Goodbye Jesus

Magick

zuker12

Any people here practiced magick/occultism? What are your experiences with it? Any neat experiences? Has it helped you develop your will/person?

I'm intrigued by magick, but I don't know how much it really has an effect on anything except your own mind. I currently view it as a way to develop your own self, that is I only view high magick as effective. Has anyone had any mystical experiences with magick or has it been simply the kind where you gain an altered state of consciousness and feel good and bold as if you had done self-hypnosis?

After deconverting, I visited a rock shop with my wife, and bought a handful of books by Dugan and Penczak that looked interesting. I still haven't read them, but I like them on my shelf.

The most beneficial response I had was in a self-Reiki session (I'm level 2). After weeks of feeling miserable (lack of sleep, nasty boss at work, low morale, sitting all day), I took time and did a self-session for about 30 minutes, head to foot. Felt awful going to bed. Next morning I still felt like shit when I got up and didn't want to go in to work. But about 15 minutes later, I noticed that I felt really really really good. Lots of energy, good attitude, and it lasted for a few weeks wearing down gradually. That was probably the biggest reaction I've had in that realm. The skeptic in me says, "Did that really have anything to do with Reiki?" But I don't know anything else that changed around me, so I figure it is at least possible.

Personally, I take the view that magic (I refuse to use the conceit of an additional "k") is primarily a method of self-transformation.  It is, in that sense, the use of ritual to access elements of one's own psyche, to achieve some desired result (which, in practical matters, will translate into an increased willingness or self motivation to achieve a desired end).

I've never really used this as I take the view that it does nothing that I cannot achieve by simply reaching my own determination of what I want and how I will manage it.  Ritual (more or less formal) may be of use to some but is never a necessity.

In short, it is a method to change your own outlook; changing how you see something can be surprisingly effective in effecting actual changes.  But, in the end, there's no point in, for example, conducting a ritual to get a job if you make no applications.  It may, however, increase your confidence in interview.

Reiki works.. don't know how or why. Can't explain it.

I have practiced several forms of magick. Magick works.. but it is a HUGE explanation why and how. Personal development is the main core of it, as stated above.

I've never really used this as I take the view that it does nothing that I cannot achieve by simply reaching my own determination of what I want and how I will manage it.  Ritual (more or less formal) may be of use to some but is never a necessity.

If you're that strong willed, that's great. I'm not. And often times the reason I'm not is that there are a lot of concerns that I need to work through first that I'm not even conscious of. So I think magic could be a great tool for internalizing a decision you've made. I tend to just use meditation for that, and I guess some form of intra-personal therapy (getting the voices in my head, even the quiet ones, to come out and have their say). But I have considered using ritual to help me go through with some decisions that I keep chickening out on and to break some deeply ingrained bad habits.

I'm interested in wicca and witchcraft. I did cast a few magic spells, and most worked. I also would like to say, that the law of three is true! 

I've been interested in Theistic Satanism/Left-hand path and also shamanism for quite some time. In a way I'm not sure if I believe in the rituals, but many people seem to be convinced they are real. It does require stuff like meditation to aid it which I should be doing anyways (I'm just too butt-lazy to actually make it a real regimen :D )

Black Magic seems to be the thing, because it focuses on self-development. Not the kind where you curse others but where you work to develop your consciousness, like in Setianism and other forms of Theistic Satanism. I really don't know what spells work and what won't and I have a somewhat hard time believing in spells that change the weather and summon spirits, even if I have a very convoluted worldview in a god damn confusing world. I believe in deities and spirits, but magick is still something of a mystery to me, even if I've spent hours upon hours of reading about magick.

Oh I use magick with a 'k' because as Aleister Crowley explained it, the distinction between magic and magick is the other is simple parlor tricks and the other is the "real" deal. :P

I've been interested in Theistic Satanism/Left-hand path and also shamanism for quite some time. In a way I'm not sure if I believe in the rituals, but many people seem to be convinced they are real. It does require stuff like meditation to aid it which I should be doing anyways (I'm just too butt-lazy to actually make it a real regimen biggrin.png )

Black Magic seems to be the thing, because it focuses on self-development. Not the kind where you curse others but where you work to develop your consciousness, like in Setianism and other forms of Theistic Satanism. I really don't know what spells work and what won't and I have a somewhat hard time believing in spells that change the weather and summon spirits, even if I have a very convoluted worldview in a god damn confusing world. I believe in deities and spirits, but magick is still something of a mystery to me, even if I've spent hours upon hours of reading about magick.

Oh I use magick with a 'k' because as Aleister Crowley explained it, the distinction between magic and magick is the other is simple parlor tricks and the other is the "real" deal. tongue.png

Regarding the "K" - yes, I know and no criticism implied.  I view Crowley as roughly equal parts genius, madman and charlatan, and suspect it's as dangerous to dismiss him as it is to swallow his ideas whole.  Personally I see little distinction between the "parlour tricks" and the "real deal" - to my mind both seek to manipulate our perception of reality; the distinction is in the purpose (entertainment as against a manipulation of reality itself via our subjective appreciation of it).

I would be careful of the concept of "black" magic.  The term is too emotive for my liking - and whilst I don't share the standard "light = good, dark = bad" outlook, I would be careful of terms that might be interpreted that way.

I've read through LaVey's Satanic Rituals.   I have to say I found them a touch overdramatic - but then, I tend to a fairly minimalist outlook on ritual.  I suppose, if you are attracted to this idea, you can only attempt the rather empirical approach of Chaos Magicians - try it and see.  But take care not to over-reach yourself.  There is the danger of accessing areas of your psyche that are rather uncomfortable places to visit.  That, I suspect, was the secret of Crowley's genius (or madness).  He was such a b*st*rd he could cope with it.

Vacuumflux - the ritual is only a way of projecting your will.  I found that realizing that was a big step towards ditching the need for it.

Ravenstar - a huge subject indeed.  I was asked to define magic on another forum years ago.  This is what I came up with:

1. The process by which thought is made tangible and given effect (if I recall aright, this is based on a quote of Crowley)
  2. The answer to a vibration on a strand of reality's web (basically, the idea that all is interconnected; effecting one action has consequences)
  3. The resonance of the human psyche within the unseen order (similar to 2, but with the emphasis on psychological consequences)
  4. The cry of that which is wild in the human heart (by which I meant to indicate that the "power" of magic comes from the passions, beliefs and desires rather than the logical - the latter informing the direction only of what is attempted)

Make of that what you will.  It's a purely personal view, and doesn't describe the mechanics as such.

For a verbal description that seems pretty close.  biggrin.png  I like it.

LaVey and Crowley were both showmen… though Crowley studied Ceremonial Magick a la Hermeticism. I agree with the minimalism.. I rarely do ritual anymore, as the basics are a part of who I am now… I don't need the trappings, so to say. BUT the trappings.. like a psychic circle for protection and focus are quite important early on.

There is no 'White' or 'Black' magic… except in intent. The old adage, "be careful what you wish for" is very true in magick. Becoming very stable psychologically and emotionally is essential when practicing… as is knowing oneself VERY well, because as you say.. it can take you places which are… uncomfortable is one way to put it.  Psychic mirrors abound and they can sometimes be frightening. Negative desires and emotions can be quite dangerous.. as is the misuse of will or trampling on others free will.

Wicca is not necessarily magick, it is a religion. (traditional) Witchcraft is a very different thing. High Magick something else again. Then there is mysticism… it's a very large subject.

If you're drawn to magic(k), then it will probably work for you. Some people like ritual as a way to focus their thoughts and energies, and it works for them. It doesn't hurt to try something out. If you're looking for books on it, I recommend anything by Starhawk.

Ritual goes against my personal grain (not sure why). I think I want my spiritual experience as more diffuse, less structured.