Goodbye Jesus

Terrible Dreams

chrisdownunder

Did you have terrible dreams after leaving christianity, and why does it happen?

If I put my dreams in writing, I'd be locked away.  But I left christianity 24 years ago when I was 13.  I don't recall dreams like these til I was in my 20's.

I can't really say I had terrible dreams after leaving but I had terrible dreams once in a while and sometimes I have still.

So depends on the terribleness and the frequency and the feelings they evoke, it can be a sign of post traumatic stress disorder.

When I was a child I had terrible nightmares in high frequency and pretty violent. Then in my later teenage years I had some nightmares where I spoke my last prayers just before someone tore my lungs out of my body or drowned my head in boiling oil. And looking at my history there clearly is a connection to trauma.

Or it can also be just stress. I had stress related situations when prepared for some exams the past two years that where quite scary...

No, I don't often have nightmares anymore. I found that when I sleep too warmly that I get weird or scary dreams. I now keep my feet and legs out from under the covers to regulate my body temperature and I rarely have icky dreams now.

I have had some intensely creative dreams after deconverting. My mind or shadow self wanted to see what I would do with "the devil" now that I don't believe. My initial reaction was to try and speak the name of Jesus (while feeling like my body was unable to speak), but then realized what I was doing and said clearly "No, I don't need Jesus to do this. I need to do this." I talked to this being in my dream and realized that he was actually me and that I didn't need to be afraid anymore, that this creative and free-minded being had been pushed down and vilified by my faith in Christianity.

Terrible dreams - no.

I used to have nightmares when I was a lot younger, but took the conscious decision that they were my dreams, I was therefore the biggest, baddest monster in them and they would go as I wanted.  Don't know why, but it worked - I recall attacking and dismembering a monster in one such dream thereafter, and they then ceased.

When I was moving out of Christianity I did dream that I was in an "occult supplies" type store.  Two persons already there were clearly surprised and disturbed to see me on account of my Christian past.  That is the only dream related to Christian deconversion that I can recall.

• Like 1

Did you have terrible dreams after leaving christianity, and why does it happen?

No.

No dreams. Your dreams are probably a result of your anxiety, nothing more.