Goodbye Jesus

At Last I Found The Answer I Was Looking For - Which Religion?

Hoohaa

I am an ex-christian. Dunnit for about 40 years, then realised something is WRONGWendystop.gif. I searched and searched through the quagmire of religions and then I found this:

PageofCupsBounce99.gif .It is an allmost mathematical way to clarify your view on the issue of religion. Don't fret about the title. Check it out first.  I'll waste my time and yours if I try and explain it to you myself. It takes some serious concentration! About 1 hour long - changed my life for good. Please reply with your thoughts after watching it.

Have a good one!

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

Will watching this video turn me into a Jew?

I hate those silly looking curls...

If it does, get out your scissors!!happydance.gif

I am an ex-christian. Dunnit for about 40 years, then realised something is WRONGWendystop.gif. I searched and searched through the quagmire of religions and then I found this:

PageofCupsBounce99.gif .It is an allmost mathematical way to clarify your view on the issue of religion. Don't fret about the title. Check it out first.  I'll waste my time and yours if I try and explain it to you myself. It takes some serious concentration! About 1 hour long - changed my life for good. Please reply with your thoughts after watching it.

Have a good one!

Wow seriously? 40 years and you are swayed by this gigantic assumption of assumptions?

for the love of it, he uses Applewhite as an example and he was already bat shit crazy. It doesn't help that the guy speaking sounds just as insane.

Why did I even waste ten seconds on that. Just more of the same with a pink bow rather than a blue.

Steve Bennet posted this video a while ago. The key thing comes down to the video's argument that all other religions are based on one guy's claim, but Judaism is not. The video imagines a religious founder as "Fred." Fred's claim to a revelation can't be checked so has "zero credibility." Judaism, says the guy on the video, is unique because God revealed himself to 3 million people at once at Mt. Sinai. No "Fred."

We've already pointed out the problems in this. To name a few:

1. not true that all religions go back to uncheckable claims by a "Fred." E.g. Hinduism, Shintoism, all sorts of tribal and folk religions, ancient "paganism" ...

2. the Mt. Sinai story appears in the midst of a narrative that has zero historical credibility. Since the entire Exodus has been shown to be myth (no archaeological traces of a journey by 3 million through a desert, etc etc), say goodbye to the "God talked to all our ancestors at Mt. Sinai" scene.

3. Other religions have stories of the god's manifesting himself to a group: Dionysos to the city of Thebes, stories about Krishna, etc.

4. Even Exodus has Moses receiving private, uncheckable revelations about all sorts of stuff. For example, that they should kill the guy who picked up sticks on Shabbos. So either the Fred stuff is operative big time in the development of the law and the entire religion, or the basis of the religion lies in ancestral myth and story. Either way, the foundations of Judaism can't be checked.

I believe this video is produced by Chabad, the outreach arm of the Lubavitcher Hasidim. Is that correct?

To be swayed by it requires that you already accept the historical accuracy of Exodus, because you need that pin in the argument from the Mt. Sinai scene. So you're already hooked. If you want to become Jewish, or even better, go all the way and become a Hasid, be my guest. They are a retrograde force in the world.

Hoohaa, are you Steve Bennet, by the way?

• Like 3

• Super Moderator

^^^That explains why my mind immediately jumped to "stevebennet" when I saw the OP.  Good catch, ficino; I suspected a connection, but couldn't make it myself.

The entire student population of Hogwarts has seen magic in action.  This proves magic is real.

Exodus is a novel.  One that is just as fantastic and just as magical as the Harry Potter series. 

Waste an hour on Steve Bennett? No way! I have a real life.