Goodbye Jesus

What A Load Off

savemefromgod

Born and raised Catholic, and when I lost Jesus, wow.   No religious person can understand how it feels to give it up after years and years, and feel like the weight of the world is off your shoulders.  Nobody watching you 24/7, nobody going to send you to hell even though you're basically a good person.  Let other people believe what they will, it does not affect you and therefore does not sap out your energy worrying about it.  You have nothing to prove.  Live life normally and be a good person, without being beaten over the head with threats.  It's a beautiful thing.

How did I lose Jesus?  Well, I went out into the real world and opened my own eyes eventually.  I came to realize that if God is indeed in control of everything, then he is certainly not worshiping.  Fearing, maybe, but not worshiping as if you love him.   At all times think of everything you say or do, because God is watching.  Guard your thoughts (which you can't, of course, at all times) because God is watching, and will punish you for thoughts which come naturally even if they are just passing. I mean, if God was a human being, would you even like him?  He is only worshiped by people who are afraid of making him feel he isn't loved!  What a terrible way to live which I know all to well!

I tell you in all honesty the good things I do for others now are done out of a pure desire to do good, and a logical compulsion to help humanity, and not for my own future reward, or out of fear of punishment.  And the good things I do today are more meaningful than the good things I did as a Christian.  I know of few Christians who will do anything that they can't brag about in church, and even exaggerate what they did, only to further their own glory.  It's one of many thing that attracts people to Christianity, and makes it so addictive:  to feel special, to feel superior, to feel like the creator of all worlds has a special eye set right on you (even though he would send you to hell in a heartbeat).  I'm sure this is the same for people of other religious faiths as well, in whatever form.

Atheism: don't knock it 'till you've tried it.  It's the easiest way to lose weight.

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

Welcome to the forums and congrats on deconversion.

Welcome to ExC, savemefromgod. I enjoyed reading the OP. Freedom is wonderful, isn't it?

Glad you're here and look forward to reading more of your posts.

Welcome saveme. I loved what you said here "if God was a human being, would you even like him?" I'm glad you're free from the vice. I always felt like I was a Sims character, with god as that little diamond thing hanging over my head, always watching, seeing, recording my faults. Now I'm at the reigns. OK,  I have no idea how to drive this life yet, but I'm a beginner. Welcome to ExC and thanks for sharing.

Welcome! I "lost Jesus" recently as well. Its been the best thing ever.

• Like 1

Welcome.

Congratulations on finding freedom from the stranglehold of Christian conformity - the more I think about the way Christian so-called "morality" imprisons people in their own self-imposed scruples, the more I come to despise that system.

Welcome! Losing Jesus to gain reality is wonderful feeling.

It is nice not having that invisible imaginery being lurking around watching and listening to you all the time, isn't it?

Welcome! 

Welcome! I am glad you are feeling lighter. It is a great feeling. :)

I hate how being christian means literally hating the world you live in and wanting it to end. It is evil.

• Like 1

He is only worshiped by people who are afraid of making him feel he isn't loved!  What a terrible way to live which I know all to well!

I couldn't have said it better myself.  It really doesn't make any logical sense to view God this way, but people do.  We beat ourselves up to appease a deity that demands the impossible.  What else can I say?  It really doesn't make any sense...

• Like 1

Sit back and put your feet up for a bit. I remember my deconversion was exhausting as hell. You're no longer burdened by those stuffy rules and the concepts that don't make sense (looking at you Trinity). You've got a whole new world to explore now. This is only the beginning.

Wow, that was a fun read. Right on! I can't even pick out a sentence or two that I would highlight, because everything you said resonates so perfectly with me. What a great assessment. I feel lighter now, too. Thanks!