Goodbye Jesus

Coming Out On Facebook And Odd Feelings :)

moanareina

Yesterday I shared on facebook that I was thankful for God to lead me out of Christianity and letting me become an agnostic atheist so I could see more truth than ever...and enjoy science and all the wonders of this planet and beyond.

It was weird to do this because even though I put my religious status to agnostic I never really told anyone straight out and also the word atheist was somehow still too intimidating to use for myself. But it felt good and I got lots of positive responses. Only one person made a comment that left an odd feeling with me...(he often makes comments that leave me with an odd feeling but I know he means well and is supporting me morally and also materially like I can use adobe creative suit through his company which is a big deal since those programs are fucking expensive...) as I thought about how to respond to it I noticed that someone liked his comment...and seeing who it was just confirmed my odd feeling. It was the most fundie person I still am in contact with (on facebook only though) and just two days ago took off the list of people who only see parts of my profile...I am glad there have been so many leaving a nice and supportive comment with no hidden hints in them.

And now those who care know...I guess this was my coming out as an atheist :D

• Super Moderator

Congrats.  That is a major step taken.  It took a lot of courage and strength.

• Like 1

Good to hear. Rock on, moanareina!

WOW. good for you.  I am not on facebook because I hate it, and plus I don't want people to know all my private details.  People are very judgmental, and if I came out about my atheism on facebook, I know people that would look at me very unfavorably, inlcuding my boss...so I don't.

slightly off topic:

My boss prays to Jesus every month at our company meeting, and while everyone else closes their eyes and bows their head, I just look around and snicker to myself at the stupidity of it.

My boss always says,"thank you Jesus for blessing our company! (with large amounts of money...while letting millions of innocent children die of horrible painful deaths.)"  It is absolutely egotistical insanity to pray like that. Wendybanghead.gif

• Like 1

That's good that agnostic atheism is working for you. Incidentally I say almost the exact same thing as you ("I was thankful for God to lead me out of Christianity"). So it's nice to hear that from somebody else. I don't think I'm as far along as you are in the deconversion though.

Ah pawn, I can understand why people are not on facebook and I don't blame you. I spent way too much time on my computer...but then again at the moment I need that kind of network. I have 'collected' friends from all over the world and many from the US. Some I have never met in person, I know them from forums like this one and it has been helpful to be in touch with them. It is hard because I don't have friends I see regularly. I have tons of people I know and see maybe twice a year or so. But not really anyone who is close to me. I wondered why that is and I came to the conclusion that I subconsciously don't let people get too close with me because I am afraid of rejection. However I am fortunate to live in an atheistic country where religion is a niche product so to speak. So even when having Christians on my facebook list they have no influence on my job or anything. When I left Church, only two people ONCE sent me a text and asked how I was doing and if they would see me sometime soon. As I told them I would be happy to meet up but if they expected to see me at Church this would not happen there was empty silence. People back from that time adding me on facebook don't even know I am not going anymore...and this is quite some years now. Some have deleted me from their lists probably because they thought I was posting weird stuff...The reason I am not deleting them is, that I think maybe one or the other might realize what crazy shit he is entangled in. Maybe that's stupid, but for now I am ok with it.

directionless

Well, it took me almost seven years...I don't know how long you are out of the club but I say everyone walks in his own pace. So I walk quite slow but I walk steady. It is in my personality to do so. When I decided to leave Church I knew there was no way back. But I had to live for 30 years and spend much of my life in that damaging system, going into the extremes before I was able to see it for what it was. And when I left Church I never thought I would end up atheist. That just happened as I was looking for the truth. I think this is the irony of Christianity. Like we always used to say that those who honestly and really seek God will find him...and so I did honestly and with all my knowledge and strength seek God and now here I am...atheist. And whatever comes from here I still am just seeking truth. If it leads me to a God again...be it so. But I never want to believe in imaginary friends or call psychological experiences the holy spirit etc again.

Thank you all for the support.

• Like 1

I glad it went so well. I have been thinking about doing the same myself but as I'm very new to the whole deconversion thing figured I should wait a bit. I'm not a person who likes to wait.though. when I learn something or make a decision I like to share it. Right.now! Lol

Unfortunately i don't think mine would go so well. The majority ofmy friends are either family (all fundies) or friends from.various churches I have attended over the years. So while its been a 3-4 year process for me to be fully deconverted and now an atheist I don't have very many non Christian friends on my fb.

• Like 1

I have become so accustomed to hearing horror stories when atheists come out that I am always pleased to hear stories like your where there was some positive response. Congrats.

• Like 1

I applaud your courage.

I made a snarky nontheistic comment on Facebook a month ago, and while I didn't really mind the responses, my Wife is also on Facebook and took it personally. Not directed at Her. But was a reminder to me how personal many Christians take it if someone even offends the god of the philosophers.

Personally, I use Twitter for my atheistic comments these days, since no former churchgoing friends or coworkers who are Christians are on there. I live in a pretty atheist-tolerant area, but my company is stationed in a very atheist-unfriendly area and I telecommute. And a lot of times, people are pressured to react against us, to prove their mettle by 'taking a stand'.

Again, I applaud your courage. I think we all need a venue like that, something besides this site (as wonderful as it is). It's good to be out of the echo chamber and interacting with those of different persuasions from us, when we're ready. Most people don't know what deconversion is like. Most don't know the challenges, so this site are awesome for that.

But I find Twitter to be a good place to be out as an atheist, because people on Twitter aren't necessarily your friends and coworkers like on Facebook. And in my experience, anyway, people can get really nasty really fast on Facebook.