Goodbye Jesus

There's No Such Thing As Safe Sex

bfuddled

This was posted all over my FB today and liked up and down by most of the christian people.

http://themattwalshblog.com/2014/08/05/i-will-not-teach-my-kids-about-safe-sex/

Matt Walsh is pretty much a douchebag, so I'm not surprised at his opinion, but I'm frustrated because there's so much wrong with what he's saying that I don't know where to start to refute it. The bad thing is that the majority of people posting/liking the post are kids in our church's youth group who have bought this whole BS hook, line and sinker, and don't realize the damage they are doing to themselves.

I still have so many mixed emotions/ideas about sexuality that I don't know what's up on this subject. But I do know that I HATE the way the church approaches it and I wish I could erase all that programming in my head and start over.

Any ideas/thoughts on comments or ways I could approach this article with someone?

This was posted all over my FB today and liked up and down by most of the christian people.

http://themattwalshblog.com/2014/08/05/i-will-not-teach-my-kids-about-safe-sex/

Matt Walsh is pretty much a douchebag, so I'm not surprised at his opinion, but I'm frustrated because there's so much wrong with what he's saying that I don't know where to start to refute it. The bad thing is that the majority of people posting/liking the post are kids in our church's youth group who have bought this whole BS hook, line and sinker, and don't realize the damage they are doing to themselves.

I still have so many mixed emotions/ideas about sexuality that I don't know what's up on this subject. But I do know that I HATE the way the church approaches it and I wish I could erase all that programming in my head and start over.

Any ideas/thoughts on comments or ways I could approach this article with someone?

I pretty much despise the way the church approaches any subject because it removes man and his effort from the equation and allows them to deny any responsibility in fucking people up.

Pretty much "god did it" is an excuse for nothing other than ones own ignorance.

This is the same shit that was spouted in abstinence only education classes. There's no such thing as safe sex, well, unfortunately, even waiting until your married is not a 100% guarantee. Spouses cheat before and during marriage, and some of those who swear abstinence are going to find that out the hard way and in some cases already probably have. 

While it's technically true that abstinence is the only safe sex, that completely ignores the various degress of safe possible. There's an entire range from unprotected with someone carelessly promiscusious, unprotected with a virgin, unprotected with someone who's been careful and just tested negative for STDs, improper use of birth control, proper use of birth control, various types of birth control, and combinging birth control methods. And safe from what? STD or pregnancy?

What about rape? If it happens, I hope the kids would be informed enough to know what to do within the legal system, what to say to their doctor, know to get checked out before, say, having sex with their spouse. They should know enough about disease transmission and birth control methods to know how much risk they are now at (and enough lack of shame to be honest with future partners about any diseases they may have contracted from it).

Mono is "the kissing disease", but you can still get it from sharing food or drink with someone, so if you're concerned about disease transmission vectors, even non-sexual saliva sharing should be discussed.

The other point (I heard that even secular sex ed tends to miss this one) is the whole emotional aspect of relationships. Avoiding sex won't prevent you from getting in an abusive relationship or getting your heart broken.

• Like 2

I get so infuriated at articles like this because I feel like these ideas, and being raised Catholic, are why I am so screwed up over the topic of sex.

The irony is that there are a few valid points in the article that would probably be helpful if addressed and discuss among teens, however the reaction instead is "ZOMG that's why jayzus wants you to remain pure until he blesses you with hoooooly matrimony!"

Stupid. Not helpful.

Sex, especially the emotional aspects of it, can be complex. Even for adults. EVEN after the magical marriage. But instead of acknowledging any of it, let's just pretend like God's plan for marriage is perfect, stick our heads in the sand and avoid, avoid, avoid.

After taking a comprehensive psych course on Human Sexuality I'm convinced it should be required for all high school aged kids. Objective and honest information is way better than "don't do it" 

SexEdLikeDriversEd_zps868c155e.jpg

• Like 5

Religion, namely Christianity, has impressed upon us, that sex should be a sacred, bonding event between two committed adults in preferably a marriage. While I like much of what this article states, it still underscores how religion treats sex. The author equates putting sex outside of marriage, on the same level as lying and vandalism. Lol!

I get his point, I do. But whether intended or not, the author is implying that sex outside of marriage, is sinful and thus, there is no "safe way" to sin.

i am not married,,,,

i have needs,,,,,

there are condoms,,,,

i have many fun and enjoyable moments,,,,,,

i don't have STDs,,,,

I don't have hair on my palms also,,,,,,

safe sex? what is that,,,

Ah, so many weird arguments. I guess his children will go out and have sex sooner as he likes to.

The only reason I had no sex when I was a teenager was, that I had no one who was interested in me and that was because I was shy and inferior. The concept of not having sex before marriage came into my life by accident but it would have come later on anyways. So I had NO sexual education at all to that point and if I had sex at that age I would have ended up pregnant. So thanks God I was shy and inferior...

I guess this guy has twenty kids because he is not using condoms and his wife is not taking the pill because the only positive sex is resulting in a baby...his words.

Really, if there where no people who listen to such nonsense it would be quite amusing.

He says that premarital sex would create fears and problems that could be avoided if you simply waited for the right time. Ah. And what about the fears that increase tremendously by wanting to wait because you want to avoid those fears but for whatever reason you happen to have sex with someone...and then those fears grow so big they become anxiety disorder? And because you thought you would wait for marriage you don't have a condom ready and are not taking contraceptives...those fears become real issues instead of remaining fears...

Don't know if I can give you anything that is of use in a debate. Just my thoughts on the topic.

I think you can teach your child about contraceptives and condoms and at the same time advice them to be truthful. Though I think it is more effective if you show your child respect and love, teach it how to think for itself and be critical, to understand when someone is interested in you for real and when someone just wants to play, to say no and stick with it, to know oneself and know when a yes is a yes...oh...I guess that would be too much because it means the Child would see through all the BS of Christianity...

It's much easier to make everything right and wrong, black and white, yes and no, and credit God's perfect plan when things work out and blame our sinful, weak flesh when then don't, instead of actually educating people on the physical, emotional and health related aspects of human sexuality.

Matt Walsh is the biggest douche in the universe. I can't read his stuff. It makes me too angry. I stop reading as soon as I see his name.

• Like 1

Guest ninurta

There's no such thing as safe living. You can catch deadly diseases from the foods you eat, especially them fruits you don't cook. That being said, risk reduction and safer sex practices, like with safer food handling practices, reduces that risk by quite a lot. No need to live in fear, you can catch some kind of disease just sitting home alone in your room, if the wrong flea or bug comes in and bites you. You might as well live your life.

• Like 1

There's no such thing as safe living. You can catch deadly diseases from the foods you eat, especially them fruits you don't cook. That being said, risk reduction and safer sex practices, like with safer food handling practices, reduces that risk by quite a lot. No need to live in fear, you can catch some kind of disease just sitting home alone in your room, if the wrong flea or bug comes in and bites you. You might as well live your life.

If life was safe or safe all the time it would be a boring drudgery. I would rather just be dead at that point.

risk is what makes life worth living to its fullest I feel.