Goodbye Jesus

Is The Bible Actually Useful?

chrisdownunder

A few months ago I was thinking of the bibles content and if it actually has any useful information. Information that could be applied to normal day to day life, I couldn't think of anything.

I thought, why doesn't the bible contain healthy recipes or how to grow your own vegetables. I thought, why doesn't the bible contain remedies for healing the wounded and the sick. I thought why doesn't the bible contain instruction on how to build tools or construct houses.

Oh dear, oh dear.  I highlighted the part of your post that sounds like WITCHCRAFT.  I am afraid that is against the Rules of Bible Writing, not to mention xianity, and you will be burned at the stake. 

Unfortunately, sensible and useful information is lacking in the bible.  If it were actually the word of god, one would think it would include useful information on health and safety and hygiene, and proper irrigation techniques.  It's not a really useful text at all.

BUT if you were a middle-aged, single woman who had over the years learned some good techniques for improving health and safety and hygiene, in the not-so-distant past the good elders of the church would have indeed targeted you as a witch.

I wouldn't use the bible for toilet paper (Too harsh on my bottom)

I wouldn't use the bible for rolling cigarettes or joints (No adhesive to keep the paper rolled up)

I wouldn't use the bible for a table or chair leg fixer (If one side of the leg is that short you're best to saw the other three to size)

Nah, I wouldn't use the bible for any of those things.

A friend of mine actually smoked up the bible he was given for confirmation gift. He said that as far as flavor goes, it's the best paper he's ever rolled cigarettes from.

It's always useful to understand how other people think and why they believe the things they do.

It's interesting to see how people try to twist a historical account into something they can weaponize in modern culture.

The Bible has a lot of similarities to the Code of Hammurabi. I believe that it shares a few myths with the Epic of Gilgamesh (which also has a flood story, IIRC). I don't know that I'd classify those as "useful" or "useless" exactly. I find it interesting that no one gets really upset about Shamash (one of Hammurabi's gods), calling him a tyrant or the worst serial killer ever, even though he shares with Jehovah a liking for really harsh punishments and having his people go to war. If people no longer believed in the Bible as any kind of absolute truth, the Mosaic code would be similarly admired by secular people as one of the first full records of a complex system of laws.