not be remembered    by those who follow them.

And:

18 I also said to myself, “As for humans, God tests them so that they may see that they are like the animals. 19 Surely the fate of human beings is like that of the animals; the same fate awaits them both: As one dies, so dies the other. All have the same breath[c]; humans have no advantage over animals. Everything is meaningless. 20 All go to the same place; all come from dust, and to dust all return. 21 Who knows if the human spirit rises upward and if the spirit of the animal goes down into the earth?”22 So I saw that there is nothing better for a person than to enjoy their work, because that is their lot. For who can bring them to see what will happen after them?

Moreover, do you also reject plato and aristotle? They too come from paternalistic , dated culture.

• Like 1

Yes, Ecclesiastes is nice, primary because it's Greek philosophy. As far as that goes, Aristotle completely blows the Bible out of the water, and Epicurus had lots of great ideas, too.

it wasn't my intention to argue it surpasses works of its day, rather that it's not all garbage, there are some interesting and useful passages.

I used one once to jack up my old Buick's engine and replace a broken motor mount.

hmmmm, never thought of that before.

I was living in a shitty apartment at the time. Had no place to work on my car except the parking lot... and I couldn't even find a piece of board to put between the jack and the oil pan. But the Word of God did the trick for me.

• Super Moderator

I was living in a shitty apartment at the time. Had no place to work on my car except the parking lot... and I couldn't even find a piece of board to put between the jack and the oil pan. But the Word of God did the trick for me.

What an uplifting story.

Inventive, and some people say the buybull is worthless

I wouldn't use the bible for toilet paper (Too harsh on my bottom)

I wouldn't use the bible for rolling cigarettes or joints (No adhesive to keep the paper rolled up)

I wouldn't use the bible for a table or chair leg fixer (If one side of the leg is that short you're best to saw the other three to size)

Nah, I wouldn't use the bible for any of those things.

• paperweight
  • doorstop
  • toilet paper

Also works real good for smashing spiders.

I don't smash spiders, but pick them up carefully and bring them outside and let them go.  Compare this to Yahweh's Modus Operandi:  "The cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death."  Revelation 21:8.

A few months ago I was thinking of the bibles content and if it actually has any useful information. Information that could be applied to normal day to day life, I couldn't think of anything.

I thought, why doesn't the bible contain healthy recipes or how to grow your own vegetables. I thought, why doesn't the bible contain remedies for healing the wounded and the sick. I thought why doesn't the bible contain instruction on how to build tools or construct houses.

In fact it's a useless book altogether.

Please post what you think a useful book about life should contain.

The bible is quite useful, actually. I used it and another book to lift my laptop up an inch or so for better ventilation.

You can use the big ones to press leaves a flowers. Or use the pages for kindling...