Goodbye Jesus

Friend Who's "not Religious" Is Unmistakably Christian

Tezia

Did she tell you that religion is people trying to reach out to God, but Christianity is God reaching down to you?

athiestbillboard.jpg

If this is real I would seriously pay to have one put up in my city. I live in a bible belt and would get sued about ever 20 seconds for this but it would be so worth it just to see how many people would get angry and if they found out who did it how many so called christians would send me death threats.

athiestbillboard.jpg

If this is real I would seriously pay to have one put up in my city. I live in a bible belt and would get sued about ever 20 seconds for this but it would be so worth it just to see how many people would get angry and if they found out who did it how many so called christians would send me death threats.

It is/was real. last year. It was in San Diego. San Diego Coalition of Reason and other atheist groups paid $4,000. To have the bill board put up for 4 weeks.

I would love to see that billboard around here. :)

This might sound harsh, but I tend to shy away from people who don't affirm what they believe. To say one isn't religious, but then in action...go about everything that is religious...is not a genuine person. Perhaps, she is confused. Perhaps not. But, it's just hard for me to be friends anymore with people who talk out of both sides of their mouth. You're either a believer, or not. Religous or not.

Just my pov.

OR they just don't take it seriously. That's not a crime, just the way it falls on the list of priorities in their lives. Christians would call them "Laodecian" or "Luke Warm".

and to that i say, why bother following something, or labeling yourself as one who follows something, if you don't practice it or believe in it? (in its entirety)

perhaps fear is what is motivating it, i don't know.

• 2 weeks later...

athiestbillboard.jpg

American Atheists pay for these and put them up. The also do legal work to keep church and state separate. I joined the other day to support their work (www.atheists.org)

I always think of that Scott Wesley Brown song when I hear the "not religious" mantra. It's nothing more than an attempt to set Christianity up on a pedestal above other religions by claiming that they have a "relationship" rather than a "religion." Many say that religion is man's feeble attempt to reach up to God on their own terms, while Christianity is God reaching down to man. It's complete bullshit. Christianity is absolutely a religion.

What I find rather ironic is that while they disdain "religion" and try to separate themselves from it, their own Bible paints "religion" as a positive thing:

James 1:27

Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Did she tell you that religion is people trying to reach out to God, but Christianity is God reaching down to you?

Ahhh I forgot about that one!! I used to say that all the time! *goes and hides under a rock out of embarassment*