Goodbye Jesus

Non Believing Psychiatrist

mydisplayname

So post-deconversion I find myself unable to go to the psychiatrist that diagnosed and treated my anxiety depression a couple of years ago.

I would like to go off my medication, but want to do it right. My normal doctor just refers me to my psychiatrist. So my options are to go to a fundie psychiatrist or stay on my meds.

I don't like her and don't want to go to her.

I googled non-religious psychology and can't find a single one in my country. If they're out there then they're not advertising.

Any ideas?

I'm betting the psychiatrists' professional association should be able to help you out.  You will probably need to speak to someone there.

I've been to at least six psychiatrists and none of them ever mentioned religion except in response to my own mention of religion. I know that because I never cared about religion until a few years ago, and the topic never came up in therapy. After religion became a source of stress for me and I tended to mention it then the psychiatrists would suggest things like exploring Buddhism.

So if you try a fresh psychiatrist and don't mention religion, then you can probably expect them to avoid that topic as well. The problem of course is that religion probably is a factor in your psychological state due to deconversion. So I don't know.

You don't have to see that one psych, ask for a different referral.

In a previous thread, Dr. No referencedThe secular therapist project. Google that and you will find their page. They help people find secular therapists in their area. Hope that helps.

Guest Marty

So post-deconversion I find myself unable to go to the psychiatrist that diagnosed and treated my anxiety depression a couple of years ago.

I would like to go off my medication, but want to do it right. My normal doctor just refers me to my psychiatrist. So my options are to go to a fundie psychiatrist or stay on my meds.

I don't like her and don't want to go to her.

I googled non-religious psychology and can't find a single one in my country. If they're out there then they're not advertising.

Any ideas?

I went to see a therapist in my late 20's early 30's.  When I walked into my first therapists office the very first thing I noticed was her crucifix necklace and thought "uh oh" because one of my main reasons for seeing someone was I was intensely angry at religion and I couldn't figure out why.  I only lasted a few weeks because she kept telling me it was only my perception of the church, they are not really like that.  She was catholic, and when she told me the church does not lie, I brought up her pope telling africans condoms spread AIDS and then said I need a therapist that is rational and not a cult member and walked out of the session.

I then interviewed my prospective therapists over the phone.  I explained one of my issues is religion, and I need to know right here and now if they are believers.  Quite a few seemed shocked or taken aback at the question, but I think they all understood wanting to find a therapist that is the right fit.  Most said they are not religious, but I asked each one if they went to services at all, or every week, or never.  Only one (out of about 10) therapists said she was not religious and did not attend services ever.  She was actually just like me in the sense she grew up religious but left as soon as she was old enough and never looked back.  She became my new therapist.

Just be honest and upfront before you even book an appointment.  Tell them you have had bad experiences and you do not want a repeat of the same with a different doctor.