Goodbye Jesus

Scientists: Atheists May Not Exist—Seriously

Avandris

ficino, in post # 3:

"And if we evolved from monkeys... why do we still have monkeys?"

Why do we still have monkeys? (I need a good response to give Christians when they challenge evolution.)

Humans don't evolve from monkeys. Humans, bonobos, orangutans, gorillas, apes, chimps and monkeys shared a common ancestor long long long time ago. The closest relative of human is actually species bonobos. The latest scientific report (if I am not mistaken, check this for sure) says humans and bonobos split about 4 millions years ago.

Yeah, right. The fossils turned out to be fakes, planted by evolutionists. Like Piltdown Man.

ficino, in post # 3:

Why do we still have monkeys? (I need a good response to give Christians when they challenge evolution.)

Humans don't evolve from monkeys. Humans, bonobos, orangutans, gorillas, apes, chimps and monkeys shared a common ancestor long long long time ago. The closest relative of human is actually species bonobos. The latest scientific report (if I am not mistaken, check this for sure) says humans and bonobos split about 4 millions years ago.

Yeah, right. The fossils turned out to be fakes, planted by evolutionists. Like Piltdown Man.

Oh, that is the beauty of science. The Piltdown Man was exposed as hoax through science too. During years after the Piltdown Man, more and more fossils were uncovered and the Piltdown Man did not match with the new findings. Then the final proof: dating proved the Piltdown remains only a few hundred years.

Evolution is a family tree, not a ladder. (The metaphor of the “evolutionary ladder” is not even an oversimplification; it is just totally false.) Humans and modern monkeys share a common ancestor, which was more like a monkey than a human. In evolutionary parlance, monkeys are basal to the simian tree. (That, I fear, is an oversimplification, as monkeys are a very diverse group.)

The question is like asking, “If I’m descended from my grandparents, then why do I still have first cousins?”

UC Berkeley has a good introduction to evolution. Real evolution, not the straw men you were told by creationists.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

ficino, in post # 3:

Technically, I would say that bonobos are the closest extant relative of humans.  Neanderthals were much more closely related to moderns, close enough to interbreed, in fact.

• Like 1

Humans don't evolve from monkeys. Humans, bonobos, orangutans, gorillas, apes, chimps and monkeys shared a common ancestor long long long time ago.

I find it problematic to say that we didn't evolve from monkeys. Monkeys actually form two monophyletic groups (New World monkeys and Old World monkeys), which are totally separate from each other and from apes. (N.B. “Apes” includes humans.) However, it would be perverse to say that the most recent common ancestor all monkeys was not itself a monkey, and it is impossible to create a family tree of both groups of monkeys that doesn't also include the apes.

The most recent common ancestor of monkeys and humans is extinct, but if it were extant today, we would call it a monkey.

The closest relative of human is actually species bonobos. The latest scientific report (if I am not mistaken, check this for sure) says humans and bonobos split about 4 millions years ago.

Bonobos and chimpanzees are equally related to humans. (To say that we are more closely related to one than the other is like saying that you are more closely related to one first cousin than another.) They both share a common ancestral line, which in turn split off from a common ancestor with humans 4 to 7 million years ago.

• Like 2

In addition to what others have said above regarding evolution a quick one line response could be:

Question: "If humans evolved from apes why are there still apes?"

Answer: The same reason that we still have wolves even though all dogs descended from wolves.

• Like 1

The biggest problem I have with this "research" is that the reasoning behind it doesn't hold water even if we assume most of it is true. Lets assume we do believe in souls for a second. Lets assume we also believe in karma. Hell, even though they didn't mention it lets be generous and throw in magick, ghosts, psychic phenomena, and inter-dimensional beings while we are at it.

Why do any of these things require a great puppetmaster in the sky to exist? They don't. All of them can potentially exist without a divine creator if we instead assume they exist based on undiscovered physics. A "soul" could potentially exist in the realms of quantum physics and negative energy. Obviously we don't know and obviously it's very unlikely, but it is at least feasible. Our universe exists based on the laws of physics and reason, lawless laws of the void. Who is to say that a "spiritual realm" can't exist based on a similar set or rules, without need for a central creator? Why must we assume there is a God to explain phenomena we do not understand?

Looks like creationists have once again failed to understand that "I don't know" is a perfectly acceptable answer.

• Like 2

It would be easier for Christians, if atheists did not exist.

That's perhaps what they MEANT to say. biggrin.png

ficino, in post # 3:

Technically, I would say that bonobos are the closest extant relative of humans.  Neanderthals were much more closely related to moderns, close enough to interbreed, in fact.

yes you were right. If I am not mistaken a few weeks ago somebody posted an article about a hypothesis that humans and neanderthals interbred a long time ago. Was that you who posted it? I don't remember.

Humans don't evolve from monkeys. Humans, bonobos, orangutans, gorillas, apes, chimps and monkeys shared a common ancestor long long long time ago.

I find it problematic to say that we didn't evolve from monkeys. Monkeys actually form two monophyletic groups (New World monkeys and Old World monkeys), which are totally separate from each other and from apes. (N.B. “Apes” includes humans.) However, it would be perverse to say that the most recent common ancestor all monkeys was not itself a monkey, and it is impossible to create a family tree of both groups of monkeys that doesn't also include the apes.

The most recent common ancestor of monkeys and humans is extinct, but if it were extant today, we would call it a monkey.

The closest relative of human is actually species bonobos. The latest scientific report (if I am not mistaken, check this for sure) says humans and bonobos split about 4 millions years ago.

Bonobos and chimpanzees are equally related to humans. (To say that we are more closely related to one than the other is like saying that you are more closely related to one first cousin than another.) They both share a common ancestral line, which in turn split off from a common ancestor with humans 4 to 7 million years ago.

Ah yes. You are right. I have to brush up on my evolutionary biology and zoology.

Ah yes. You are right. I have to brush up on my evolutionary biology and zoology.

Credit Aron Ra for the information, and Wikipedia to translate it into English.

ficino, in post # 3:

The answer is that anthropologists NEVER said that humans evolved from monkeys. NEVER. The fact is that humans and apes evolved from a common ancestor. Tell your friends.