Goodbye Jesus

What If Jesus Was A Nice Guy

themonkeyman

Considering he never wrote anything down,  How do we know he was not just a guy who teached love and peace and had the Government of Rome butcher his views and turn him into a God?

Sometimes I think Jesus gets it rough like Judas - I think stuff was put into their mouths that they probably would not say.

Ultimatly if Jesus is God though he failed to stop writers putting the bullshit into books.

Ultimatly if Jesus is God though he failed to stop writers putting the bullshit into books.

Also, maybe he should have stopped and thought about the consequences of his tower of babel decision before he blew his stack.

I've often thought that Jesus (the historical person) could have existed, but not the depiction as we have come to know it in the NT.

The real life jesus may or may not have existed.  He could've been the nicest guy in Palestine.

It's the sensationalized myths that grew around his persona that made him evil, not those who are now repulsed by his modern caricature. 

The only thing that may safely be said is that if Jesus existed, we know very little about what he was actually like.

I think it is doubtful that anyone currently living has an accurate understanding of who Jesus was or what he stood for. History is by no means an exact science.  It's virtually impossible for a professional reporter in today's world to get an event 100% accurate unless the whole thing was video taped, and even then it is very difficult. But 2000 years ago? Get real.  bill

• Like 1

The truth is that we'll never know.

Let's pretend for a moment.

You're all decent folks, so let's say you became full time philosophers and became pillars of the community for your unselfishness and friendliness.

Then you died, you got a very nice burial, hell even the mayor came and recanted all the things you did for the town.

10 years go by, and some people started telling your stories again, but this time they embellished bits and pieces. 

Another 10 years go by and those stories became wilder and wilder.  10 more years fly by and now you've achieved the powers of Superman according to these tales.

10 years after, you're now a god with unlimited power.  People accepted your teachings as devine, they raise up churches in your name, they kill each other over your words.

Now let's say aliens came, looked at your grave, and fully reconstructed you with some unknown advanced medical procedure.

What would your reaction be towards the people who just made up shit about you throughout those years?

• Like 1

We don't know that he wasn't nice. We don't even know if he actually believed he was God. All I have to go on is the bible, so I have no reason to believe if either of the Xian assumptions about him are true. What annoys me is that Jesus is held up as an example of pure goodness. People think he was tolerant, that he made friends with prostitutes and other people who weren't liked by society. When Xians spout nonsense about "marriage is between a man and a woman," everyone else asks if they think Jesus would have felt that way. Although people assume that Jesus was a great teacher/activist for acceptance/radical/whatever, they don't know that. The only thing we know for certain about him is that Xians worship him. Not that he was nice, or great, or that he even existed. I wish he would lose his glossy image. Though I guess Buddha has a similar reputation for wisdom and greatness. But Jesus is far too important in our Western culture. He really wasn't anything except a guy who made the cult famous.

Hanging out at a UU some recently, it's interesting to me how the "good guy" Jesus gets brought up frequently but his teachings on hell (as recorded in the NT) and his extraordinary guilt trips do not.

I've never met the guy, so I don't really know...