Goodbye Jesus

Oh The Irony...

Ellinas

Wasn't sure where to post this as there is no forum board entitled "Had a damn good snigger over this one..."

Today I received and leafed through the latest copy of "Assembly Testimony" magazine.  I noticed an article proclaiming - in usual fashion - the nearness of Christ's return evidenced by the increasing decadence and evil all around, and how this points to the immediacy of the end of this age of the world and coming judgement.

Then I reached the end of the article, and the words:

"Reprinted from "The Bible Expositor", Oct 1952.  If relevant then, how much more now?"

I assume that this will be re-published every 50 years or so ad infinitum, just to convince believers of how immediate is the prospect of their lord's return...

Oh the stupidity of it all when even the reprinting of such an article after so long doesn't ring an alarm bell.

• Like 6

You're obviously not filled with the Spirit. If you were, then you would've realized that it was a 1952 prophecy of 2014!

The immediacy of Christ's return has been a Christian theme from day one, starting with Jesus saying that there were those in that generation who would witness his return. For 2000 years it's been,"...any moment now...yep....any moment....(cricket, cricket)....oooo a war! See....any moment now."

• Like 2

Yeah, they were saying the EXACT same thing back in Paul's days.  The christians ALWAYS say, "it is the end times, look at all the evil in the world, He is coming soon!" 

Ahem, its been two thousand years dudes, zombie-jesus ain't coming back. crucified.gif 1) he is dead, like really dead.  2) he is mostly a fictional legend like Thor or Robin Hood.

• Like 1

Then I reached the end of the article, and the words:

"Reprinted from "The Bible Expositor", Oct 1952.  If relevant then, how much more now?"

That is hilarious 

The immediacy of Christ's return has been a Christian theme from day one, starting with Jesus saying that there were those in that generation who would witness his return. For 2000 years it's been,"...any moment now...yep....any moment....(cricket, cricket)....oooo a war! See....any moment now."

Yes, but this time he is really , really, really , really on His way........(repeat every 100 years or so)

• Super Moderator

We had a believer on this site several months back who started a thread in The Lion's Den where he would come by sporadically and post news articles of various calamities happening in the world with the intent of making us all see that jesus really was coming back any minute.  It was hilarious; but also quite pathetic in a way.  I miss that believer; he was a real fungi.

We had a believer on this site several months back who started a thread in The Lion's Den where he would come by sporadically and post news articles of various calamities happening in the world with the intent of making us all see that jesus really was coming back any minute.  It was hilarious; but also quite pathetic in a way.  I miss that believer; he was a real fungi.

You missed the best one. Years ago we had some character try to reconvert us by telling us jesus has appeared in the frost on his kitchen window. After prodding, he posted pics. Subsequently, he stormed off the site telling us we were going to he'll for making fun of frosty jesus.

• Like 1

Some Chinese guy has been paying for full-page ads in the NY Times proclaiming that Jesus has already returned in a, I think, white cloud in China and is about to manifest himself to the world.

Some Chinese guy has been paying for full-page ads in the NY Times proclaiming that Jesus has already returned in a, I think, white cloud in China and is about to manifest himself to the world.

Uh, oh. You know what happened last time Jesus went to China? The Taiping Rebellion, that's what. Carnage, on an insane scale. And, long story short, that's just one more factor in why China's overwhelmingly non-Christian. The More You Know...

I think it's rich, how people try to "spread the Good Word" without regards to cultural or historical context. If people aren't receptive, or treat your message like it's poison, maybe there's a very good reason. Oh, well. I seriously think that people ignore, or remain ignorant of the context, specifically because the beliefs regarding prostheletism teach people that the context doesn't matter, and that the message will speak for itself. I think it does speak, it just doesn't say what Christians assume it does... namely that ignorance is OK, even encouraged.

• Super Moderator

You missed the best one. Years ago we had some character try to reconvert us by telling us jesus has appeared in the frost on his kitchen window. After prodding, he posted pics. Subsequently, he stormed off the site telling us we were going to he'll for making fun of frosty jesus.

I wonder where that guy's jesus went when the springtime thaw came around?

I'm sure jesus showed up in the flower garden.

If He is taking the time to appear in windows and gardens, the least you guys could do is devote your entire lives to Him

• Like 1

I wonder where that guy's jesus went when the springtime thaw came around?

Presumably he had to await the following winter for his next resurrection.