Goodbye Jesus

Grown Ups/little Kids

seeker

I need to rant. Invisible Gods. It will be the end of man kind. Were so smart....so smart that the end

of us will be beliefs in invisible men that torture and mame their own creations. I truly believe we are very dumb in the scheme of things...very low on the evolutionary scale. Very young. We still behave like primates. I think about how convinced I was that Santa was real. I had ways of proving it, presents, cookies that were eaten, letters from! I even swore I saw his reindeer! Think about that. Is it really that much different? And why do parents teach it? To keep their kids in line! To control....religion is the SAME thing. A man sitting atop of mountain thousands of years ago claims God spoke to him and ONLY him when NO ONE was around! HOLY BUNCH OF BULLSHIT....How the FUCK did this last so long! "God likes me and MY people and MY land more then you! Because YOU didn't choose him...na na na na poo poo". This planet is hopeless. We have a leader who believes 99% of the world is going to hell and that an invisbile man talks to him. And we have other leaders of other countrys who believe the same thing...these are the "Grown ups? the MEN???"

You strive and strive for something that is IMPOSSIBLE to obtain! And it makes you feel guilty in the process....it holds your mind down and traps you. Fear is the ultimate form of control.

Nothing tops it.

You strive and strive for something that is IMPOSSIBLE to obtain! And it makes you feel guilty in the process....it holds your mind down and traps you. Fear is the ultimate form of control.

Nothing tops it.

I think all the atheists around here share those perceptions. I do. Whenever I get to that point of disgust that you illustrated, I want to deepen my understanding of how this works. To do so, I find interesting answers in thinking how these beliefs serve the believer, forming a positive psychic function. Granted, it's equally as clear to me as you have pointed out that these functions guarantee lifelong dissatiafaction by striving for something impossible to attain. And that is at the center of their motivations as I see it now. It is the essential unattainability of a goal from the behaviors that make these beliefs desirable for the kind of insecurity that is fearful of failure. In other words, rather than risking any sense of self or label of pride being contingent on success in this life, I see the righteous as defering all demonstrable outcomes to be evidenced in the afterlife to relieve them from the stress of being proved wrong, or of changing what they do to get what they want, or of realizing that they are incompetent. Instead of the stress of being responsible for results, it is far easier to be a believer in what is right, and be satisfied in being a good person in doing so. It's this role of being the good believer that is essentially dangerous, in my opinion, because it can create and sustain a cultural climate where it is desirable to go along with whatever is labeled as right and good for all by giving prideful recognition to people for merely believing something, for being faithful. We can see that today in how Bush supporters describe their positions. Listen carefully, as you hear people describe how they "believe" in the president, and notice the peace and comfort that is induced in them just by hearing themselves say that out loud. And then try to question any policy, and you will then find that this quickly becomes a discussion of what type of person you are, in contrast to them and the other believers in what is good and right for all. In that process, they will try to force you to answering yes or no to a number of beliefs that they openly enjoy proclaiming alligiance to out of faith, the more faith required, the better. Because that makes them more of a believer, the more of a believer, the greater your accomplishments in being good and righteous. That is where the danger lurks, when we have a social climate where people find their prideful strivings to be more and to do better being satisfied by how much they can believe with the least amount of evidence. A burgeoning culture of mindlessness.