Goodbye Jesus

Women In The Ministry And Teachings Of Jesus

ironhorse

Ok Ironhorse...

Let's see if you've honored your father and mother by doing what they taught you... that is, to question everything.

You attend a local Baptist church.

So, do you question everything you hear and read there - as a true skeptic would?

Or do you simply accept what you see and hear by faith, without questioning it?

You agree with the position of the priesthood of the believer.

Have you questioned everything about this - as a true skeptic would?

Or do you simply accept everything about this by faith, without questioning it?

You also agree with the other historic Baptist positions on the major doctrines of the faith.

You also agree with the historic Baptist positions on the minor doctrines of the faith.

You quoted Galatians 3 : 28

Have you questioned the validity of this verse - as a true skeptic would?

Or do you just accept the whole Bible as true (by faith), without questioning it?

You mention the three preaching daughters of Philip, in Acts 21 : 9

"He had four unmarried daughters who prophesied."

Have you questioned your recall of this Bible verse before citing it - as a true skeptic would have?

Before mistaking three daughters for four and before mistaking prophesying for preaching?

Or do you just have faith that your memory of scripture is AOK?

(Bump!)

And Jesus called another woman a dog. Can't be bothered to dig up the verse, but it's in there.

I seem to recall one of the Christians here trying to claim that the translation for "dog" was misleading, and that it was actually a term of endearment. That's a stupid position to take. Don't bother trying it.

Wondered myself what this verse meant. Found this "helpful" website "teaching". It's about humbling ourselves, of course. Reminds me of emotional and psychological abuse, really.

The apologetic attempts to put forth the notion that Jesus was doing the woman a favor by insulting her, which resulted in her learning how to be humble and pray.

I suspect if Jesus had kicked her, spit in her face, and told her she was a child of the Devil, apologists would be saying "Praise Jesus, the great teacher!".

These people could rationalize the ears off of a jack rabbit.

I read the page.

Wow! For a moment or two, I thought this site was being satirical. Jesus was helping the woman by insulting her with a racial slur. Calling her a "dog" was teaching her humility. Denying her request was teaching her perseverance. What do we learn from his twice rebuffing her? That the "third time's a charm!" (My sarcasm).

The apologetic reminds me of a Mother Teresa story where she tells a person suffering terrible pain that Jesus was kissing them.

It's the old "suffering is good for you" excuse.

I liked FTNZ's Link. However, they forgot one passage from the old testament that is a pretty heavyhanded clincher:

Proverbs 31.

I came face to face with it when in the back room of a church where we went, I was one of the musicians there. A woman started going on about Proverbs 31, telling us all that we men were responsible for it. Huh, I hadn't written it. So I went and read it. I remember telling her I think it's some kind of myth, didn't blame her for not liking it. And then she turned on me on account of calling something in the Bible myth. lol. What can I say. It's somebody's pipe dream. But I'm sure there are sects, like wherever that particular woman came from, where they tell women to live up to that. It looked like a pipe dream to me, even as a Xian. So guessing they have to indoctrinate pretty severely to get women to try and come up to that. Maybe part of the Quiverful crowd or something.

Anyway I am surprised the website left out the Proverbs 31 Pipe Dream. Perhaps it is so far out that nobody actually buys it, or very few do. I certainly knew no male Xians who did.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Super Moderator

Ok Ironhorse...

Let's see if you've honored your father and mother by doing what they taught you... that is, to question everything.

You attend a local Baptist church.

So, do you question everything you hear and read there - as a true skeptic would?

Or do you simply accept what you see and hear by faith, without questioning it?

You agree with the position of the priesthood of the believer.

You also agree with the other historic Baptist positions on the major doctrines of the faith.

You also agree with the historic Baptist positions on the minor doctrines of the faith.

You quoted Galatians 3 : 28

Have you questioned the validity of this verse - as a true skeptic would?

Or do you just accept the whole Bible as true (by faith), without questioning it?

You mention the three preaching daughters of Philip, in Acts 21 : 9

"He had four unmarried daughters who prophesied."

Have you questioned your recall of this Bible verse before citing it - as a true skeptic would have?

Before mistaking three daughters for four and before mistaking prophesying for preaching?

Or do you just have faith that your memory of scripture is AOK?

(Bump!)

Bumped on BAA's behalf.  Ironhorse, please make good on the promise you have made to address all of the issues put before you.

The Bible is Mythology not a divinely inspired instruction manual. It is just as irrelevant as any other fairy tale. That's why people, like in any other cult, have to be brainwashed before they will take it seriously.

Debating the meaning of scripture is silly and a complete waste of time and energy BECAUSE it's mythology not history. Duh! glare.gif